Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maraman
Seriously guys, I know it makes you worry, but there are thousands of cars out there running tunes, just because a handful of people have been unlucky, it shouldn't change your mind on whether or not to tune your own vehicle.

Whats it going to take, the thousands of people out there to start threads saying that their car is running fine?

Yea its disturbing and makes you second think tuning your car, but it wont stop me from putting my JLT CAI and BAMA tune on my car when the weather gets nicer here.

I have the BAMA warranty for my piece of mind.
I agree. The failure rate is very small. That shouldn't discourage anyone from modding their car if they like. But if you are uncomfortable I guess you have to do what is best for you. Me dump the clutch chase the red line and don't look back. If it breaks it breaks. I bought this mustang because I love to drive and I love performance. Otherwise I would have bought an accord or something.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Just taking extra time making sure I'm good with the risk. I normally buy everything on impulse and dont look back. But gotta new house to buy and don't need to be dropping $4500 on new motor if it goes pop. Car used to be first priority but i ain't getting any younger and want a house
Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

If you follow the flow chart in the TSB, you will see that if you change the "hardware" (i.e. air box, etc.) back to stock, and the "software" (i.e. the tune) back to stock and do not do a complete drive cycle, Ford will automatically assume you were running a tune before you brought it in and have reflashed it. A reflash or disconnecting the battery does the same thing, it resets your emissions monitors to a "not ready" status (and will store a P1000 DTC) Do a complete drive cycle first and check that your monitors are all "ready", and once they are, you are all set and no one will be the wiser
Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpplaw
If you follow the flow chart in the TSB, you will see that if you change the "hardware" (i.e. air box, etc.) back to stock, and the "software" (i.e. the tune) back to stock and do not do a complete drive cycle, Ford will automatically assume you were running a tune before you brought it in and have reflashed it. A reflash or disconnecting the battery does the same thing, it resets your emissions monitors to a "not ready" status (and will store a P1000 DTC) Do a complete drive cycle first and check that your monitors are all "ready", and once they are, you are all set and no one will be the wiser
Could you define a complete drive cycle? I'm still somewhat of a car noob so I'd really appreciate the info!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpplaw
This worked on my 08 everytime. Ford just thought that my battery died. That was the good thing about the xcal2 in the way it flashed the pcm. Think the 11-12's are different and if the #8 pops the dealer sends the pcmc to Ford and they check it.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:01 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

There is a sticky about the reflashing and what the dealer and ford can see, basically if you return to stock all they can see is the time it was returned to stock, it looks like a dead battery, as for tunes I have over10,000 miles on my c&L cai, axle backs, and tune, also if you do the research in the sticky section there have only been 4 recorded failures of the #8 .. Thats it, every builder out there says its really hard to hurt one of these engines, na...
Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

@jpplaw No, on the 11+ they can always see the number of times the ECU has been flashed. (tunes loaded) if the number is > 1 you are hosed for that issue. There have been multiple people denied warranty from it. The dealership told them everything checked out (because it had a stock calibration) and they did the engine tear down then Ford requests the ECU(or PCM) before they will approve the warranty claim and then Ford says denied! So dealership comes back and says sorry dude, $4,000.

@fordplay I think I've found up to 6 different claims last year around august, so im not sure how many new ones have popped up since then. i'd bet it's getting close to 8 or 9 now from what i've read. I dont feel like scouring all of the forums again. Failure rate is low enough I can't worry about it since i know hundreds of people are active on the forums with tunes and thousands have tunes and would post if they had an issue.

Last edited by Mishri; 02-29-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 AM
alcarames

I'm pretty sure it's much more than 8 or 9. Between all of the forums I've been on i'd say it's around 6-9 people. There are also the folks who do not post. For example my co-worker's neighbor, an older guy, bought the sct canned tune direct from them #8 popped. However, it was covered by ford. This was before the sh$t hit the fan with all the failures. My point is that guy has no clue about any of these forums, he never posted but he had a failure.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

After reading a lot and understanding it pays to play. And I'm ok with the risk. Just ordered the steeda Cai and sct3 tuner with steeda tunes and their cam idle tune. Should be on car Monday. Can't wait. Failure rate is low and steeda hasn't had a #8 issue yet. Can't wait.
Still want to know how and what u find out about ur car op.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 AM
alcarames

Shoeys08, you can't go wrong with steeda. Personally I would go with steeda or BBR, both very thorough and conservative while making power. Plus neither of them have had any failures.

Quick Reply: Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP