Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP

Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 PM
GT/CS_2011
1st Gear Member

Check your plugs..you may need a colder plug..I had to change my factory sparks about that same time and they were gapped down

Good luck...I have been running headers, x-pipe, cai, nitrous, JLT/SCT tunes etc, etc.....for 18 months and 24k miles with a deleted cat tune, dyno tune modifications etc..and only had to turn off the aft Ox2..raced at the track and hard on the street..about the same mods you have except for the spray..I think you would have had to do something extreme to hurt a NA 5.0
Old 02-27-2012, 05:25 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

I checked the oil at my last gas-up, and even with 2500 miles, it was clear and the level was perfect. I just checked it again, and it is black as pitch and 1/2 quart low, less than 200 miles later. I had the wife start the car with me behind it, and it belched white smoke at start-up. Looks like it's hurt. This SERIOUSLY sucks.

Last edited by AKElroy; 02-27-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Personally I wouldn't bother paying someone for a diagnostic, I'd just take it to Ford and hope they don't charge too much or hope that they cover the diagnostic under warranty (they should). Some dealerships have done engine tear-downs before being denied the warranty. leaving a pretty big bill which I think sucks, so just be careful about how far they go I guess.

If I had a blown #8 i'd just build it up better than ever... if I could afford to.

you can't tell much by the color of the oil. I'd just take it in and not do anything more to it, maybe you'll be lucky and it's just mis-fires like GT/CS_2011 said get new colder plugs.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

If I had a blown #8 i'd just build it up better than ever... if I could afford to.

Not an option.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

If you have a good relationship with the dealer they can work around warranty work. I blew my trans. up after installing my s/c took to the dealer where I bought it, they rebuilt it under warrranty. If the 5.0's having this problem are the ones with a tune only , then the tunes are bad in my opinion. The 05-10 don't seem to have an issue after being tuned. I never had a problem with my 05, I had serveral different tunes, nos, and ran it had for 36k then decided to up the h.p. and went with a forged block. Try and check if this dealer is mod friendly some are and some are real pains about it. Good luck anyways.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
YellowBlaze

My 2012 had the #7 Blow out.... It needed a full long block replacement... but there was an audible knocking.. and noticeable power reduction.

I would say have them prove your issue was from your tune or mods... my car only had a cat back exhaust, never changed anything else.. I think mine had to be a bad lemon from factory because it was at 4000 miles when it blew. However it is still not right, and may never be unfortunately... good luck to me and you both!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 AM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

YellowBlaze -- You may be the fabled "missing link". Yours is the first post I have seen where a non-tuned car rolled a ring. You had no tune, correct?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

When you were running the tune before it went did you noticr any pinging or anything at the upper rpm range?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:21 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Going to be watching this thread for sure. I'm curious to see how all of this goes down for you...truly fingers crossed that this gets resolved under warranty at no cost to you. Brenspeed has a solid reputation for a reason and I would doubt that one of their tunes was truly "bad". Albeit it now has me nervous since I'm running a Brenspeed 87 tune on my 5.0 currently.

And just when I was feeling like I didn't have to be paranoid... :\
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 AM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Having received some good advice I have changed my plan. It appears that even if the dealership wants to work with me, I will be shooting myself in the foot by showing up with the mods in place, which pretty much requires them to make note of them, painting Ford into a corner. I will return the CAI & tune to OEM, take it in, and see what they say. I will not be concealing anything from them, and I will answer any questions they ask regarding the mods. That happens in the morning; Prayers are appreciated!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP