Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Boss 302 Radiator and oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

they use 5w-20 for the cafe standards, better fuel economy. oil has been debated 100's of times on these forums, read up a bit on bobistheoilguy.com if you want to learn some stuffs...

as far as the automatic, you must not be a drag racer.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Smoothtexan

I read most of the site. First thing I noticed was aftermarket oil companies sponsoring it not manaufacutres. I don't go off forums or websites. I go on facts. Go to your local Ford dealer and talk to them. I know some industry insiders at Valvoline that confirm the same thing I am saying and will admit using higher weight oils is a marketing campaign to sell more oil. I can give you phone numbers to them if you want. I worked in the oil industry for years.

However keep using 20w-50 in your motor and don't cool the oil. Keep doing what your doing. Just don't tell people don't do things because you did not do serious homework or just don't have it on your car and tell others they are full of it.

Unless your "drag racer" is breaking 10's well lets get real it ain't a drag racer....

Best of luck to you Buddy!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smoothtexan
I read most of the site. First thing I noticed was aftermarket oil companies sponsoring it not manaufacutres. I don't go off forums or websites. I go on facts. Go to your local Ford dealer and talk to them. I know some industry insiders at Valvoline that confirm the same thing I am saying and will admit using higher weight oils is a marketing campaign to sell more oil. I can give you phone numbers to them if you want. I worked in the oil industry for years.

However keep using 20w-50 in your motor and don't cool the oil. Keep doing what your doing. Just don't tell people don't do things because you did not do serious homework or just don't have it on your car and tell others they are full of it.

Unless your "drag racer" is breaking 10's well lets get real it ain't a drag racer....

Best of luck to you Buddy!
It's easy to bash someone online when you don't have to look them in the face. And all Mishri was doing was trying to help. You have a different opinion then he does and don't need to be a ***** about it. Stop trolling here and go somewhere else.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Mishiri,

Before you go and get yourself upset please do more research. You can't run 20w-50 or 10w30 in these motors. The clearance is to small in some spots and if you run heavier weights these areas they get inadequate oil supply contributing to increased heat and wear. Talk to ford they will confirm the reason for using 5w-20. Do the research buddy before you get disrespectful with me.
Uh, the Ford recommends 5W-50 for the BOSS 302, and it says it right on the oil cap. It's basically the same engine, save for some forged internals, valves, springs, etc. So.....maybe you should so your research. I agree with Mishri, 5W20 is recommended because od CAFE standards.
There are even some engines that now recommend 5W20 that used to recommend 5W30, and the engine design has not changed at all!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Smoothtexan

Guys grow up really! Jesus!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Mishiri,

Before you go and get yourself upset please do more research. You can't run 20w-50 or 10w30 in these motors. The clearance is to small in some spots and if you run heavier weights these areas they get inadequate oil supply contributing to increased heat and wear. Talk to ford they will confirm the reason for using 5w-20.
Sorry pal but you're way off base here. I run 10w-30 now with no issues. Did you know the 2013's with the track packs use 5w-50 and they have the same motors as the cars that don't have the track pack's? So why do they get 5w-50 and all others get 5w-20? Because Ford knows they'll get driven harder. Nothing more. Nothing to do with "clearances" or "tolerances."
Old 07-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Smoothtexan

Guys,

5W-50 has the same properties (thinness) as 5W-20. It just tolerates heat better that's all. 10W-30 and 20W-50 are thicker at atmosphere and engine operating temperatures.

Please if you don't believe me call a corporate office of any oil maker and ask.

Scottmatch if you would have read the earlier post you would know that this whole thing started over Mishri stating "the Boss Radiator and oil cooler added to a GT 5.0L is a waste of time and money". Which by the way is in your track pack. You took the side of the guy dissing your ride! LOL!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Scottmatch if you would have read the earlier post you would know that this whole thing started over Mishri stating "the Boss Radiator and oil cooler added to a GT 5.0L is a waste of time and money". Which by the way is in your track pack. You took the side of the guy dissing your ride! LOL!
It's scottmach by the way. And apparently you aren't too bright. I have a 2011 as one can clearly see in my signature. No track pack for me.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:19 PM
griffojm

I believe that Ford 5W-50 in the GT500 as well as the Boss 302. My Acura TSX originally recommended 5W-30 (on the oil filler cap) but most Honda/Acura dealers use 5W-20 instead.

From my experience, 5W-20 will improve fuel economy. I made the mistake of using 10W-30 in my wife's old ZX2. Her MPGs dropped by a noticeable margin.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Senderofan

Originally Posted by Mishri
cooler oil = longer oil life? I'd disagree, it depends on the oil viscosity and oil temp, if you are doing normal driving or drag racing generally a 10w-30 isn't going to break down quickly.

If you are doing roadcourse and high rpm driving for extended periods a 20w-50 will help you more than I think that oil cooler will.

I believe the primary purpose of the boss cooling equipment is so you can run it on a road course with 10w-30 and not worry about engine oil getting too hot for its viscosity.

bad investment? in most situations yes.

Ford Recommends 5w-50 for the Boss....evidently to help protect against viscosity breakdown while racing on a track. I'm running 5w-50 RedLine oil for a track event and then switching to 10w-40 for normal driving....which had been studied extensively by a Boss owner. Fords own 5w-50 full synthetic oil seems to lack in performance....it's been reported to break down to a 40 weight oil within the first couple of hundred miles. I've never seen a recommendation for 20w-50.

I'm not sure how a heavier weight oil.....that could add to increased oil wrap on internal components...would equate to lower operating temps....versus a larger radiator and oil cooler. Not sure there is enough diference in heat absorption between 20w-50 and 5w-50 oil. I'll stick with my bigger rad. and oil cooler.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Boss 302 Radiator and oil cooler