Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Thinking of getting back in the game...

Old 01-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Default Thinking of getting back in the game...

After selling my pride and joy a few years back - I miss the thrill of the mustang.

Any issues or quirks with the new models that I should be aware of? Granted I could read pages upon pages of threads - but I rather get a short list
Old 01-02-2012, 12:59 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Basically dont get a manual lol. Its a hit or miss for some people but a ton of people are having issues with the MT-82 manual trans on these cars. There are a ton of people on svtperformance.com that sold their manual 5.0s for auto's, so that should tell you right there.

Also you cant tune the car cause ford WILL KNOW, and no theres no way around it (YET), and if they find out you have an aftermarket tune they will void your motors warranty.

Otherwise I love the car and its quick as hell =D. Oh, and I got the auto =P
Old 01-02-2012, 01:42 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
Basically dont get a manual lol. Its a hit or miss for some people but a ton of people are having issues with the MT-82 manual trans on these cars. There are a ton of people on svtperformance.com that sold their manual 5.0s for auto's, so that should tell you right there.

Also you cant tune the car cause ford WILL KNOW, and no theres no way around it (YET), and if they find out you have an aftermarket tune they will void your motors warranty.

Otherwise I love the car and its quick as hell =D. Oh, and I got the auto =P
Both of my dreams - shot down

Thanks for the heads up though. What type of program does Ford have in place to find the AM tune?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:31 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I know tell me about it, I wanted the manual sooooooo bad and was down there to put a deposit on a car, but that day another car exactly the same got there with an auto so my father talked me into the auto.

As far as the tuning, ford has a flash counter in the PCM which tells how many times the computer has been flashed. If you tune the car with an aftermarket tune thats 1 flash, than tune it back to stock to bring it in for service thats another flash (total of 2). Get what I'm trying to say lol? Basically if you go in there with a blown motor and ford see's the computer was flashed, they pull the it was tuned card and your warranty if out the door.

Also ford has been denying service on the effed up manual transmission if they see mods cause they say it was raced or abused, but that depends on the dealer you go to. Some are more easy going with mods than others, but when it comes to the tuning ford themselves asks to see the pcm before fixing a blown motor
Old 01-02-2012, 04:21 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
I know tell me about it, I wanted the manual sooooooo bad and was down there to put a deposit on a car, but that day another car exactly the same got there with an auto so my father talked me into the auto.

As far as the tuning, ford has a flash counter in the PCM which tells how many times the computer has been flashed. If you tune the car with an aftermarket tune thats 1 flash, than tune it back to stock to bring it in for service thats another flash (total of 2). Get what I'm trying to say lol? Basically if you go in there with a blown motor and ford see's the computer was flashed, they pull the it was tuned card and your warranty if out the door.

Also ford has been denying service on the effed up manual transmission if they see mods cause they say it was raced or abused, but that depends on the dealer you go to. Some are more easy going with mods than others, but when it comes to the tuning ford themselves asks to see the pcm before fixing a blown motor
I have a good a idea on how to bypass this little mess, but its a pain in the butt to do it all the time.

They finally took enthusiasm and the business out of modding the mustang

Last edited by Smooth_J; 01-02-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:07 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Funny the guy telling you not to buy a manual has an automatic. Have there been a few issues with the manual trans? Sure but not enough to buy an automatic! Test drive both and you make the decision for yourself.

I personally wouldnt buy this car in a auto trans but that's just me. I have not had any issues whatsoever with mine, I doubt you will either!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:17 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Buy the manual. Mine is a little stiff when cold. I plan on upgrading to the MGW shifter. It seems to cure much of the shifting problems.

I am not overly concerned with not being able to tune it. 400+ HP on pump gas ain't too shabby.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

While there are definitely issues with the new manual tranny, don't let one guy's opinion influence your judgment...

So far, everyone I know that owns the new manual 5.0 didn't take it back to the dealer for transmission problems yet, so it's a good sign.
Try to talk to folks in your area that drive these cars and see how many of them actually complain about the tranny and go from there.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 AM
knightryder
1st Gear Member

My wife and I do not believe in cars with automatic transmissions. I have a 11 Mustang GT with the manual. It is the sweetest shifting transmission I have ever had the pleasure of driving and that includes both summer and bitter cold New England winters.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:00 AM
jamesfs912

I have a manual with no problems and I love it! I wouldn't of gotten a tune but since AM released their tunes with a warranty I don't have to worry about it. The only problem I have had with mine was a groaning sound coming from the front end over speed bumps but the dealership replaced the front lower control arms to fix that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of getting back in the game...