Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New K&N Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:40 PM
mattaglover

Question New K&N Cold Air Intake

Does anyone have any information on the new K&N intake? I know it is going to be closed box like the AEM. I would like to know more info if anyone knows.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 PM
knightryder
1st Gear Member

I remember reading a few months ago that a member on this site was letting his 11 mustang GT be used as a test mule for a new K&N CAI. I haven't heard anything since then and I don't see anything yet on their website besides the air and oil filters.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:21 PM
mattaglover

I was told it was shown at the SEMA show but no one has a release date. I have been holding out on an intake for a year now just to see how they one up all the already released intakes. I hope my wait is worth it.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 AM
uin2it
3rd Gear Member

Usually, in my experience the K&N stuff is over priced for what it offers. In the past they have produced less hp/tq than any of the ones on the market now. But, i am interested to see how it turns out this time.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

From what I have come to notice, K&N can't really develop very good results for the late model vehicles. I feel like they feel that they have to release a product because they are a name brand, and then half-*** it.

There are so many great intakes on the market and there really is no point in waiting. Most Cold air intakes are nearly the same and you can't say that one brand is a huge improvement over the other. Its the tuning along with the intake that yields the increase in HP/TQ.

My advice, stop waiting and order one.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

The AEM kit developed their dryflow filter with K&N, call it close enough. It has K&N branded on the filter, then a big fat AEM sticker on the tube and embossed on the cover. Most of them have the same gains (seriously, how many different "better ways" can you get air from A to B economically?). Possible exception would be the JLT because of its massive size, and then you only have practical benefits at 4K on a road course. Everything else is about aesthetics under the hood. Hence the reason I went with the only closed-box option on the market.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:30 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

From the research I have done the stock 2011+ airbox with a K&N drop in offers the same benefits as the aftermarket CAI's the real difference is with an aftermarket Tune! Do your research people!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 AM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
From the research I have done the stock 2011+ airbox with a K&N drop in offers the same benefits as the aftermarket CAI's the real difference is with an aftermarket Tune! Do your research people!
That is stupid. Show your so called research. Yes the tune does help a ton, but most good CAIs need the tune to have the car run correctly because they are allowing SO much air to shoot through. The drop in filter can and will not give you the same advantages that a nice CAI will.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I too have seen that a CAI offers little WHP change, about 5whp-10whp, not worth the cost when that is your only mod. BUT, I have seen someone who had an O/R X pipe then added a CAI and gained 15-20whp off the CAI. You need to free up your exhaust to make the most out of that additional air.

So, if you dont want to do any other mods, yes just a tune is fine. If you want a boss intake manifold and/or exhaust, then yes, Get a CAI. There are only a handful of bolt-on mods for these cars, so to maximize bolt-ons you'll need a CAI. To me the real waste of money is the LT headers, they are so expensive for the gains i've seen. (10whp) most of the gains are from an off-road mid-pipe.
that's all i have left to do on my car though, LT headers, stall, driveshaft, big & littles/slicks and i'll have all bolt-ons.. someone with those bolt ons has ran 11.3@118.

I would never buy a K&N product, they haven't developed anything good from what i've seen and overcharge for their products. JLT/Steeda/C&L are all good choices for a CAI, and nobody has ever been able to squeeze out more whp than what those companies have, I don't expect anyone to either. K&N has been making inferior Cold-air induction systems on the 05+ mustangs, I dont see any reason to wait for one.

Last edited by Mishri; 01-30-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 PM
MustangCHN
1st Gear Member

I seen K&N CAI for GT500 on AM site. the only K&N product on my car is the oil filter.lol i already got the C&L CAI and it works great. I want to get O/R mid pipe also. But I'm afraid that can't pass the emission test.

Quick Reply: New K&N Cold Air Intake