Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Complaints on the 2011/12 Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Two5.0's

Unhappy Complaints on the 2011/12 Tranny

Continuously reading about the clutch issues. I just purchase a 2012 at the end of October. Only 790 miles on it now. Now when it is cold going into 2nd gear is notchy or a little rough. But, when it warms up not as bad. But, research it more and found this below on the government site for defects and complaints. I'm 45 years old and wanted my own mustang since I was 15! My husband has a 87 5.0 he ordered brand new. No problems great car. I had kids and had to four door it. Now oldest son is 21 and youngest is 12. Finally got it, now this. Big Ford family. 99 F-250 CC 4x4 Diesel, 2001 Explorer sport and the two 5.0's.

Results : 1 |All records displayed

NHTSA Action Number:

NHTSA Recall Campaign Number:

PE11024

N/A

Make: FORD

Model: MUSTANG

Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY

Model Year : 2012

Component(s) :
POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION

Date Investigation Opened : August 3, 2011

Date Investigation Closed : Open

Summary:
ODI has received 32 complaints alleging an unexpected inability to shift into gear on model year (MY)2011-2012 Ford Mustangs equipped with manual transmissions. Some reports allege incidents occurred while merging into high speed traffic and others allege that incidents occurred while turning left across oncoming traffic. Some complainants allege that the erratic shifting behavior almost caused a collision with adjacent vehicles. A Preliminary Evaluation has been opened to assess the scope, frequency and potential safety consequences associated with the alleged defect.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:35 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

The beauty of owning a new car is the warranty! if you are having issues and concerns take it to the dealership or contact Ford directly. The issues involved in the NHTSA are far from what you are experiencing. Don't allow a few cars with issues to put you into a frenzy and also the 1,000 of bandwagon posts in regards to this issue. Read Ford's response to NHTSA inquiry.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

This item was actually addressed under a TSB where the dealer puts in a different gear oil. The OEM stuff is too thick (or wrong specs) for cold weather driving which makes it hard to shift.

Oh and Ford and NHSTA did an investigation and found that some of the stories (like almost crashed etc) were made up.

Do a search on the site and you'll find the thread with all of the details.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:43 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Two5.0's
Continuously reading about the clutch issues. I just purchase a 2012 at the end of October. Only 790 miles on it now. Now when it is cold going into 2nd gear is notchy or a little rough. But, when it warms up not as bad...
Ignore the government report - it's a result of problems that Ford has pretty much fixed in the 2012's. There is one minor adjustment they made in late summer for cars produced after August 25th that yours might not have, and your dealer can change the transmission fluid to a thinner one (that's what changed on August 25th) to make the notchy shifting smooth again.

Motor down to the dealer and talk to the service writer and tell them you have difficult shifting when the gearbox is cold.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Two5.0's

I read the complaints myself. A lot sounded pretty legit. And they were 2012's. GT's and Boss. I have read on other forums too about the problems. If it does keep up I will take it in and get them to change the tranny oil. Thanks.

Also, I take it easy on it driving around town. I am getting only 14 mpg! Is this the norm? God, everytime I turn around it seems I'm filling it up. Even the Corvette z06 with a chip added (borla pipes) I had gets better gas milege than this thing! And it had lot more horses! I am thinking of putting a cold air intake on it to help with gas mpg and get it tuned ( Airaid or JLT)? My idiot brother n law said his 2500 diesel crew cab truck with bully dog will beat me (it is pretty bad, smokes the tires taking off good!). Huh, his is a lot heavier, geared different and the torgue different.

Thanks for ur help and any advice!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

If you have a manual you need to skip gears (1-3-5-6 or 2-4-6) to see decent MPG in the city. I very rarely start off in 1st as 2nd is more than short enough to get moving in.

Also, if your car has fewer than about 3,000 miles, MPG seems to be awful. Mine suddenly got a lot better at around 2,500 miles. I average 17-19 in the city (depending on how many lights I catch) nowadays - but when the car was new I'd be lucky to get 14.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:07 PM
GhastlyTT

I haven't had any issues with my 6 spd in my 2012 but I too was getting horrible gas mileage.

I was averaging 14 mpg the first 500miles but it does seem as the mileage adds on and the motor fully breaks in that it will get better. I have 3.73 gears just passed 1000 miles and i'm getting about 17 all city now. Skipping shifts does help alot. I can use 6th as early as 30mph.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Two5.0's
I read the complaints myself. A lot sounded pretty legit. And they were 2012's. GT's and Boss. I have read on other forums too about the problems...
Ford's been making 2012's since January 2011, and most of the fixes were done in production starting in February through about May, with the last one at the end of August. Check your door jamb and see when yours was made.

There is a category of shifting complaint that I think is separate from the gearbox issues, but that folks always mix in anyways. The stock shifter linkage seems to have some manufacturing variances and some cars, not many, have problems shifting at high revs or under high lateral G's or under heavy braking. Under normal conditions they shift just fine. In my opinion, that's a linkage issue not a transmission issue, in that even if you install a new transmission, it still won't shift properly. However, before rushing out to get a new shifter (MGW is good) make sure the fluid's the right one for the job.

As for gas mileage, it improves as the engine and drive train breaks in. I get about 18 MPG with a mix of city and highway driving and 25 or so on the highway.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 PM
cbr4life

Shifting and gas mileage seem to improve with miles on my mustang. You definitely have to use skip shift to get better than 17 mpg. Another thing to check is the oil level on your mustang during the first 500 miles. I have to put in a quart right about 800 miles. I was told the oil consumption will improve as the car breakin, I haven't confirm that yet.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:18 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

The mileage is directly related to the fun you are having with your new car! Ok, yes, there is some seating of the rings that improves things, but you also have to take into account that the EPA fuel economy is shifting at 2k rpm. I rarely shift below 3k because I like the pull at the bottom of the powerband.

Oh, and my 2011 6spd is working flawlessly, aside from the cold temp issues. I'll ask them to act on the TSB when I go in for my next oil change. I'm coming up on 12k miles now.

Quick Reply: Complaints on the 2011/12 Tranny