Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Anyone considering a Boss Intake, please read this first

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Default Anyone considering a Boss Intake, please read this first

I was at the strip early November, the same day I was there, local legend Lidio Iacobelli, the owner of Alternative autoperformance was doing test and tune the same day. He has been in mulpiple articles in multiple magazines with multiple cars, so he knows his stuff. They recently installed the boss intake on their shop car, and after talking to him, persuaded me to save the money.

His website:

http://alternativeauto.com/

His shop's 5.0:

http://alternativeauto.com/waterbox/new_5.0.html

Please read the entire article, but some things I noticed:

"As far as 1/4 mile results go - Not very impressive at all for the most part. Our 5.0L car only gained a small amount of MPH, and averaged about 113mph, to just over 114mph. But only managed a best ET of 12.09, never really beating the previous best of 12.08. On a good note the 12.08 was achieved in much colder 50 to 55 degree temps. Whereas throughout the 2011 season we never got a good break with the temps and always seemed to get stuck with temps well into and above the 80's with more humidity. But the MPH is up over all, and I'm confident with much cooler temps that this manifold could prove to be about a 1.5 tenth increase, which we would hope to see a 11.9_ something out of this car.

But in conclusion; I really don't feel this manifold is worth much considering the Losses in low to mid range TQ you will suffer in the most usable range of all when street driving it."

I still feel the Boss intake manifold is a good piece, however, I think depending on the application, you may be able to spend your cash on something else.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:48 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i've always thought about this.
with the Boss intake you gain some HP at the very top of the rpm range, but lose torque.
would like to see results with the Boss intake with boost and see how it compares there.
also would like to see other aftermarket intakes.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I don't see the big surprise over this 'discovery'. NA a 5.0 doesn't have a need for an improved intake manifold as it is not the restriction in the flow from intake to exhaut. The Boss has cams and revised exhaust which benefit more from a better intake...
Old 12-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

There is a lot of hype going around with the Boss intakes being the "end-all" mod. Just wanted to bring some expert advice to the table.

I have to admit that I was one of the victims of the hype until now.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:43 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

So you're telling me that the intake off the car with less torque because of the intake that was meant for a racetrack, not the drag strip doesn't perform as well at the sport in which torque is more important than almost any other engine metric?

No ****in' way. Sad that you had to lose $$$ to figure that out - I could've told you that months ago.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
So you're telling me that the intake off the car with less torque because of the intake that was meant for a racetrack, not the drag strip doesn't perform as well at the sport in which torque is more important than almost any other engine metric?

No ****in' way. Sad that you had to lose $$$ to figure that out - I could've told you that months ago.
I never bought the intake, so I didnt waste any money. This thread was purposely created to give people some more info on boss intakes, and maybe help them decide if it is the correct application for their car.

If you can't post like an adult in tech threads take your childish remarks to Off Topic.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:50 PM
CubanoGT
2nd Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&h...6fs&nomobile=1

Last edited by CubanoGT; 12-07-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

boss intake manifold, most people are reporting .1-.2 in the 1/4 gain and 1mph gain. i live my life a 1/4 mile at a time so thats what matters to me.. so i can sit in parking lots and show people my time slip and be like yeah im faster than you, i'm not a teen street racer, i can prove it at the drag strip

for $350 i think it's worth it once you've done everything else.. plus with 4.10s you'll be in those high rpms right away anyway. if you had to pay the full 500 or 600 some places are asking for it id say its questionable, but at $350 i think its worth the .1-.2 gain in the 1/4, which is what i paid for mine.

I also agree with what other people have said about the manual with the bos intake manifold, makes it even harder to shift accurately. Most people seeing the gains have automatics or are awesome drivers.

Last edited by Mishri; 12-10-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:59 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri

for $350 i think it's worth it once you've done everything else.. plus with 4.10s you'll be in those high rpms right away anyway. if you had to pay the full 500 or 600 some places are asking for it id say its questionable, but at $350 i think its worth the .1-.2 gain in the 1/4, which is what i paid for mine.
Good point about the deeper rear gear part. Since the Boss intake manifold shifts the torque curve to the right some on a dyno graph, it only makes sense to operate your car closer to redline.

Speaking about redline, are you using a tune that increases your redline to 7500?
If so, what is the torque like at that lat 500RPM bandwidth? Does it help in allowing you to hold onto a gear a little longer before shifting to the next gear?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:46 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Part of why I haven't even thought about a boss intake. I love the torque this car has for around town street having even at really low RPM, unfortunately I haven't made my way to a track any time recently, so definitely no need to upgrade to an intake that takes away what I love, and gives me what I don't need.

I think this is a good read for those that don't know a whole lot about the 302 intake but see it and automatically assume that it'll make any application better.

Quick Reply: Anyone considering a Boss Intake, please read this first