Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Question on exhaust installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:44 AM
CaliSpecial14

Default Question on exhaust installation

So I am getting my MBRP cat back exhausts today. How difficult is changing out this set up going to be?

Is this something I will be able to do with just jack stands or am I going to need to find somone with a lift to raise the car up?

Only downside with the lift is I prolly wouldnt be able to get to one for a week and half.

Any tips or suggestions are greatly welcomed.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Morty8833
1st Gear Member

You should be able to do it with just jack stands but a lift is always better/easier. I installed my axle-backs with just jack stands, but used a lift to put in my x-pipe.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:31 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

I did my catbacks on jack stands. You will have to jack it all the way around just the rear won't work couldn't get enough clearance. The passenger side over the axle came off with ease however the driver side sent me into a fit of rage and almost ended up getting cut off with. You will definately probably need two people to help wiggling the pipes off..
Old 05-06-2012, 12:53 PM
itsmymilkyway
1st Gear Member

how does it sound? comparable to any other brands? got sound clips? hows the quality of workmanship? any info would be great, not a whole lot of info for MBRP exhaust
Old 05-06-2012, 06:53 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

I drove my car on full ramps and then had to jack the rear end up to where the tires almost came off the ground. You will need to raise the body enough to allow the axle to sag to get the pipes out.

Jack stands as high as you can get it I would suggest. That should do it

My damn mufflers are crooked and I cannot get them STRAIGHT!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:17 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

What? I read these kind of posts and I cannot beleive we are talking about the same car. Ford has made this probably the easyest car of all time to change out the mufflers. All I did was roll my back tires up on my ramps, unbolt the factory clamps, disconnect one end of the panhard bar and drop that down, work the stock muffs off of the rubber hangers, and work the mufflers out. Installation is even easier. Took all of maybe 35 minutes ! Easy!

99gtstang, try this if you have not already: get up under the car at about midway and loosen those long band-clamps where the mid-pipe bolts up (4 15mm bolts) also loosen the clamps at the axle-back mufflers. Now you should be able to wiggle the pipes around until you can get your mufflers straight and tips centered. Most aftermarket axle-backs require that you do this loosening of the mid-pipe to get things aligned, exept FRPP , which usually bolt right up like stock since they are made by Ford....
Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Oh yea, trust me I tried it all. I got them straight, but the mid pipes are lopsided under the car. I know exactly what you're talking about. Changed exhuast on my 07 a good 4 or 5 times and it was cake..... Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
Oh yea, trust me I tried it all. I got them straight, but the mid pipes are lopsided under the car. I know exactly what you're talking about. Changed exhuast on my 07 a good 4 or 5 times and it was cake..... Thanks
Ok, sorry didn't mean to dumbass you or anything. lots of folks don't know to try that. Maybe the '12's are different or something, or maybe yours is a little off. Yeah I changed axle-backs almost more than my underwear on my '08, and I got to where i could do it in 20 minutes. I must have tried at least 7 different ones.
Now I have an '11, just put some GT500 ab on it, and although not bad the '08 was much easier for sure!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:13 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Yea, ya did a little, but I don't care. I did the catback which was a bitch getting pipes in and out while on ramps lol. THe axleback yes, are must easier to swap on the 5.0 vs. previous years.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 AM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

Backed mine onto ramps, unbolted mid pipe, took off stock mufflers, put roush mufflers on. Literally no more than an hour and a half, by myself. And that was taking plenty of breaks for adult beverage goodness

Quick Reply: Question on exhaust installation