Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford is getting tough on warranty for mod cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm not sure what the lastsalami's problem is; "get caught" with what? Having mods and going to the dealership? I've taken my Stang back to the dealer with the CAI & tune installed for warranty work at least 2 times if not more. They even took care of an issue with the Stingers which I installed. Bottom line; find a dealer that won't twist your panties.

BTW, lastsalami, I'm in Florida, too. Come join us at one of the Nature Coast club meetings.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
And for those that say "put the car back to stock with the stock tune" the dealer can see what you did The PCM keeps record of all that stuff.
I've talked to numerous techs at Ford, and the ONLY thing the PCM can "record" once reset is that it was in fact reset. "Oppps, I left my lights on and killed the battery"...and iirc, that "reset remember" goes away after X amount of key on/off cycles....like 50 or so. I could be wrong on the #.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:28 PM
zilla8
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
True by law but untrue in the real world.
The only time they have to prove it is if you take them to court.
Otherwise they void the warranty without taking the time to prove it.
This is something people concerned with their warranties would be WISE to remember.

Being as it would be so expensive to take them to court, they hold the ball in reality as far as that is concerned.
Man you should win the Pulitzer prize for this post
I get so sick of people bringing up the Magnason act and thinking Ford gives a rip.

They have plenty of money,time and lawyers to fight you.There have already been several owners who had warranties voided without proof that the part or tune caused the problem.

They issued that TSB covering a host of things that will void your warranty and Ford will use it to their advantage and go to court if need be.

I personally don't worry about any of this stuff and mod the heck out of my cars.I have a Blower with a tune and all kinds of mods.

I also still have my warranty and my car has never seen the dealer since I picked it up last year.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

IMO, even dick-head dealerships will perform warranty work on the normal, small ticket items like power accessories, trim and most other minor complaints that constitute about 90% of warranty work. And in the 4+ years on the forum, I don't recall any significant power train issues (other than the occasional fool that destroyed a rear or tranny doing dumb chit) that would make me shiver in my boots about modding my car.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by thelastsumurai
Yea, I expect to see you crying on here pretty soon as soon as you get caught. You are the wuss you talk **** on line, if you looked me in the eyes you'd probably **** yourself. That being said, If you mod your cars out of warrantee tough ****.
While Nuke could have phrase things differently, your post is a lot worse and contribute jack to the subject at hand, and his post was directed to the OP (Who hasn't done any bitchin' yet).
So try again.

Nuke, easy on the n00bs will ya.
... and drop the salami thing you perv!

Last edited by pascal; 11-26-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:47 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

I spent almost 3 thousand in mods the first year I owned the car. Canceled the warranty before it was voided. That being said, I figured that Ford got all the bugs out on the 4.6 so it was a safe choice. I have no regrets and now at 37,500miles with no problems at all.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
...Nuke, easy on the n00bs will ya.
... and drop the salami thing you perv!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:49 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Ditty
I've talked to numerous techs at Ford, and the ONLY thing the PCM can "record" once reset is that it was in fact reset. "Oppps, I left my lights on and killed the battery"...and iirc, that "reset remember" goes away after X amount of key on/off cycles....like 50 or so. I could be wrong on the #.

I heard this on the 05-10's but I have heard differently on the new models.
Ditto on talking to techs about it.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 AM
thelastsumurai

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
You really need to grow some tougher skin as far as getting offended at this type of talk on this forum.

It was sarcasm but with a serious point.
Saying the talks smack online when you are taking things the completely wrong way, and then talking smack back makes you no better than if he REALLY was talking trash, which he was not.

His language was meant as a joke to an extent just pointing out that if you mod in his opinion, you need to be ready to deal with the facts of the way the industry works.

That is common guy car talk, not talking trash.
Again you really are going to have to grow thicker skin and not be
offended by garage language if you want to enjoy... or probably even be
able to stay on this site long.

And saying he would probably **** himself if he saw you in real life.
Give me a freakin' break man.
That comment has about as much credibility as a comment saying
your an honest politician...it means NOTHING.
Furthermore, you have no idea about him in reality either.
Those comments you made were both outright laughable, and
at the same time outrageously childish.

I'm not trying to offend but,
Really man...I mean come on. Ridiculous.

And I'm not trying to get your panties in a wad either lol.
(See the joking but at the same time being serious that I'm not trying to upset anyone? *Hint*, *Hint*.)
You will enjoy this site A LOT more if you know the way he was talking was garage talk and had nothing to do with literally saying...
"HEY YOU YOUR A WUSS IN REAL LIFE AND I CAN BEAT YOU UP!"

So again...I know you are new but "man talk" and "man language" is a term I'm sure you are familiar with.
Just like "locker room talk".

Again... cool your jets some and you will both enjoy this site more and probably end up being able to use it longer
and not get banned for some argument that ends up getting out of hand. Which happens sometimes on all forums.
Apologies, to everyone. EX Mil My sense of humor is kinda limited at this time. of course you are right

Last edited by thelastsumurai; 11-28-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM
1990lxhatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
There is a bit more to it than that. Plus, the information about your vehicle is much more detailed when viewed with engineering software than it is at a dealership with the IDS scan tool. If Ford really wanted to know everything about your computer they could have the dealer ship it to Dearborn or they could just use WebEx to take control of your vehicle session and do it remotely.

There is only really one way to keep your PCM data virgin and I'm not going to share it. Plus, it still isn't perfect because anyone willing to do what must be done likely has other mods that aren't so easily disguised.

Consider this too..... if everyone knows (including the dealerships) that something as simple as a CAI will not work properly without a tune and you show up with a CAI and no visible tune.... what do you think they will conclude?

The more mickey mouse clandestine warranty fraud games you play, the more games the maker and dealers will play to force you into court.

Here's a good story:

I know of a case that went to arbitration of a guy with a 4.6 3v Mustang that had a broken connecting rod and gobs of collateral damage. Completely wasted longblock. No signs of modification other than a piece of casting on the RH cylinder head that was strangely ground down. Ford was aware that a certain supercharger kit required this exact grounding down of the head casting in order for the blower to be mounted correctly. Eventhough he had no visible modifications to the car, his claim was denied by the arbitrator because there was absolutely no reason for someone to take a grinder to a head in that manner other than do accomodate a specific supercharger kit.

Quick Reply: Ford is getting tough on warranty for mod cars