Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 Mustang GT Rear End Gear Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 02:49 AM
Dustin0408

Unhappy 2011 Mustang GT Rear End Gear Problem

Hi everyone, I have a 2011 mustang gt, manual, with around 10,000 miles on it. It came stock with 3.31's on it, and I recently had 3.73's installed, but there is a whining on decel and accel. It get's louder as I go faster. I took it back to the shop and he tore it apart and put it back to gether. The noise went away for the most part but came back again, so he took it apart again, made sure all the specs were correct, noise was gone, but came back again. Does anyone have any ideas, I appreciate the help.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:41 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Higher ratios can be brutal on the crush sleeve. I would presume he used a new one when he set up the gears, but he probably only retightened the pinion the second time. That's a bozo no-no.

Have him replace the crush sleeve with a spacer and shim stack. It must be assembled and tested for rotational torque to get it right, removing shims until it's right, but once set, it's a done deal. Also, make certain he isn't blowing off the rotational torque measurement. If the pinion is too loose, it will howl until it dies. If it's too tight, it will just die.

Here's the replacement for the crush sleeve: http://ratechmfg.com/fordspbs.htm

Last edited by scottybaccus; 12-10-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Another thing.....so many times, once a gear set develops a whine, it may never go away. It has to do with the gear wear and it being set wrong from the start. New gears may be the only way with someone else doing the work depending on how the gears look internally.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Dustin0408

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
Higher ratios can be brutal on the crush sleeve. I would presume he used a new one when he set up the gears, but he probably only retightened the pinion the second time. That's a bozo no-no.

Have him replace the crush sleeve with a spacer and shim stack. It must be assembled and tested for rotational torque to get it right, removing shims until it's right, but once set, it's a done deal. Also, make certain he isn't blowing off the rotational torque measurement. If the pinion is too loose, it will howl until it dies. If it's too tight, it will just die.

Here's the replacement for the crush sleeve: http://ratechmfg.com/fordspbs.htm
Thanks for the reply. When he tore it down the first time, I figured he would replace the crush sleeve. I'll definately ask him if he did, and thanks for the link, I'll order it and give it to him to install, hopefully the noise goes away for good.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Dustin0408

Originally Posted by AzPete
Another thing.....so many times, once a gear set develops a whine, it may never go away. It has to do with the gear wear and it being set wrong from the start. New gears may be the only way with someone else doing the work depending on how the gears look internally.
Thanks for the reply. I figured I would give him a new crush sleeve and shims and he can reinstall it. Hopefully it doesnt whine anymore, if it does looks like I'll be purchasing a new ring and pinion.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

What brand of gears did you go with? People been having problems with Motive Gears after install.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 AM
Dustin0408

Originally Posted by Cobrakev
What brand of gears did you go with? People been having problems with Motive Gears after install.
They are Ford Racing gears. I heard the Motive ones were a bit noisy so I figured I'd stay away from them. Now I just wish these ones were not making any noise.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

I would get the replacement parts and have him take another look at it one last time. Then I would take it to a different shop to get a second opinion.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dustin0408
They are Ford Racing gears. I heard the Motive ones were a bit noisy so I figured I'd stay away from them. Now I just wish these ones were not making any noise.
Motive makes some of the Ford Racing Gears. I cant remember what letter followed the P/N of the gears. I think if Ford made the gears the P/Nwas followed by the letter A. You can google motive gears made for Ford, and come up with the P/N to stay away from. Do you know what the P/N of the gears you bought? I have a feeling you got Motive gears when you bought them. If the P/N has the letter M at the end of it, they are made by Motive. if it a letter A, those are the Ford made gears.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Dustin0408

Originally Posted by Maraman
I would get the replacement parts and have him take another look at it one last time. Then I would take it to a different shop to get a second opinion.
Yeah, that's probably my best bet, thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang GT Rear End Gear Problem