Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Complaints on the 2011/12 Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:02 AM
powersamped

There are a lot of people that can't handle thinking the 30+ thousand dollar car they bought has problems. While people discuss issues, there are others who completely deny the problems.

I have a 2011 5.0, 6 speed, and I'm having quite a few problems. I just hit 5,000 miles and first to second is ridiculously rough. I've had problems getting it into second at all, and in traffic that is a big deal. My clutch engages at different points every day, and with such a mushy clutch it is extremely difficult to get a smooth take off. Some days it engages an inch off the floor, other times it's 3-4 inches.

My dad is a tech at a local ford dealership and we plan to take out the transmission and look at a number of things, because there are a number of complaints in this forum alone.

Last edited by powersamped; 12-15-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Two5.0's

I am sorry you are having so many problems. I watched a Youtube video showing these guys that video taped their problems (brokenstangs.com). One 2011 was shaking so bad. Scary! Yes, these things aren't cheap. What a difference when we paid $17K for our 1987 Mustang GT we bought brand new! I wish you luck!
Old 12-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Two5.0's

Ya, I just checked my oil levels and had to add 2/3 of the bottle! And it only has 873 miles on it now! I will just have to keep on top of that. Thanks for the input!
Old 12-16-2011, 02:21 PM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

Every new ford I have driven so far was really bad on gas for the first 10k or so.

Examples,
My then new 2007 Mustag gt (RIP. That's why I have a rental focus. Its totaled)
first tank of gas? 11mpg... That was taking it easy never shifting above 3k
after 5-6k 16-17 in city, 25-28highway

Rented Edge. MY unk rented one to drive cross country.
Picked up with 200miles on the odo, averages 17-18mpg on the highway.
Droped off @ 8k miles after a month. 22-24mpg highway after 4k miles.

My rental focus, picked up with 12k on clock.
32mpg combined. Not bad. But got better.
Now @ nearly 15k, 38mpg easy as much as 43mpg on highway.

Reason for this is two fold. Its not just the rings seating, there are allot of moving parts in a 32v dohc vvt engine. They all need to create their own wear pattern and the tolerances are very tight. Also the type of steel ford uses for cylinder liners seems to be high grade highly tempered stuff.

My Unk rents a car once yearly around dec to drive across the US with. For comparison.

Chevy Traverse. Engine broke in less than 2k miles.

toyota highlander broke in less than 1k miles.

He is a 30+ year veteran trucker, he drives by ear, and he simply said the ford motor was the hardest motor to break in he has ever done. And he has owned many a 4 wheeled vehicle with gasoline and diesel engines.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Rebel302
1st Gear Member

I feel for all those that have had problems with their trannys. It's certainly not cool to have problems with your brand new vehicle. But to the OP, I wouldn't worry too much about clutch or tranny problems. Just drive your car & if you notice anything wrong, simply take it to the dealer. I worried a little when I picked up my '11 that I ordered after reading about clutch problems others were having. I'm happy to report that I've had zero clutch problems and my tranny shifts nice and smooth.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Two5.0's

Angry 1st to 2nd gear stiff

Well, took my 2012 Mustang GT (bought at the end of Oct. it was built in August 2011) in because was tired of 1st to 2nd feeling stiff/notcy. The service tech drove it and change the tranny fluid, via the TSB on it. Well, this is the second day after it was done and it is still doing it of and on. What the hay?

Also, I only have 1200 miles on it and have put two quarts of oil in it since 800 miles. Someone said on here before that it is normal break in? Someone at Ford today said that I need to bring it in?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 PM
B.A.Q

I'm supposed to take my car Tuesday to the dealer. I just bought it used, I thought I will check the fluid level but they say it is a sealed tranny. I hope the tech find the problem, it is notchy and I'm hearing a whine also
Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Two5.0's
Well, took my 2012 Mustang GT (bought at the end of Oct. it was built in August 2011) in because was tired of 1st to 2nd feeling stiff/notcy. The service tech drove it and change the tranny fluid, via the TSB on it. Well, this is the second day after it was done and it is still doing it of and on. What the hay?

Also, I only have 1200 miles on it and have put two quarts of oil in it since 800 miles. Someone said on here before that it is normal break in? Someone at Ford today said that I need to bring it in?
The TSB fixed mine completely. If the TSB fix didn't eliminate your rough shifts, take it back in for sure. You definitely have other problems than just the tranny oil.
You could have a bad batch of parts inside (poorly made shifting forks, synchros, etc.) or the bolts on the flywheel could be loosening, or whatever.
The Ford techs can tell you for sure, and by doing so, once they find out what is going on, and not only that, once they find out for sure, they will have documented proof of what else these trannies could suffer from.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:30 PM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

My 2012 GT seems to have increasingly hard shifts starting with 1st being the worse and getting better through the gears. It feels like Im getting to the point of forcing it in first when creeping.

I have no issues at a full stop so I am thinking syncors. I have 7900 miles.

Was thinking of getting a shifter to perhaps make it easier but would this void the warranty? I don't want to give them a reason to bull**** me.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:12 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

The first thing you should do is take it in to the dealership to fix as per TSB. If you are worried about a shifter causing you to be denied for tranny warranty work, dont get one yet. Make the dealer fix te shifting issues first.

Last edited by JIM5.0; 02-05-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Complaints on the 2011/12 Tranny