Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

5.0 longevity on boost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:40 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default 5.0 longevity on boost?

Whats the longevity of the stock motor with 10 psi with say, an Edelbrock or a Roush 2300?

Reason I ask is, I eventually plan on going forged with my 4.6 but can't help but wonder how long the new 5.0's last with a blower.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:07 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

On the stock bottom end I don't think it's a good idea, not to mention I'm not sure how well the MT82 would hold up for us manual guys. I did see the Vortech for the 5.0 looks like a nice kit that makes 600 crank hp at 7 psi, I don't plan on boosting but if I do that's probably what I would go with so I wouldn't have to get rid of my Boss manifold.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:27 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I see so many companies running 10s.. makes me think forging my 4.6 is a waste if 5.0s are running their stock motors running so well...
Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Forging a paid for 4.6 will get you 10s for less $$ than buying a whole new car and a blower kit. If resale value on the 4.6 was still good it might be a little more debatable however they are pretty much worthless at this point as far as that goes.

Keep in mind that the 5.0 has only been around for a bit over a year or so now. "Longevity" in this case is open to debate.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:55 PM
General Jack

Ford Racing makes a 525 hp kit with a 1 year warranty (if Ford installs). Its a little on the pricey side though.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12409

Given they'll warranty, it suggests to me that the stock bottom end will hold up fine at those power levels. They don't warranty their 624 hp kit.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:59 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

The 5.0 shortblock seems to be pretty stout. Given a good tune the engine should last at least as well as any non-forged 4.6 with a blower on it, while providing a lot more power. Of course the pistons and rods will be the weak points. As for the tranny, the MT82 has been holding up to quite a bit of abuse in some applications, but the problems seem to be more of an issue with a number of defective units rather than a weak overall design.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:10 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

In comparison, what's a 5.0's whp bump up to with minor bolt ons?

CAI, tune, shorty headers, B302 intake manifold, cams and TB??

Still about 430whp I bet.. thats what I make heat soaked and only gets worse lol
Old 10-01-2011, 01:13 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Forging a paid for 4.6 will get you 10s for less $$ than buying a whole new car and a blower kit. If resale value on the 4.6 was still good it might be a little more debatable however they are pretty much worthless at this point as far as that goes.

Keep in mind that the 5.0 has only been around for a bit over a year or so now. "Longevity" in this case is open to debate.
I'd feel more paranoid driving around a fully built 4.6/blown, built auto trans more than a new 5.0 with a blower@8 psi.. only because one is insured and the other has about $15k+ in mods lol

I am starting to lean more towards "easy, reliable hp" than fully built.. but then again, I change my mind a lot!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:24 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Going fully rebuilt true forged will up reliability under double digit boosts. But it is all relativebecause guys with all true forged short blocks have blown them up too. And I am talking some stout pushrod big blocks. Over boost any engine and it will see a significant drop in reliability.

But for teens psi boost, maybe even twenties psi boost, i wiuld say all true forged will be decently reliable.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:35 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by General Jack
Ford Racing makes a 525 hp kit with a 1 year warranty (if Ford installs). Its a little on the pricey side though.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12409

Given they'll warranty, it suggests to me that the stock bottom end will hold up fine at those power levels. They don't warranty their 624 hp kit.
FRPP purchases engine specs from Ford. From this they know the boosts that would be reliable and therefore can warranty their product at lower boosts. They did calculations and for the higher boost kit, the reliability dropped like a rock so they thus will not warranty it.

Edelbrock is the same. But they are able to get a lot of power on only 4psi manifold because of design. I believe the runner lengths have the right harmonics such that the pulse pressure waves of the intake valves opening and closing actually assist in "scavaging" the plenum of all air given a couple crank rotations such that only 4psi is neede to pull out more power

Quick Reply: 5.0 longevity on boost?