Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Making 500+ hp naturally aspirated

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I commend you on this.
We decided to stay N/A on our 06GT.
We made a big mod dent in the sucker... but ended up trading it in for the GT500 before we were finished with it.

I do love my GT500 and the blower is BAD ***.

But on the GT's....I must admit there is something about a self modded, naturally aspirated, big power producing engine that is just AWESOME.

I read in every single thread when people talk about doing such things "blower is easier, blower this blower that.", yes... most know it is easier to strap on a blower and most know they will end up putting more power down when it comes right down to it but sometimes the goal is NOT the most power you can get, the easiest and cheapest way.

Sometimes the fun is in the challenge.

Congrats OP on the project and I hope to see a thread not too far down the road about you and your 500RWHP N/A GT!
Old 10-01-2011, 05:28 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

just the first message of this stream was soooo far over my head. i hope to be able to partake in conversations like this at some point in my life
Old 10-02-2011, 07:04 AM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cjs06
I definitely agree with you on spinning the motor higher to make that kind of power. However, THIS is JPCs dyno of their custom cams/ ported head/ Boss Intake combo making 507 at 7550rpms. I can't find any info about the duration of their cams and this is on stock coyote rods/pistons.

Mabey good sizeable cams and 8000rpms is enough to get there.
That's a nice combo and they still have 400ftlbs at 6000 rpm. Some of these N/A cars are running 10's. A 5.3 stroker would give a good 30-40 more ftlb thru the whole power band and calm the nerves a bit at high rpm.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

(I know I'm a noob to y'all) ... But I've been doing a LOT of research into the Coyote over the last 4-6 months, and just the other day I ran across something where one of the tuning shops (I want to say Lethal but not sure) dynoed at 485wph with JUST bolt on's, and I THINK it was on an Automatic car. If that IS the case, I don't see how 500wph is unatainable with bolt-ons and a great tune on 93 or better fuel.

Combo would look something like this: Longtubes, Offroad X-Pipe, 3" Mid-Pipes and 3" Straight-backs, Boss Manifold, FRPP Throttle Body, JLT CAI, and a pretty agressive tune.

Of course, now you're looking at not getting the power to the ground, and suspension mods and nice gummy tires are next on the list. I'd personnally install a short shifter with the revised remote-mount bushing...and Aluminum driveshaft.

This is just solely on research and automotive experience over the years. Just my $0.02

Ditty
Old 10-04-2011, 05:04 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I definitely agree with you on spinning the motor higher to make that kind of power. However, THIS is JPCs dyno of their custom cams/ ported head/ Boss Intake combo making 507 at 7550rpms.
They definitely did something. And this proves something that makes a world of difference in the real world, on the street and on the track: You want horsepower based on TORQUE and not high RPMs.

As in that graph, you can see that this engine held onto that torque like white on rice above 7000 RPM. And because of that, they did not have to rev to 8000 RPM to reach that magic 500 horsepower. You can see that at 7500, their engine was still making above 350 ft-lbf. 50ft-lbf does not sound like much more above 300 ft-lbf, but it does make a real world difference when the wheels are on the track. And when you calculate using 350ft-lbf, you are a tiny pinch above 500 horsepower.

Whatever combo they used, they did the head porting, cam selection, intake & exhaust mods right and tuned it all together great to get that all-desired torque so that you dont have to rev towards 9000 RPM to get 500 horsepower.
And I assume all this was measured at the wheels, not at the flywheel.

Was the headwork cheap? No. That probably cost them ~$3000-4000 just for the heads, valves, cams.

As for the pistons and rods, I would have at the very least upgraded to the Boss 302 forged pistons and thicker sintered conrods. Though the Boss conrods are still fake forged, they are still superior to the stock fake forged ones because they use better metals and are pressed to thicker dimensions.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 PM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

JPC 500hp Package It's a pricey package.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:51 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Ouch! That is alot, but of course, headwork is always mega-expensive, in the same caliber price range as a blower, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

And from the looks of this kit, the absolute centerpiece of are the heads and cams. I assume the cams you exchange in/purchase from them have longer durations and/or lifts with possibly aggressive profiles. What I mean by aggressive is faster opening and closing rates and longer durations which the valves remain close to fully open.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM
'12fivepointoh

I remember when JPC first posted that video they said that head/cam package was considered a "stage 1" head/cam package or something along those lines. In other words a more aggressive package was on the way which in theory would mean more power was to be had n/a from the coyote.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Sadly, the limiting factor on the Coyote is the lift. Ford already has it nearly maxed at 12mm. The BOSS is JUST short of 13mm. 13mm is the LIMIT. Other than a custom newly designed head, 13mm is as far as it's going to get, and that means NO safety margin. (I like some safety margin.) Also, I remember reading something about limiting the cam advance or something. I'll have to see if I can find it.

I STILL feel that w/ a good tune, 500whp is possible w/out opening the engine at all! With the right paring of intake and exhaust upgrades, it should be pretty easy, (But not really cheap).

Really, I'd rather have a broad power range than a 'high' HP number. Anyone can get a car to 500+whp at 10,000 rpm, and the rest of the usable RPM range is worthless. (Look at the dyno-queen Supras. Making 1200hp w/ a gigantic turbo that won't spool until 5000rpm. You can't drive that daily.)

I vote for the vedors to keep plugging away w/ the bolt-ons and get us OVER 500whp N/A!!! I'd buy the parts! (Once the warranty is out! LOL)
Old 10-09-2011, 08:24 AM
scott4.6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
Just my own opinion but I don't think Track Key will ever go public, it's been too long and there is some serious rumors going around on Blue Oval that it failed CARB again yesterday.....just FYI. I also don't think Fords latest commercial helped it's self with getting the Track Key through.
whats a track key?

Quick Reply: Making 500+ hp naturally aspirated