Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford is getting tough on warranty for mod cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:52 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I know Nuke is right........I'm just trying to weigh the facts of............is another 30whp really worth jeopardizing my car.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
I know Nuke is right...
"Once, I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken."

Well, it's your vehicle and you gotta do what YOU gotta do. I don't mean to be callin' anyone on their choices other than trying to bring up some facts (and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not too diplomatic about it). You can get more from your car and safely. IMO, there's just as much chance for trouble stock as there is CAI & tuned.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:49 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
"Once, I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken."

Well, it's your vehicle and you gotta do what YOU gotta do. I don't mean to be callin' anyone on their choices other than trying to bring up some facts (and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not too diplomatic about it). You can get more from your car and safely. IMO, there's just as much chance for trouble stock as there is CAI & tuned.
That is and how I felt with the last one........I think I will come out of my shell in the spring and just say F it........the glory of what one ponders.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:06 PM
devildog1679
1st Gear Member

I’ll pose a question I have done on another forum. Hypothetically speaking would one be able to get a second PCM (which sell for $500 on Tously Fords site) and then have it matched to your car. Then swap it out for your original and put the tune on that one. If you ever have to take the car to the dealer for warranty work just swap the new one you got since that is the one that ford has on file. Also swap out the CAI.

I know that an extra $500 would bring the total to over 1K for just 30HP but to some that might be worth it. I’m just curiouse to see if that would work.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devildog1679
I’ll pose a question I have done on another forum. Hypothetically speaking would one be able to get a second PCM (which sell for $500 on Tously Fords site) and then have it matched to your car. Then swap it out for your original and put the tune on that one. If you ever have to take the car to the dealer for warranty work just swap the new one you got since that is the one that ford has on file. Also swap out the CAI.

I know that an extra $500 would bring the total to over 1K for just 30HP but to some that might be worth it. I’m just curiouse to see if that would work.
If it's the same thread I'm thinking of, we pretty much proved that wasn't feasible since Ford has to swap the PCMs due to the PATS system...
Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 PM
devildog1679
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Napoleon85
If it's the same thread I'm thinking of, we pretty much proved that wasn't feasible since Ford has to swap the PCMs due to the PATS system...
It may be the same thread. If your refereeing to the electronic device in the key that communicates with PCM in order to allow the car to start than wouldn’t having two keys each tied to a different PCM work?
Old 11-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devildog1679

COULD it be done? Probably.
Would you get caught doing it? YES.
Being as FORD is the only way to do so, if I were working at the dealership and you came in requesting a new ECU, and asking to have it coded to a new key...I'd be pretty suspicious. "Why does this guy need a new ECU and key for his <10,000 mile car...that is still under warranty????"
Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure it's more than the key that has to be reprogrammed.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 PM
devildog1679
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
COULD it be done? Probably.
Would you get caught doing it? YES.
Being as FORD is the only way to do so, if I were working at the dealership and you came in requesting a new ECU, and asking to have it coded to a new key...I'd be pretty suspicious. "Why does this guy need a new ECU and key for his <10,000 mile car...that is still under warranty????"
Somone stole it It happened to my Camaro and Mercedes. Either way it's way to much of a head ache to make it worht it.

Originally Posted by Napoleon85
I'm pretty sure it's more than the key that has to be reprogrammed.
I read the workshop manual and it seem's to be as simple as them matching the PCM to the VIN then codeing the keys.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 AM
Schutzhund
1st Gear Member

I have intake tune exhaust and its lowered and they have no problem doing warranty work on my new 2011's transmission. Did i stiff arm a little when i walked in yes. did i let them push me around no. All about finding the right dealership. I was honest and up front. Walked in told em what i had done and asked if they would honor warranty. if you try to go around the system and defeat its purpose then you are wrong. And if all else fails a few cases of beer go a long way.

Quick Reply: Ford is getting tough on warranty for mod cars