Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Sneak Peak - Steeda BOSS 302 specific cold air system

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Default Sneak Peak - Steeda BOSS 302 specific cold air system

We've been working behind the scenes to make a Boss specific cold air system. While our current 5.0L GT system will fit a Boss car we wanted to improve the fit and while we were at it, improve the air intake system itself.

Here is a sneak peak at those efforts.

The inlet tube has been revised for a direct fit. As many of you know the throttle body is in a different position and angle than the 5.0L GT which makes it a chore to install aftermarket cold airs designed for the GT.

As you can see from this shot the angle the tube meets the throttle body is correct, with the GT kit you end up with an angle between the tube and the silicone connection since it is intended for the GT application. It works but its not really correct. Our new set up will be.

It will also feature a larger diameter to accomodate the higher airflow potential of the Boss 302 set up.

Comments welcome.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

hmm.. looks nice, this is how mine turned out looking with the regular 5.0 intake.

inlet tube makes a tight fit against the hood.

hmm when i took these pics i didn't think my engine bay looked dirty... maybe it's just washed out from cell phone pic? hmm....
Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

MAN!!! I LOVE that NX plate kit for the 5.0's!!! Maybe one of these days I'll drop the coin on one! (Intake looks good too. Though, I'm still partial to the JLT intake.)
Old 10-19-2011, 10:20 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

We've had some fun with that nitrous kit thats for sure. 11.0 at over 126 with that kit, cold air, and tune on stock exhaust on Nitto NT05R's.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:52 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Hey Gus, what kind of gains can one expect on a 2011 GT if the new CAI and Boss intake are added?

I already planned on buying the normal Steeda CAI in the future and was also considering the Boss intake. I think now I might want to get this intake instead. Minus the nitrous.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

The gains should be in the ball park of what we have on the site already. Preliminary testing with the stock manifold and the new MAF design is showing solid gains of about 3 to 4 horsepower over our current cold air MAF design. So I am not expecting to have to change our published gains as we will still be in the same ball park. If anything they should be more consistent thanks to all the additional dyno work we've been doing.

I've actually got a Boss 302 Laguna Seca on the dyno right now. Don't expect numbers today though

Here is the dyno sheet of our site for the Boss intake/cold air/tune combo we currently offer for the GT 5.0L

Here is a comparison of the same kit vs a stock 5.0L GT

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 PM
GT37
1st Gear Member

So would the new elbow fit the steeda airbox available now? I have the Steeda now bolted up to the Boss manifold but would love a more direct fit.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM
5.ohhhhh

damn that looks good
Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Nice! Even with my JLT that "supposedly" fit the Boss it took a large amount of finagling to get it to work. I wish this would have been on the market six months ago. Those are some strong dyno numbers too, are you seeing that on most of your customers' cars or just your test car? I'm just curious as to whether these are typical numbers for you tune or if you're lucky and have a "factory freak."
Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GT37
So would the new elbow fit the steeda airbox available now? I have the Steeda now bolted up to the Boss manifold but would love a more direct fit.
Not sure, I believe it will but have to confirm with my manufacturing department.

Gus

Quick Reply: Sneak Peak - Steeda BOSS 302 specific cold air system