Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Off-road x-pipe install notes and video

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Default Off-road x-pipe install notes and video

I just installed my UPR off-road x-pipe and have a few notes/observations for anyone who will be tackling this soon. Much of this may be covered in instructions that may come with other brands, but I had no instructions and some of this was a bit tricky to figure out. I also did the entire install on jackstands and would highly recommend anyone planning to do this themselves gain access to a lift.

There are two nuts that must be removed on each side that secure the stock cats/h-pipe to the stock headers. We were able to break all these free using hand-tools but penetrating lubricant was needed. We used ZEP, but anything should get the job done. Don't bother trying to break them free without doing so first. The driver's side was very easy to break loose, all that was needed was a 15mm socket and a slightly beefy 3/8" ratchet. The passenger side had one bolt that was relatively easy, but the one on the top/closest to the engine was a bit more difficult. We removed the plastic cover from the wheel well to get some better visibility, but you could do this without removing it. We were only able to get to this using two extensions and a swivel and it was a total bitch to transmit enough torque through all those joints.

The factory h-pipe is connected to the stock over-axle pipes using two slip joints that are secured with four bolts. These were very easy to break loose using a 1/2" ratchet and 15mm socket without any lubricant. I also recommend having a small flat-head screwdriver available. There is a catch on the slip joint that needs to be lifted to clear a stud on the stock h-pipe for removal when sliding off. Before removal, be sure to disconnect the rear O2 sensors using a 15mm wrench (I just let these hang free during the rest of the install).

I tried attaching the new x-pipe in a variety of ways, but the only way that worked for me was to loosely assemble the entire thing and thread the nuts/bolts at the headers just enough to hold everything in place before connecting the slip joints from the over-axle pipes. Once I had everything loosely fit I started working from front-to rear tightening everything up and didn't run into any problems.

Notes:
-my specific brand of x-pipe did not come with nuts/bolts or gaskets
-the bolts will need to be less than 1/2" in diameter and about 1-1/2" long
-no parts stores seem to carry the gaskets that fit between the headers and x/h-pipe, if you plan on replacing these you should allow time to get them from Ford

And here's the video ... there's a bit of smoke from the cold and the sta-bil in the fuel system that's been sitting for a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwttzRXsCyI
Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

sounds good!
Old 12-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

More videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtdexM9rMh4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhw66o9lmKo
Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

sounds awesome man!
Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 AM
jo3phresh

did putting the o/r xpipe pull any codes? im going to install one and im just curious if my bama tuner can clear the CEL
Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jo3phresh
did putting the o/r xpipe pull any codes? im going to install one and im just curious if my bama tuner can clear the CEL
No ... but I did get my tune (BAMA) adjusted for it. I also have not driven it much. The car is garaged for the winter so I just let it idle until warmed up then took it on a ~5mile shakedown run. The weather in Ohio is going to hell in a handbasket, so I doubt I'll have it out again until spring.

If you do get a code, call BAMA. They are aware of an issue with cat-less 2011+ Mustangs and are working on a resolution. There's a thread over on another forum with some info ... if you can't find it PM me and I'll shoot you a link.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:58 PM
jo3phresh

well i figured out if you dont adjust the tune. your mustang will run super rich!!!. sadly i bought the car used with the bama tuner and im either going to have to pay 150$ to transfer names or just put my stock pipe back on. if any ones ever in the same situation. this post is for you.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jo3phresh
well i figured out if you dont adjust the tune. your mustang will run super rich!!!. sadly i bought the car used with the bama tuner and im either going to have to pay 150$ to transfer names or just put my stock pipe back on. if any ones ever in the same situation. this post is for you.
You can get a single tune from Bama for $50, unless you actually need 3.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:44 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

I'm gonna go with a Bassani after cat x pipe to use with my roush axle backs. i don't have a tune now, do you recommend i install the xpipe on my 2012 1st, then get a tune or get the tune 1st?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dominant1
I'm gonna go with a Bassani after cat x pipe to use with my roush axle backs. i don't have a tune now, do you recommend i install the xpipe on my 2012 1st, then get a tune or get the tune 1st?
You don't need a tune for either of those items, so order is insignificant.