Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Drivetrain Squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

Default Drivetrain Squeak?

I've got a 2012 GT Base 6 spd with 3.73's. Lately, I've noticed a squeaking coming from what sounds like the rear of the vehicle but not one I can feel, nor does it interfere with any type of driving. The squeak sound resembles that of two metal parts touching intermittently. Something similar to break squeal but not quite as high pitched. It does it all speeds at nearly the same interval. It does not happen at all when not moving. I've never had the rims off and I only have 3000 miles on the car.

The only noise manipulation I can reproduce is when moving very slow in 2nd gear and slowly and gradually increasing speed/rpms in gear, it will increase it's interval but not it's pitch. This would normally tell me it's in the engine bay but it does not happen except when moving. Putting the clutch in and placing the car in neutral while coasting does not affect the noise either. I've never been more stumped!

I'll be dropping it off at the dealer at my earliest convenience but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or an idea as to what it might be?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

did you add an aftermarket axle back to the vehicle?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

Nope, everything is completely stock. I've even wiggled the mufflers to try to reproduce it that way thinking it wasn't properly tightened from the factory but no luck :/
Old 10-24-2011, 09:14 PM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

I have a similar squeak in the right/rear of mine. I plan to diagnose when i get my car lifted up for an oil change.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

Make sure the suspension load is on the car because that changes everything. Mine is definitely related to wheel speed though because now that I'm paying more and more attention to it, it is directly related to speed but the pitch of the noise still doesn't change... just the interval in which it occurs. This is at least promising in the sense that it is a logical and very easily reproduced malfunction. Still curious if it's bearing related or axle or brake related. Time will tell when I get her in to the dealer.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:24 PM
GT37
1st Gear Member

I have the same exact problem, I took mine to the dealer but they would not even look at it because I have aftermarket coilovers, I went to the track last night and put my stock rear springs back on with DR's and the squeaking continued. Definitely keep us updated im curious to what they say at the dealer.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

I've read around other forums and I stumbled upon a thread that (as best as I can tell) resembles the same issue and it turned out he had a bent axle. Very low miles so it was a defect. Dealer swapped it no charge. Something about it causing enough disturbance for the brake to contact something else... I can't remember. I'll look around a bit for the link.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:34 PM
cjs06
2nd Gear Member

I cleaned off my swaybar hangers and so far the squeaking has not re-occured. I guess that was it *shrug*
Old 10-31-2011, 05:36 PM
GT37
1st Gear Member

Hmm I'll have the check that out next time im working under the car, thanks!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:50 PM
rangerryda
1st Gear Member

Mine is definitely related to wheel speed though. I don't see how the sway bar would be affected by that. Glad it worked for you though Also, I tried slowly applying the emergency brake at different speeds and it goes away as soon as I put some stopping force on it so it's got to be something in that area. When I apply the brake pedal, it goes away right away too. I inspected that area and didn't a single thing out of place so as soon as my police academy is over with, I'll bring it by the dealership and let them figure it out. Might get a free set of pads lol.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Squeak?