Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT Premium
Default Ford is getting tough on warranty for mod cars

The new 5.0 is getting many owners to mod the engine. I understand that Ford has told all the dealers to refuse warranty service if the car is found with mod. Ford has a list of service (parts) that qualifies for refusal of warranty service. Heavy tuning is one of them that the dealer can refuse warranty service. If you want warranty service, I would be very careful about heavy modding. I would remove the tune before you take the car in for warranty service. My 0.02.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
flash gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: ...

Most people know that going into a dealer with a tune is not a good idea especially since they can be swapped out so easily.

Either way, the dealer has to prove that the mod caused the failure. With a tune, its pretty easy considering so many things are impacted by a tune.

If you mod, you should understand that you are taking a risk. Thats why I plan on starting off with the visual mods first (i.e. CS style grill, front fascia and boss splitter), then moving to the rousch axel backs and then eventually maybe getting more into the engine.

Honestly, I dont see myself making any engine mods until the car is paid off.

2008 candy apple red GT - CAI + 91 race tune, pypes pipe bomb axel backs - SOLD

2012 Grabber Blue, GT Prem, 401A Premier Accent Trim (Charc + Grabber Blue), 6A, HIDs/Security Package, Remote Start. SOLD
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Tvanpool

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT
Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash gordon View Post
The new 5.0 is getting many owners to mod the engine. I understand that Ford has told all the dealers to refuse warranty service if the car is found with mod. Ford has a list of service (parts) that qualifies for refusal of warranty service. Heavy tuning is one of them that the dealer can refuse warranty service. If you want warranty service, I would be very careful about heavy modding. I would remove the tune before you take the car in for warranty service. My 0.02.
Why would you even expect Ford to fix something you fuched up. Is there no integerty left anymore.
I can't think of any manufacturer of any product that would knowingly warranty a failure caused by the user. And if you try to lie about your actions that caused the failure you are a fraud, thief and liar. People who do this are costing the few honest customers a lot of money just like shoplifters at the department store. The manufacturer is going to make a profit or go out of business. And the cost of your dishonesty is just passed on to everyone else.
If you want to modify your car you have every right to do so. but do not expect me to pay for it if it breaks.
Tvanpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012, Ford, Mustang GT

I DO plan on modifying my new car....that said.....I ALSO plan on clearing any and ALL modifications through the Service Manager at my dealer BEFORE even purchasing the parts. I do know that at my dealership, a lot of the parts I want to install, they will warranty it IF they install it.

"Scarlette":2012 GT 5.0, 6spd man, Brembos, 3.73, RACERED/Black, Deleted stock mufflers.
12.959 @ 110.9 (Oct 7, 2011)

"Brisco": 2000 F-350 XLT 7.3L Powerstoke, 6spd man, Crewcab/LB, 4wd, so many performance mods I've forgotten 'em all. Down for the count. NO BRAKES and NO CLUTCH!
16.149 @ 84mph (in 2007/7800lbs)
Ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

I believe the concern here is that some folks (wrongly) believe that Ford would deny you warranty work for, say, a defective master brake cylinder, if you came in with a tune.

IMO, to you guys with the panties and skirts: don't mod, period. Leave the modding to the non-wusses.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Vehicle: 2006GT/Gone but not forgotten/2008 Shelby GT500 now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post

Either way, the dealer has to prove that the mod caused the failure.
True by law but untrue in the real world.
The only time they have to prove it is if you take them to court.
Otherwise they void the warranty without taking the time to prove it.
This is something people concerned with their warranties would be WISE to remember.

Being as it would be so expensive to take them to court, they hold the ball in reality as far as that is concerned.

2008 Shelby GT500-Black/Charcoal Stripes
Blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to Napoleon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
I believe the concern here is that some folks (wrongly) believe that Ford would deny you warranty work for, say, a defective master brake cylinder, if you came in with a tune.

IMO, to you guys with the panties and skirts: don't mod, period. Leave the modding to the non-wusses.
I think that a bigger/more common concern that people have is with the flaky MT-82 and being denied warranty service due to light engine mods. This is not outside of the realm of reason, even though most people would agree that putting a CAI and tune on should not cause major transmission problems.

Other than that, it's pretty much a non-issue. I've modded my car and assume all liability for repairs, probably even some that Ford should do. This is something that I have just come to terms with since it's more effective than having to sue Ford to get your car fixed.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual
Exhaust Vids|The Red Mustang Blog
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvanpool View Post
Why would you even expect Ford to fix something you fuched up. Is there no integerty left anymore.
I can't think of any manufacturer of any product that would knowingly warranty a failure caused by the user. And if you try to lie about your actions that caused the failure you are a fraud, thief and liar. People who do this are costing the few honest customers a lot of money just like shoplifters at the department store. The manufacturer is going to make a profit or go out of business. And the cost of your dishonesty is just passed on to everyone else.
If you want to modify your car you have every right to do so. but do not expect me to pay for it if it breaks.
I agree with newb! If you mod don't cause fraud

2011 5.0 Performance White Premium, 3.73's, 401a, Roush Axle Back Mufflers, Eibach Pro Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, Center Fog Grille, staggered 18" FR500 wheels with 255/45/18 and 295/45/18 tires, 20% tint, Weathertech Floor liners, MMD Hood struts, custom rocker stripes

conejo172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Vehicle: 2006GT/Gone but not forgotten/2008 Shelby GT500 now!

On top of what I posted I agree to the upmost in saying,
If you mod do not FRAUD by being dishonest.

You expect Ford to keep their word, their warranty when they should, well....
the door swings the other way too.
If you expect honesty and trustworthiness practice it YOURSELF.

2008 Shelby GT500-Black/Charcoal Stripes
Blacksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012, Ford, Mustang GT

Truth!!!
Ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2011, 302, axle, back, boss, cai, fords, gt, hid, mustang, sale, tests, trackey, tune, void, warranty, warraty