Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

5.0 longevity on boost?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'd be asking how long they last after they have been around for 4yrs.
NO WAY I'd be running high boost on those things though.
I would not be pushing that thing with 600rwhp either.
That's certainly some cool-aid I would not be drinking.

The BOSS should handle more than the GT of course.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 10-06-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Riptide
These aren't some sorta supercar here. The engines seem pretty stout for a stock piece as do the transmissions so far but give it time and people will break things. You don't put 600+whp in a otherwise stock car and expect things to just magically hold together year after year. Mark my words, these cars are gonna be breaking on people, and a lotta guys won't even have the note paid for before they end up having to start dumping money into the pit.
I COMPLETELY agree.
The numbers along with the tranny in these just don't add up.
Yup, you will be seeing these breaking on people.
I bet we see it a good time before a year on many as well.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:12 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Being the devil's advocate here since nobody else seems interested...

You honestly think a 5.0 with a stock transmission and 600+whp is going to hold together forever? Don't drink the koolaid dude. These cars have been out not even 2 years now and if you think Ford really put a built transmission (and yes it's built if it's honestly gonna take that power forever) in a frickin GT then you may be in for a surprise. BTW that blower kit for the 5.0 is gonna set you back 7-8 big ones easy.

These aren't some sorta supercar here. The engines seem pretty stout for a stock piece as do the transmissions so far but give it time and people will break things. You don't put 600+whp in a otherwise stock car and expect things to just magically hold together year after year. Mark my words, these cars are gonna be breaking on people, and a lotta guys won't even have the note paid for before they end up having to start dumping money into the pit.

Hope I'm wrong. I doubt it.
600whp?? Where did you get that number from? I was more or less looking at 500whp on low boost (5-6 psi), from what I understand.. that's pretty damn reliable. More so than I would say on my 3v@12-13 psi in order to get those numbers. I had a V3 HO kit and it was an absolute dog off the line, on the freeway if was awesome though..

I was just speculating anyways.. reading so many companies running 9-10's got me thinking of how valid those times/mods lists really are

Kinda like back in the day, I thought all I needed was a supercharger and tires to run low 11's.. yeah, a little more to it than that..
Old 10-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Mishri
i think the automatic transmission and engine will hold 600whp reliably.

No way no how do I think you are right about that.
No way I think it would hold that reliably for the long haul.

Me no drink that cool-aid.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:06 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Guys have run SC and turbo, professional modders now, on the Coyote and are pulling 10's or less on a stock 6R80 tranny.

I remember in one mag article, several modders, most of them professional, had built Coyotes (all forged, FI, modded a good bit), and the vast majority in the top 5 had 6R80 trannies. The guys with the MT82 were not in the top 5, and gravitated lower in the rankings.

Only one top 5 modder/racer had a manual, and he tore out his MT82 in favor of a TKO600 because he broke his MT82 on NA mods even before he had the chance to add any FI!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

People have gone 10s and well into 130+ trap speeds with a stock TR3650. Doesn't mean it's gonna last.

You want it to last you'll end up building it.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:20 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

People have gone 10s and well into 130+ trap speeds with a stock TR3650. Doesn't mean it's gonna last.

You want it to last you'll end up building it.
^^^This.

The stock manual trannies historically dropped into 'Stangs have been rated barely just at what the rated flywheel HP & torque is.
You might be able to get several or even a hundred passes on a stock MT82, but somewhere down the line, it is going to give where a built tranny will be much more reliable.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Yes. 600whp with good tune. thats the number.

also, by riptide's definition the terminator must have been a supercar... since you can put 600whp through the otherwise stock car and have it last...

blacksmoke is just upset that his GT500 is an inferior performance platform compared to the 5.0 (due to the weight on the front).

Last edited by Mishri; 10-12-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The terminator wasn't a GT dude. Apples to oranges comparison there.

If you make 600 on that car and you are serious about racing it, and I'm not talking about taking it down the track a few times just to get a slip, then enjoy your broken transmission. Because it'll happen eventually. Pay to play..
Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

^^That is such a true statement.

And this is not true just for 'Stangs, but cars of all brands. I have seen it happen to Chevy's and Dodges. Guys would throw in the most powerful big blocks they could build and not even upgrade or build up the tranny. Broken gears left and right. Stripped rear diff bevel teeth. Thrown driveshafts from weak u-joints.

Quick Reply: 5.0 longevity on boost?