Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Well I said screw it!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Default Well I said screw it!

Added it today and took it for a spin............it was fun! When I get time I'm gonna try to data log and get on a dyno. Also I have a quick question, this thing kinda whistles as in I can hear it, should it be like that? I had a Steeda on my first Mustang and I could hear it but not like this.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 03-06-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

a lot of cone-shaped intakes produce a slight whistle sound at certain rpms/throttle pressures. so long as the whistling isn't cause by a leak at some part of the intake, you're fine.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

agreed, i hear whistling on mine too, much more noticeable than my steeda cai on my 2007 GT. I also checked everything and made sure there were no leaks. I couldn't find any so I'm sure it's fine. I think part of it is that engine noise inlet tube, lets you hear the engine bay much more now.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:54 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
agreed, i hear whistling on mine too, much more noticeable than my steeda cai on my 2007 GT. I also checked everything and made sure there were no leaks. I couldn't find any so I'm sure it's fine. I think part of it is that engine noise inlet tube, lets you hear the engine bay much more now.
Ya I don't have any leaks....was just curious. I ended up taking out the sound tube and just putting the cover they provided over the hole.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:49 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Whistle is normal... I still have my sound tube on with my Steeda CAI. All I can say is OMG in the upper rpm's...I will probably take it off once I make my exhaust volume louder. Did the tube make a big difference?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NickSezz
Whistle is normal... I still have my sound tube on with my Steeda CAI. All I can say is OMG in the upper rpm's...I will probably take it off once I make my exhaust volume louder. Did the tube make a big difference?
It made zero difference and it cleaned up things under the hood a little.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Really?! Taking off the sound tube didn't quiet the cab down? You do have louder axle-backs than me though...So it may be hard to tell.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:44 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NickSezz
Really?! Taking off the sound tube didn't quiet the cab down? You do have louder axle-backs than me though...So it may be hard to tell.
I have the baffles removed from the side exhaust and those are louder than the axle backs, not to mention they are basically right under my seat so nothing in this car is quite.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:50 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has that "whistling" sound...I was worried as it didn't happen as much prior to installing a larger diameter throttle body (more show than go) so I was slightly worried. Didn't feel like anything was wrong so I just kept on chuggin'. Looks good man, looking forward to seeing what you think after the tune.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:02 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has that "whistling" sound...I was worried as it didn't happen as much prior to installing a larger diameter throttle body (more show than go) so I was slightly worried. Didn't feel like anything was wrong so I just kept on chuggin'. Looks good man, looking forward to seeing what you think after the tune.
I took it out today and I didn't do anything from a dead stop but I did sit in 2nd gear at about 30mph and smashed it through second and third. I was sitting at about 100mph when I let off, I was fairly impressed. The local track here has been shut down for 2 years but they are opening back up for a NHRA event this summer and will have a test and tune night with open runs in September. I'm gonna go and run but I'm not gonna throw down on some drag radials for a one night thing, if I was somewhere that had more than one event I would though.