Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Put the mustang on the scales today

Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 PM
scott4.6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
How much weight did the wheels shave off?

Did you just remove the front bar to go to the track? I wouldn't recommend leaving it off.
If it is weight reduction for passes at the track, I also pull the passenger seat and the rear seat bottom (50 more lbs). The rear seat backs are 15lbs, but slightly more hassle to remove. A gallon of windshield washer fluid in the reservoir is 8lbs. All of that is another 75lbs for passes at the track.
My tailpipes are around 18 more lbs(I don't remember the exact figure off the top of my head). I recently pulled them because I love the deep rumble without the tailpipes.
That is close to another 100lbs available.

A tubular K and control arms will get you around 70lbs reduction.
Good luck in your quest for 2900!
Thanks, this weight reduction is starting to be fun.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:39 AM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

If you add together all of those things true blue mentioned + removed the stock seats you will be getting under 3000lbs. Those front seats are heavy, and there are quite a few good looking light replacements out now adays.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 AM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scott4.6
just minor things.
Front sway bar and all hardware
light weight alum wheels ( 15x10 and 15x3 .5
the weight off the rear end housing
The metal plate under the steering colum
the little black boxes in the rear wheel wells and all the brackets

Fiberglass hood
spare tire and jack
wouldnt mind losing some weight on mine either . i have a few quick questions if you dont mind. will taking the weight off of the rear end have any adverse effects? what does it weigh? what are those little black boxes in the rear wheel wells?

thanks and good luck on the diet
Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

Damn my B is at a robust 3480 lbs lol
Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
scott4.6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by My1stGT
wouldnt mind losing some weight on mine either . i have a few quick questions if you dont mind. will taking the weight off of the rear end have any adverse effects? what does it weigh? what are those little black boxes in the rear wheel wells?

thanks and good luck on the diet
The dog bone on the rear end has no adverse affects what so ever, and it weighs 8 lbs or better.The little black boxes dont do a thing, im not even sure why they are on their. I took the little black boxes and all the little brackets that they were bolted to off.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:39 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I don't know anything about those black boxes...

It is better to remove weight from the front than the rear for weight transfer/distribution issues. That being said, weight is the enemy of everything performance oriented. Stopping, turning and accelerating all happen better with less weight. In basic terms, your trap speed at the drag strip is a reflection of your power to weight ratio. Less weight is like adding power when it comes to racing.

If you haven't already done so, I recommend relocating the 35lb battery from the front corner of the car to the right rear corner of your trunk. This won't reduce weight, but it is a good move to improve the weight distribution.

The one place that a lot of guys (myself included) tend to ignore on weight reduction is sitting in the driver's seat. I could drop 20lbs and both me and the car would be quicker
Old 02-12-2012, 04:16 PM
scott4.6
2nd Gear Member

I need to put the battery in the trunk for sure. And myself could drop about 40 lbs. Their is no reason to only put the mustang on a diet when i could do the same. lol
Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

What's the best way to secure the battery in the trunk? Any tips as how/where to run the power/ground wiring?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:32 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Syracuse315
What's the best way to secure the battery in the trunk? Any tips as how/where to run the power/ground wiring?
You can use "L" or "J" bolts to secure the battery box to the floor of the trunk.
I ran my power wire mostly down along the FLSFC on the passenger side of the car. Ground wire just needs to find a good ground point close to the battery. A battery relocation kit is pretty easy to install. Just plan out the mounting location and wire routing before you start mounting and running stuff.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Sounds good, I'm assuming a battery box is needed?

OP what "dog bone" are you talking about?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Put the mustang on the scales today