Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

1 > 4 Shift for Fuel Econ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 AM
SirJAG

Originally Posted by danman0469
I think mine gave up on trying to get me to skip shift.. seriously, the first couple of times the car did it, it locked me out of 2nd and 3rd, but now i get the message on the screen but i can still shift into 2nd.
this...it locked me out a couple times, now when i see the message it lets me go right to second anyways...very weird.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Believe me, every manual has it with the 5.0, read you manual. It is really tricky to make it hit it because of the parameters it requires. The right "gentle" acceleration, no faster than 1800-2200 rpm I believe, a gentle shift....and crap...your in 4th. The car does not learn differently. There is simply a solenoid on the tranny that slides into place blocking the shift to 2nd.

You do not need to spend money on a tune to remove it. Simply get under your car and look at the top, passenger side, rear corner of the tranny. There is a cable plugged into this area. Unplug it, tape the plugs for protection, tie the cable so it does not bounce around....done.

I did mine within the first 500 miles (13,000+ now) or so and have never had any tranny issues with the car. I always wonder if this has caused any issues with the poor shifting others have had but I am told no....

If you always accelerate briskly past the 2000 rpm range, you may never see this issue. The words only show up in the message center during the time it would force you into 4th....no other time plus it is a short time you can see it. I got caught the first time in traffic that had slowed on a corner in town just as I was moving. felt like I forgot how to drive a manual until I sorted out what happened.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=941&viewfil...20Solenoid.pdf

Last edited by AzPete; 04-01-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I have it show up on the dash and I'm still allowed to go to second.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:46 PM
SirJAG

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
I have it show up on the dash and I'm still allowed to go to second.
me too. i cant explain this either...the first couple times it made me shift to 4th...after that it hasnt happened since.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:39 PM
darksky1984
2nd Gear Member

After messing around trying to get the display to pop up I finally saw it, but only for a split second. If I wasn't focusing on the display I wouldn't have seen it. The easiest way I prevent skip shift is to just take off in 2nd gear for normal driving.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

kinda funny how it's in place to improve economy, but everyone either disables it or drives more aggressively so they don't have to be bothered with it.

hate skipshift.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:39 PM
CAV TOUGH

Yeah...I've never had an issue being forced to skip shift into 4th. It's hard to catch...you almost have to be looking at the display while you shift. It's not bothersome, just a unique feature I haven't seen anyone talking about on here.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
After messing around trying to get the display to pop up I finally saw it, but only for a split second. If I wasn't focusing on the display I wouldn't have seen it. The easiest way I prevent skip shift is to just take off in 2nd gear for normal driving.
Or this. Unless I decide to lay on it I almost never use first gear.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 PM
cbaty08
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CAV TOUGH
Yeah...I've never had an issue being forced to skip shift into 4th. It's hard to catch...you almost have to be looking at the display while you shift. It's not bothersome, just a unique feature I haven't seen anyone talking about on here.
Just as an FYI.. newer versions of our PCM will show this message for a longer duration. Ford did this to make folks more aware of what is happening when it happens.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Deki
1st Gear Member

Before my tune, i never minded it. I don't miss now that it's gone though lol

Quick Reply: 1 > 4 Shift for Fuel Econ?