Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2013 GT - Help me I.D. this part

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:26 AM
GT50GO
2nd Gear Member

Default 2013 GT - Help me I.D. this part

Does anybody know what part this is and what’s it purpose? It’s rusted up pretty bad already on my 3 month old car.

I borrowed this picture from a member (j3st3r) to ask a question.

You can see the part I’m asking about because it’s the only rusty item.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:52 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

It's supposed to do that. The rust is just on the surface and actually protects the surface.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:18 PM
GT50GO
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
It's supposed to do that. The rust is just on the surface and actually protects the surface.
I'm not too worried about the rust, I'm more curious on the part name and what’s its function.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 06:37 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

If it's what I think you are referring to, it's a big heavy chunk of metal! No seriously, it's a big chunk of metal. There should be one on either end of the axle. It is a mass of metal designed to be a vibration dampener. Apparently there was some sort of vibration harmonic Ford was trying tom reduce with them. What's reall weird is some Stangs don't have them. I removed them off my '08, I figured I would save some weight, and if I had any adverse effects, I'd put 'em back on. I could not tell the difference and left them off.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:52 PM
GT50GO
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverHoss
If it's what I think you are referring to, it's a big heavy chunk of metal! No seriously, it's a big chunk of metal. There should be one on either end of the axle. It is a mass of metal designed to be a vibration dampener. Apparently there was some sort of vibration harmonic Ford was trying tom reduce with them. What's reall weird is some Stangs don't have them. I removed them off my '08, I figured I would save some weight, and if I had any adverse effects, I'd put 'em back on. I could not tell the difference and left them off.
Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about, big chunk of metal. When I put my lowering springs on the car I asked around locally and the best one shop could tell me is that they are there for wheel hop and another said like you for vibration. Both shops told me they do nothing and to keep them off. I've had them off for around 300 miles now and have done a few "spirited drives" and cannot notice any difference. I figure I can put them back if there is a need but I don't think so.

Thanks!!!