Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 Stang Gt question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 02:22 PM
11stang11

Default 2011 Stang Gt question

Just picked up a 2011 mustang gt from a dealership with 4k on it. The dealership said that the car is how it came from the factory, but I am a car dude with some knowledge and knew better. The dealership didn't know what they had essentially. Car has header back Bassani exhaust, Roush suspension mods, Roush intake, and some other odds and ends.

My question is, how can I find out if the person who owned it before me put a aftermarket tune on it? If so, I worry about voiding warranty. If there is a tune on it already, is the warranty voided from now on for the motor no matter what? Thanks for the help
Old 08-06-2011, 02:49 PM
2011CS/GT
2nd Gear Member

Did they mention that the car still had a warranty on it? A lot of times that is also on the sticker which I assume they peeled off and gave to you. If it states there is a warranty I would think they have no choice but to live up to it. It is up to them to figure out what they are selling in my opinion. Guess the only problem might be proving it was there before you bought the car. If you just bought it go back and discuss what you have and get something in writing. I would go over all the mods and list them out then make them sign it. Just my .02.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:03 PM
11stang11

I asked them a couple of times. They said the car still has the regular warranty on it, and to their knowledge the car came this way from the factory. I was nervous about it so I asked and they did inform me the car was this way from the factory.

I might ask to get their words in writing, we will see I guess. I just hope it doesn't have a tune on it at all and their won't be a problem.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:03 PM
11stang11

The window sticker does say warranty checked on it clearly, so I guess I am in the clear regardless. I wouldn't think that Ford would expect the customer to make sure their car has a stock tune in it if the car was sold with a warranty from a dealership. I would guess either Ford or the specific dealership I bought it from would be responsible.

To my knowledge Ford can see what date the tune was altered. If their is a tune, it will be before I even bought the car. My additional bumper to bumper is covered by a 3rd party company too. So I have 2 warranties right now I guess. Just switched from a WRX to this and Subaru dealerships sucked terribly. Don't want some BS from Ford to start out my new ownership because I am in love with my car
Old 08-07-2011, 10:32 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

They are treading on grounds of fraud. They clearly sold you a car that is used. Even dealerships authorized to sell Roush mod packages do not come off the lot with 4000 miles on the odo.

Don't worry about the warranty because your papers prove the sold you the car with one. And record a phone call with them where you are specifically telling them all the mods they sold to your car came with. Make them repeat that all that came from the factory like that so they have no grounds to dare claim you modded the car when in fact the car was sold to you with that stuff already bolted on.

With your papers and such a phone recording, you have protection against them daring to denying you warranty. They cannot say YOU modded the car when in fact they sold you a modded car.

Also, to give yourself another weapon, try looking up you VIN in the DMV records go be certain your car in fact did not have a previous owner. I believe you can even look in the Federal databases, maybe under the USDOT website.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 PM
11stang11

Thanks for the input man. I am going to see them monday here. I am assuming that since the car was sold to me as "stock" and said it still had an existing car warranty from Ford, they would have no choice but to cover it if some BS happened. I would think it is their responsibility to know what the car has before they sell it. They did disclose to me that it came that way from the factory and it still had Fords warranty though it. It was from a huge dealership in Chicago, so not like they don't have to money to cover their mistake (if they did make one).
Old 08-07-2011, 02:53 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I bet the car was modified by a dealer and dealer driven....never titled....and still sold as new. I would really look into that deal.........
Old 08-07-2011, 03:49 PM
11stang11

Had a friend look up the vin, it didn't show anything at all. no news is good news type deal.

Any tips on the best way to go about this? or at least to make sure my *** and money are covered? I am not going to mod this car until the warranty is gone, so I want to make sure I have my warranty since it is a DD!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM
11stang11

Edit, it did show one previous owner. Which I new the car was used, it had 4k on it.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:03 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

It was the previous owner that put on the mods from what I can gather. The only mods dealers will install are FRPP stuff or an entire mod package authorized by the dealer and the recognized modder, Roush or Steeda or Saleen for example

Quick Reply: 2011 Stang Gt question