Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford is getting tough on warranty for mod cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

The broken conrod and shot block story is universal for all brands. Chevy and Dodge dealers also tell the story of thrown conrod piercing the block from stupid turbo or supercharging boost levels. It is actually a bonafide urban legend as popular as it is.

Of course, gross detonation damage and a broken conrod are obvious signs of over boosting the manifold. I personally do not know how to reproduce such damage naturally aspirated.
For this, I side with the dealer techs in denying the warranty even though a turbo or supercharger is not present.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Jiggy_One
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
The broken conrod and shot block story is universal for all brands. Chevy and Dodge dealers also tell the story of thrown conrod piercing the block from stupid turbo or supercharging boost levels. It is actually a bonafide urban legend as popular as it is.

Of course, gross detonation damage and a broken conrod are obvious signs of over boosting the manifold. I personally do not know how to reproduce such damage naturally aspirated.
For this, I side with the dealer techs in denying the warranty even though a turbo or supercharger is not present.
Too much timing will turn rods into window making machines in a second.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1990lxhatch
There is a bit more to it than that. Plus, the information about your vehicle is much more detailed when viewed with engineering software than it is at a dealership with the IDS scan tool. If Ford really wanted to know everything about your computer they could have the dealer ship it to Dearborn or they could just use WebEx to take control of your vehicle session and do it remotely.

There is only really one way to keep your PCM data virgin and I'm not going to share it. Plus, it still isn't perfect because anyone willing to do what must be done likely has other mods that aren't so easily disguised.

Consider this too..... if everyone knows (including the dealerships) that something as simple as a CAI will not work properly without a tune and you show up with a CAI and no visible tune.... what do you think they will conclude?

The more mickey mouse clandestine warranty fraud games you play, the more games the maker and dealers will play to force you into court.

Here's a good story:

I know of a case that went to arbitration of a guy with a 4.6 3v Mustang that had a broken connecting rod and gobs of collateral damage. Completely wasted longblock. No signs of modification other than a piece of casting on the RH cylinder head that was strangely ground down. Ford was aware that a certain supercharger kit required this exact grounding down of the head casting in order for the blower to be mounted correctly. Eventhough he had no visible modifications to the car, his claim was denied by the arbitrator because there was absolutely no reason for someone to take a grinder to a head in that manner other than do accomodate a specific supercharger kit.
Ohh I'm 100% sure that w/ the Big Ford software they can get in there and see what "maximum/minimum" values have been modified too etc. But, w/ out a reason, they aren't going to hook it up. When I go in for my oil change or other service, they aren't going to go through the trouble unless something looks fishy. I also 100% agree that you run the risk if you plan on modifying you vehicle beyond Ford's threshold. "Pay to Play"!!! About the only way you could get around it is running a standalone ECU that plugs directly into the stock wiring or using a cloned ECU.....and good luck getting your ECU cloned.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thelastsumurai
Apologies, to everyone. EX Mil My sense of humor is kinda limited at this time. of course you are right
No sweat. And if I rubbed you the wrong way, well, that's just me being a bit too frank for some folks comfort; no harm intended.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:34 PM
stangs13
1st Gear Member

Would an exhaust system that includes an aftermarket x pipe, catted, and a cat back void the warranty? I know it varies from dealer to dealer on some things.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangs13
Would an exhaust system that includes an aftermarket x pipe, catted, and a cat back void the warranty? I know it varies from dealer to dealer on some things.
Catted x-pipes are iffy as far as gains ... seems like it wouldn't be worth it.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:52 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I'm itching for a JTL/CAI Lund tune but the thing is I just had a syncro replaced in my tranny about 2 months ago.......wonder if they would have covered it I had the car tuned.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
I'm itching for a JTL/CAI Lund tune but the thing is I just had a syncro replaced in my tranny about 2 months ago.......wonder if they would have covered it I had the car tuned.
I gave up the idea some time back regarding mod with CAI and a tune. So I got a AEM (made by K&N) dry filter that fits the stock air cleaner. The advantage of the "dry" filter is that it's much easier to clean, but performs like a regular K&N filter. I am thinking of getting a Ford tune which is not so radical,but gets 60lbs of torque at low rpm.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash gordon
... The advantage of the "dry" filter is that it's much easier to clean, but performs like a regular K&N filter. I am thinking of getting a Ford tune which is not so radical,but gets 60lbs of torque at low rpm.
Wrong.

The drop-in filters add no RWHP. Yeah, they may flow marginally better than the OE filter (and certainly not as much as even a stand-alone, no tune required CAI) but not enough to make a pubic hair's worth of difference. On top of that, ANY air flow increase without a tune is near-worthless.

And I'm afraid, after seeing you quote the Ford tune's published gains and bellieve the drop-in filter advertised hype, that you seriously need to step back and consider what you're buying. Advertised #'s are 99% BS.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

^Truth!!!

Quick Reply: Ford is getting tough on warranty for mod cars