Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Why is picking an exhaust setup so hard?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Default Why is picking an exhaust setup so hard?

I've been on youtube for hours trying to decide on an exhaust. I love the sound of the magnaflow catbacks with offroad x, but I won't be doing the off road x for at least a while. Also, it's my impression that unlike my old GT, I won't be able to tune it back to stock if I need warranty repair without them knowing. Is this correct?

I also like the sound of the roush axle backs, but finding videos without other mods done has been hard. Does anyone have the heartthrob axlebacks with resonator tips? Can you post a video if so?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Imho, youtube videos do NOT do justice for sound quality. Find some guys local and hear their cars. Though, I've heard NOTHING but good things about the GT500 mufflers. Or....stock mufflers and deleted resonators.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

Agreed with Ditty, youtube posts can be misleading. I've got the SLP Loudmouth axle back on my '12 GT and absolutely LOVE the sound. It's loud, but agressive... which is what i like.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:47 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

I agree with the above as well. I love my Magnapack setup and am surprised that more people don't use them.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Yeah. I had loudmouths on my 06, but am looking for something just a little quieter and more refined sounding. I know that videos don't do the sound justice, so I'm trying to compile as much info as possible before I decide. There aren't really any local cars that I've seen, much less modified exhausts local. I live in northern MN, so mustangs aren't the most popular vehicle of choice here.

I might be leaning towards the heartthrobs just because of cost, and I can always change later if I decide to.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:21 PM
SixIron

For what its worth, I was in pretty much the same dilemma. I took my 12 Stang GT to a Ford dealer last Sat AM considering axleback Flowmaster American Thunders and the whole Ford Racing Performance pack (CAI, axleback and tuner). The counter guy was nice enough to tell me they had recently installed the FRP on a new GT and offered to drive it up so I could hear it. He did, and it was only modestly louder than stock. He said they installed a buttload of the Flowmasters and I went ahead and pulled the trigger on those. 45 minutes later I could hear it leavig the garage and driving back up the service lane. They were a LOT louder but I liked it. Several days later, still no regrets. The price was pretty good and I love the results. Dunno if any of that will help you with your situation but heck, you're compiling info!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I second the comment on the GT500 axlebacks. If you want a more aggressive sound go for roush. They are nice and have no drone issues. If you plan on getting an o/r x pipe you do need to stick with chambered mufflers or it will drive you up the wall.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Love my Roush, but I am stock from the mufflers forward. Nice rumble, aggressive under wide open throttle.

I second Ditty and CrzyHrs, don't waste time watching videos. I didn't decide on mine until I heard them in person.

Be patient.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 PM
swensicle
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone. Good advice! I'm leaning towards the roush axlebacks now. I've done even more listening and research and I think that is the route I want to go. I'm hoping that they will sound good in the future if I add an off road X. So far, my favorite sounding mustang via youtube is this setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCU7D...eature=related
Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Thats the setup I want, but exactly like you said I dont want to tune for a while. I want an o/r x with magnaflow comp catback, but for now I am sticking with my roush's and just deleting the resonators.

Quick Reply: Why is picking an exhaust setup so hard?