Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 cold tick

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Theres a thread specifically about the motorcraft oil claiming its full synthetic when it really isnt, I'll try and find the thread for you, I remember Ditty posted some really good information in a thread about oil. Me personally from what I've read on here and from what I've heard from friends I would never stray away from the factory oil weight.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Found it:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...tic-blend.html
Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

thanks Maraman that was an interesting read.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:56 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

I had the tick also on my '11 5.0, I'm pushing 9k miles now and it seems to have disappeared (I'd actually forgotten about it until I saw your thread). I wonder if running the AC could have anything to do with it. Doesn't seem like anybody on here knows what it is or how to fix it though.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:27 PM
cbr4life

Are you guys changing oil at 3k miles interval? I'm planning to leave it alone until either the engine computer indicated or the oil is 1 yrs old.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:05 PM
MustangRSG
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maraman
I do my own oil changes I use Royal Purple 5w20, I havent had any ticking. I use motorcraft oil filters.
I had this issue, changed to RP with K&N filter never heard the tick again. 13,500 now.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maraman
Theres a thread specifically about the motorcraft oil claiming its full synthetic when it really isnt, I'll try and find the thread for you, I remember Ditty posted some really good information in a thread about oil. Me personally from what I've read on here and from what I've heard from friends I would never stray away from the factory oil weight.
Thanks for the publicity! LOL

I know there are a LOT of guys out there that have more knowledge and experience in automotive lubrication, and the 5.0 "tick", but from my previous employment, you just can't go wrong w/ what the manufactureer recommends. If you are following FORD'S recommedations on oil type/weight/filter/change periods you cannot be responsible for any issues as far as a warranty is concerned. I've seen numerous times where an oil change was performed and the customer requested something other than the recommendations, and the warranty got kicked back.

One famous (in my mind) instance was a Cobalt SS Turbo. Chevy says Mobil 1 ONLY. Customer wanted the 'cheapest crap you have'. "Yes Sir." Tossed in the cheapest 5w30 dino oil we had, noted the receipt that the "customer declined man. rec. 5w30 Mobil 1 Full Syn." and off he drove. 2 weeks later he is back to get a re-print of his reciept b/c his engine siezed. Come to find out, I'm getting summoned to court to testify...FOR THE DEALERSHIP...that I did infact tell the customer that Chevy recommends the Mobil 1, and he declined it. Homeboy ended up having to fit the bill for a new engine. He ALSO tried sueing myself and the store I worked at stating that I never verbally told him about the recommendation. That didn't get much further than a call from our lawyer. People always trying to get something for free.

The quick lesson here is always use, at the minimum, the manufactureer's recommendations. FORD recommends 8 qts of Motorcraft (Syn. Blend) 5w20 for the Coyote. If you choose to run something better like RP, FULL Synthetic, Amsoil etc, you're good. If you choose to drop in 8 qts of Walmart 5w20 dino oil...sorry about your luck if you ever have any issues.

Last edited by Ditty; 12-04-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:24 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cbr4life
Are you guys changing oil at 3k miles interval? I'm planning to leave it alone until either the engine computer indicated or the oil is 1 yrs old.
Ford recommends a 10K mile oil change interval. I use RP full synth, and change my oil at 10K miles. According to the oil analysis I sent in of a sample of one of my changes, the oil still had a lot more life left in it. I could have probably gone to 15k miles.

I do not do the 3K miles. The only time I would do 3K miles if I used the cheap S*** non-synth, non-blended dino.
But also, I would never put none of that crap in my car to begin with.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Ford recommends a 10K mile oil change interval. I use RP full synth, and change my oil at 10K miles. According to the oil analysis I sent in of a sample of one of my changes, the oil still had a lot more life left in it. I could have probably gone to 15k miles.

I do not do the 3K miles. The only time I would do 3K miles if I used the cheap S*** non-synth, non-blended dino.
But also, I would never put none of that crap in my car to begin with.
Actually, the service manual states "every 7,500 miles or 6 months".
Old 12-05-2011, 11:13 AM
superduck352

i beleave that to be valve train problem.... but then again dont take my word i dont own a 2011 gt all i can tell you about ut car that i know is its a 32 valve v8 it could also be a stress knock from drivein her hard eather way good idea to take it to dealer if its under warentee cause it may be something that would blow ur engine up

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 cold tick