Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Burning Smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 02:08 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Maybe its just burning oil? Does anyone here have a catch can and still getting the smell? It could be oil thats in the intake manifold that gets burned whenever we get on it. It doesnt seem to be something thats related to mileage, just happens after spirited driving.

I am going to order a catch can anyway after work tonight, so I will see if it goes away after the install.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 PM
retiredf5

Default FWIW

Catch Cans:
Have one on drivers side and one on passenger side. Don't get a drivers side as ZIP oil accumulation in 9k miles.

Experienced burning smell early on but after 6500 miles, nothing.

PS- changing gas brands did not eliminate smell early on
Old 12-24-2011, 01:10 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Yeah I think its burning oil, cause even my salesman said it and its a well known problem that these 5.0's burn some oil during the break in period. I had to add 1/2 quart at 1k miles and like 1/8 at 2k
Old 12-24-2011, 10:51 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I have a jlt can so its not oil from the pcv system. Guess it could be from the cylinders. Its strange that you have the wind and that a sealed exhaust system exiting from the back of the vehicle can get in the cabin so easily. Though the burning rubber smell also can do the same so maybe its more feasible than I realize.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:57 AM
jamesfs912

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Yeah I think its burning oil, cause even my salesman said it and its a well known problem that these 5.0's burn some oil during the break in period. I had to add 1/2 quart at 1k miles and like 1/8 at 2k
I too have this smell after some hard runs. I have about 1200 miles on mine and the oil level is still the same since 6 miles(I checked after I left the dealer) so I don't think I am burning oil. Maybe it's the muffler's packing/catalytic converter breaking in? Maybe the heat from WOT pulls are affecting the exhaust system?
Old 12-24-2011, 04:13 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I have a JLT catch on mine and don't get the smell, but vaguely remember what you guys are talking about. I'm out of my break-in period by now though and since about ~5000mi I can't remember smelling anything even on my harder drives. I don't beat on my engine all that much but still, I do get into it relatively frequently.

I don't believe its something you should be worried about unless you regularly check your oil and find yourself actively burning quite a bit of oil. So far I can't say that I've in general noticed much if any burning. Even in my catch can as of right now, I only have maybe a drop or 2 in the past few hundred miles.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:29 PM
cbr4life

My car had the smell too after some hard run. The catch can is new to me. What's this? if I don't installed this, is there any negative affect on the engine performance & reliability?
Old 12-25-2011, 06:54 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cbr4life
My car had the smell too after some hard run. The catch can is new to me. What's this? if I don't installed this, is there any negative affect on the engine performance & reliability?
The catch can, also known as an air-oil separator, is a device that removes the oil from the air in the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) line and stores it in a small reservoir.

If you run your car hard, this is an important mod for the 5.0. If you do not install one, small amounts of oil could be sucked into your intake manifold. This can mess with the A/F ratio, and cause the buildup of sludge inside your engine.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:08 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Napoleon85
The catch can, also known as an air-oil separator, is a device that removes the oil from the air in the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) line and stores it in a small reservoir.

If you run your car hard, this is an important mod for the 5.0. If you do not install one, small amounts of oil could be sucked into your intake manifold. This can mess with the A/F ratio, and cause the buildup of sludge inside your engine.
I don't think the word "could" is appropriate here, all of them suck up oil unless you dump the pcv to the ground.

If you are going to keep your car for a long time or drive it hard, get a separator. You can build one from an air compressor air/oil separator (lowes, home depot, northern tool, harbor freight) and some lengths of hose spliced into your pcv system, or purchase one from the vendors. Simplicity wise get a JLT separator, simple push on installation and no modification for a mounting bracket. I looked at making my own to save a few dollars but it would have been half the price and looked like there should be duct tape involved. Bought one and havent looked back.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
I don't think the word "could" is appropriate here, all of them suck up oil unless you dump the pcv to the ground.
It's funny you said that ... originally I had used "will" and replaced it with "could." I suppose "will" would have been appropriate since I haven't seen anyone report installing an oil separator and it not catching oil...

Quick Reply: Burning Smell