Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

No more 3.73 rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Don't listen to anyone at a dealership. I had a sales guy tell me that if you use the red key on the Boss it bumps the horsepower to 600.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Cali also tried to sue the top 6 or 7 auto manufacturers for pollution of their state. That went nowhere.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sci/tech/5365728.stm
Cali has absolutely no case. Sue just GM, Toyota, Ford, Honda, (and other I cannot remember)? They might as well sue the entire world, not just auto makers. Why not sue Peterbilt, Freightliner, Mack Trucks, International? They are the biggest American truck makers and they spew out tons of diesel exhaust everyday, more than any gasoline car would because they are operating over ten times longer thus burning proportionally so much more fuel, than any gasoline car.

And why stop there? Cali could be as stupid to sue the world's largest industrial bases and thus the world's largest emissions countries: China and India. They now surpass the US in emissions from industry, but such a suit will go nowhere as the two countries will simply ignore such a frivolous lawsuit.

It is one thing to be environmentally minded and wanting to be a good steward of the earth to promote better quality of life through clean air and water, but those hippie tree hugging fanatic politicians are absolute idiots to believe that suing 6 auto makers will reduce global warming, bring back their iced mountain caps, and so forth.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
Don't listen to anyone at a dealership. I had a sales guy tell me that if you use the red key on the Boss it bumps the horsepower to 600.
That is just damn stupid; the guy might as well sit on it and rotate if he really thinks the TracKey unlocks 600 BHP crank!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:50 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Fortunately the mustang uses the 8.8 rear and gear size/change is inexpensive.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:20 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

A 13 second car is too fast so "the fed" has to step in? LOL. Forget all the cars that are quicker than a GT, consider basically ALL sportbikes will blow it away. Some of them run 9 second 1/4's box stock.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 AM
angryBits
2nd Gear Member

I call BS.

Dealers will say anything to get you to buy the car now and not "wait for the next best."
Also, dealerships - especially sales guys - don't know any more than we do about whats coming down the pipe. The moment they hear about it, it's already leaked somewhere on the interwebnet.

If 2013's aren't going to have a 3.73, it would be a much more popular rumor.

Having said that, I love my 3.73s and its worth going aftermarket if you have to.

Edit: too fast? What about the GT500? - it's definitely not a too fast issue, its a EPA issue. What a stupid sales guy... "Err its too fast, you better buy this car now!" Why am I even arguing with myself - the 2013's will have 3.73s.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:23 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

Funny how someone mentioned the red key 600 hp BS. I was at the dealer today (defective bent axle) and the parts manager said a guy just brought his BOSS in to have the red key setup and mentioned the 600 hp boost... I almost fell on the floor laughing...
Old 11-05-2011, 06:27 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Sales managers are generally pretty famous for not knowing a damn thing about the product they sell. That seems far too arbitrary a decision to make.
The "Fed" needs to step in and get rid of sales associates like that. It's all too common. When I was shopping I can't count how many of them knew absolutely NOTHING about cars in general, let alone these cars. If you have a question that goes beyond how to turn on the air conditioner, typically, too often at least, they just BS some nonsense until you either put them out of their misery and tell them to shut up, or some customers just buy into it.

It's crap, I am sure. They are not getting rid of 3.73's as an option. And if they got stupid and did that, it would have nothing to do with the "Fed" or safety, it would simply be Ford having a brain fart and losing their mind for no good reason. An idiot can be driving a 90hp civic and be more dangerous than a mature person in a 1,000+ hp Veyron. The car has nothing to do with it, it's how it's handled and the maturity/intelligence of the person mashing the pedals. If anything the Fed needs to make driver's testing much more harsh and frequent (like at least once every 4 years), and leave the cars themselves alone. I get tired of morons on the road too, but the problem doesn't come from the car itself, but the people somehow allowed to sit in it.

Last edited by OhEightGT; 11-05-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:53 AM
jeff000

Talking no more 3.73

why doesn't ford put a low 6th gear in for better mileage even with my 3.31 at 70 mph i run around 2000 rpm and had a best of 28.5 mpg
Old 11-06-2011, 07:34 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

I turn 2k at 60-65 ish with my 3.73's and it feels perfect. If you're getting almost 30 mpg with a DOHC V8 and over 400 hp, not much to complain about in my book!

Quick Reply: No more 3.73 rear end