Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
SapperDaddy21B

Vehicle: 2011, Ford Mustang, GT
Exclamation Number of issues. Any input greatly appreciated.

Yeah, it's been a while since I posted that "Hello" thread.

And a number of things have occured.

Looking for some assitance, and ideas for the following issues, as none of my friends have this car or are even qualified to assist.... I think...

Anyway:

1) Rear differential's leaking on the driver side portion. Was aslight leak, now the entire left (driver side) section is moist and wet.

2) Transmission's acted funny since day 1. When it first starts, and I try to shift from first to second, if I slowly shift, the Tranny will grind. If I shift fast, it'll just seem like a rough shift. And it'll happen mostly when going from 1 - 2, and from 2 - 3 gears.

3) Installed 3 mods onto the car with a 93R tune from BAMA. The mods were:

BOSS 302 Intake Manifold
JLT Cold Air Intake
BBK Shorty Headers.

I took off the Intake Manifold and the Cold Air Intake, and re-tuned the car back to stock (kept the headers on), but now the car is being amazing, and throwing CEL codes of:

P0172 - System Too Rich
P2198 - 02 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich

Could the Headers be causing this?

Is it a screwed up MAF that's causing it?

Autozone has a 2010 MAF that's for 164$, are the 2010 MAF's interchangeable with the 2011 MAF's?

4) Since I took the Intake Manifold and the Intake off, and put the stock ones back, and re-tuned it to stock, would that void my warranty in the eyes of the Dealership when I take it in on Wednesday for it to be serviced for the Tranny / Diff. Leak issues?

Any input, ANY AT ALL would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone here's in the Rockland County region of NY, let me know.

Always looking for fellow Stangers nearby.

-Sapper
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
SapperDaddy21B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
JimC

Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapperDaddy21B View Post

1) Rear differential's leaking on the driver side portion. Was aslight leak, now the entire left (driver side) section is moist and wet.

r
That probably isn't the rear differential leaking. There is an axle vent on the driver side. With hard acceleration it will throw more than air out and look like a leak.

I believe that for your model year there is a TSB on it.

I had the same thing on my 2006 (but the vent is on the passenger side) and bought the Ford repair. It looks like a turkey baster that replaces the vent. It lets the air vent out, but if fluid spills with it the bulb captures it and it drains back.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT Brembo Package

1. .. not a big deal. There is a TSB for this, but again, not a big deal.

2. .. that's just the way it is. Let the transmission warm up. It will be "notchy" for the first 5 minutes or so then will smooth out. Things will get better when the weather is warmer, but the tranny is not happy when cold. I have the same "problem".. but i also get a random grind (a real grind) into 5th. It's happened 3-4 times since I've had the car.. so I'm not too worried.

Id shift 1-3-5 for the first 5 minutes. It seems to work. I don't think we should have to treat this car like it's 20 years old while it warms up.. but once it does, things seem to be pretty smooth.

3... I have no idea. I haven't modded this car because I was waiting for the transmission to fall apart. So far it's just stayed the same... but i'll wait until the warrantee is up before I do anything. I think my car runs rich in stock form since it stinks up the garage pretty quickly in the am.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
SapperDaddy21B

Thanks for the replies, guys.

If anyone else has any more intel to put into this discussion, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
SapperDaddy21B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That probably isn't the rear differential leaking. There is an axle vent on the driver side. With hard acceleration it will throw more than air out and look like a leak.

I believe that for your model year there is a TSB on it.

I had the same thing on my 2006 (but the vent is on the passenger side) and bought the Ford repair. It looks like a turkey baster that replaces the vent. It lets the air vent out, but if fluid spills with it the bulb captures it and it drains back.

Ok, so I guess when I take it to the dealership on Wed. they'll pretty much tell me the same thing.

At least I know that the rear end isn't going to blow up, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post
1. .. not a big deal. There is a TSB for this, but again, not a big deal.

2. .. that's just the way it is. Let the transmission warm up. It will be "notchy" for the first 5 minutes or so then will smooth out. Things will get better when the weather is warmer, but the tranny is not happy when cold. I have the same "problem".. but i also get a random grind (a real grind) into 5th. It's happened 3-4 times since I've had the car.. so I'm not too worried.

Id shift 1-3-5 for the first 5 minutes. It seems to work. I don't think we should have to treat this car like it's 20 years old while it warms up.. but once it does, things seem to be pretty smooth.

3... I have no idea. I haven't modded this car because I was waiting for the transmission to fall apart. So far it's just stayed the same... but i'll wait until the warrantee is up before I do anything. I think my car runs rich in stock form since it stinks up the garage pretty quickly in the am.
Yeah, number 3 is really the big issue for me... I don't understand how the Headers alone could cause the system to run rich.

I'm not that technically knowledgeable, but at the same time, from what my mechanics, and friend (who has an STI w/ 600WHP) told me, it doesn't make sense, unless there's an intake leak somewhere, and we checked all the hoses.

Last edited by JimC; 02-12-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
JimC

Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible

Fixed your double post.

The TSB has the part number for the "turkey baster" fix. I can't find a copy of it right now. Since I put it on I haven't had any leakage from the vent.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Vehicle: 2012 5.0 premuim

sapperdaddy21B, you should call BAMA about the headers/codes, they'll probably know as they typically test out products before they sell them.

the 2010 MAF isn't useable on a 2011, you shouldn't need to replace it anyway, just clean it.

If I were you, i'd do this:

I'd put your mods and tune back on and bring it to the dealership, if someone can find that TSB for you it will help. Just call up ford say you are seeing the liquid there and give them the TSB and they'll cover it even with mods. mods don't void warranties, it's a known issue even on stock cars, they can't claim the mods caused that. If you can't get the TSB # just say you know there is a TSB out on this issue, they have access to all of them.

Automatic, Steeda CAI, 4.10 gears, Boss Intake, BBR O/R X, Steeda Tune, M&H Drag Radials.
12.6@112mph (DA corrected 11.7@119mph)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpOnFire View Post
mishri created the universe
Mishri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 330i and 2011 GT/CS

yeah, I'd be calling bama, then taking this one back to the dealer. Good luck.
essayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

I've had the fix on the leaking diff fluid. So far so good but only been a week. I have the same mods you have essentially and the dealership said nothing about them. Remember the tranny is designed to have that stupid "skip shift" for gas mileage. I sware this has something to do with all the shifting issues around 1st and 2nd gear in this car. This is the criteria that makes it skip:
Warm engine (greater than 170 degrees F coolant)
Start from a dead stop (approx 1 to 2 secs to stabilize idle)
Vehicle speed between 15 and 19 mph
Throttle pedal less than 25% open (but not closed pedal)
Engine speed greater than 1200 rpm
1st gear validated

I got my tune from brenspeed and the eliminated the skip shift. I had shifting issues as well but once the tune from them was in it ran much smoother. Don't know if american muscle does that worth asking.

Loose is fast and on the edge of out of control...
2012 Mustang GT
Pypes catback super system, bbk x pipe, steeda cai, boss 302 intake, brenspeed 93 octane race tune. Steeda lower control arm upper control arm front and rear sway bars sport springs fays watts linkage system steeda shocks tri ax short shifter.
SSKILLER5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
302, baster, boss, brenspeed, intake, issues, manifold, mustang, shifting, tune, turkey, vent, void, warranty