Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 AM
alcarames

Originally Posted by tony203040
I've talked to a local mechanic who believes the problem comes from a combination of a few things. The tune/CAI obviously increases air flow into the engine. He stated that when people engine brake (or down shift regularly) the engine will also pull more air. I'm sure most people have heard that oil gets pulled into the intake due to the PCV (PCV is designed to relieve gases from the crankcase). But, with so much air being pulled from the two conditions, more oil is pulled though the PCV and ultimately creating the piston to fail. He is an avid tuner in the community and states he hasn't had this issue since installing a different PCV...part # EV279. I'm hoping extremely experienced mechanics could chime in on their thoughts.

I ultimately purchased a PCV oil catch can. I don't think I will put the Steeda/tune back on the car...makes me nervous as hell. I'm new to the forums out there...but wanted to let everybody know my experience with Bama/AM and see what people thought of this mechanic's 'words of wisdom.'

Take care,
Tony
I've heard the same thing regarding the pcv on this motor, and that the oil that collects in the cylinders causes a lean condition along with a tune and when the moons align you get hurt cylinder. Again, number 8 being the furthest and last cylinder to receive cooling and furthest from the knock sensors. Apparently the pcv on there currently is very open and allows for oil to blow through which goes in the intake and finds its way up into the heads and ultimately the cylinders. The pcv from the gt500 is more restrictive in that sense.

There is also an interesting thread on the svtperformance forums with one of the tuners explaining how there is some malicious programming in the stock tune where if the tuner is unaware it will hurt your motor.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:42 PM
tony203040

Originally Posted by jyna06gt
yea they replaced the motor and honored the warranty, thats freakin awesome! (i love AM/BAMA BTW I used there tune on my 06 gt I had) however can you have them make you another tune and if the issue happens again will they replace the motor the 2nd time? If not then whats the point? your going to waste 600.00 for a intake tune package just to have a faster car until d-day comes then you get a new motor and are unable to reuse the intake and you cannot retune your car. so its basically a waste of $600.00 am I right?
Spoke to AM/Bama today. The warranty claim is tagged to the VIN, so buying another tuner from Bama does not get me another warranty. I would need to buy another car. So, it looks like I won't be using the CAI/tuner anymore, because I can't justify the risk. Such a shame because I loved the throttle response with the package.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by tony203040
Unfortunately, you are correct. I cannot claim a second warranty and am sitting on an almost brand new tuner/CAI. I plan to call into AM/Bama and find out if I decide to buy another tuner/CAI package...would I then rate another warranty. They open in a couple hours and I will report back with what I find out.

On a side note...the $8000 check did not cover the $9000 repair. But, I got to keep the damaged engine and ended up selling it on eBay for $1500. So, I ultimately came out on top with $500 and a new engine.
wow $1500 on ebay for a damaged engine? hmm.. sounds like a good way for me to build a forged engine then sell my perfectly good engine for what i spend in parts...

I don't have the knowledge/patience/tools right now for that though, but is an intriguing idea...
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM
tony203040

Originally Posted by Mishri
wow $1500 on ebay for a damaged engine? hmm.. sounds like a good way for me to build a forged engine then sell my perfectly good engine for what i spend in parts...

I don't have the knowledge/patience/tools right now for that though, but is an intriguing idea...
Same here...I have about 15 seconds a day to myself, so I knew the engine would ultimately end up sitting in my garage. So, I threw it up on eBay and got $1500 for it. A new engine from AM is $6300...so, not a bad chunk of change to make up for my loss.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Rob72
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by alcarames
I've heard the same thing regarding the pcv on this motor, and that the oil that collects in the cylinders causes a lean condition along with a tune and when the moons align you get hurt cylinder.
Oil from the PCV system also lowers the octane of the fuel.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:21 AM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Question

If tunes are a risky solution and CAI not a big hp difference.
What other hp or torque solutions are available for the 5.0 that are not considered risky for the engine or other drivetrain component?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter
If tunes are a risky solution and CAI not a big hp difference.
What other hp or torque solutions are available for the 5.0 that are not considered risky for the engine or other drivetrain component?
Honestly not much. Almost any modification performance-wise requires tuning to the car. Thats just how these cars are set up. You can't add something to these cars and expect for it to know that you added it.

It basically comes down to whether the performance gains you are adding justifies parting with the warranty.

Luckily we have the Magnason Moss act to back us for warranty claims, such that dealers have to be able to prove aftermarket parts are the cause of the damage.

It comes down to personal preference of the owner. Is it worth it or not?

For me? I'm going to mod until I go broke.

You never finish modding until you sell the car.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 AM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice Maraman.
Even if I install longer headers, will it be useless if I don't tune it?
Old 08-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter
Thanks for the advice Maraman.
Even if I install longer headers, will it be useless if I don't tune it?
Correct, headers have to be tuned.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

You'll be throwing codes from the rear O2 sensors and the front ones won't be calibrated for the lower temperature. It will be close and the car will run, but no guarantee on how well or how long.

Question about the #8 failure....what exactly happens when it fails? I know its detonation/knocking but does the car just quit? Every warning light on the dash go off and "limp" mode activates? Massive cloud of smoke? Just curious. I've seen pictures of the burned pistons and one with a collapsed piston/ring but I want to know a description of what you unfortunately experienced.

Quick Reply: Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP