Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

does anyone NOT have tranny problems 6MT

Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #41
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Saleen vert, 1966 289 v8 Coupe, 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaty08 View Post
What do you mean you USED the skip-shift feature???

You mean you just skipped 2 and 3 on your own will..?
Yes, when certain parameters are met in first gear the display will say shift from 1st to 4th for fuel economy. Some people hate this prompt and the only time I use it is when it's cold out and only until the car is warmed up.

Have not noticed any savings in fuel but it is a way to go easier on the transmission.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #42
cbaty08
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang GT (6-spd/Brembo/Grey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbstang13 View Post
Yes, when certain parameters are met in first gear the display will say shift from 1st to 4th for fuel economy. Some people hate this prompt and the only time I use it is when it's cold out and only until the car is warmed up.

Have not noticed any savings in fuel but it is a way to go easier on the transmission.
I am fully aware of what skip-shift is... so you're saying you purposely drive in an order to enable skip-shift?
cbaty08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #43
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Saleen vert, 1966 289 v8 Coupe, 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaty08 View Post
I am fully aware of what skip-shift is... so you're saying you purposely drive in an order to enable skip-shift?
No, I don't purposely drive in such a manner to always get the skip shift prompt. It just happens that I have a short drive to work with many stop lights so it does come up often; so I just shift 1st to 4th in those circumstances.

I see what you're getting at though (I think), if anyone drove that way on purpose; first of all it would be boring as hell. Second, they should be driving an old Buick Electra or something like that.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #44
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 BOSS 302 #1197

I used to always get the skip shift notification on the dash, I was always still allowed to go to second. I can't remember the last time that thing even came up come to think of it.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 05-02-2012 at 09:20 AM.
REDBOSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #45
Enochius
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT

I have the skip shift prompt come up occasionally but I always go to second anyway. I am not sure why they call it a "feature". I have been driving manual transmissions for years and sometimes on my own free will I skip gears to avoid so many shifts. I don't need a prompt telling me to do it so I always just ignore it.
Enochius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #46
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 GT Vert, 02 GT Vert

There are very fine lines you must be at when skip shift actually forces you into 4th. If you see the indication on the dash, you have moved past the required parameters for it to function as Ford intended. It WILL force you into 4th as there is a solenoid in the transmission that physically blocks second..... Mine has been unplugged because it hit at the worst time.....
I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and by supper time, I have half of it done.

2008 GT Vert, stock
2000 Lightning, s/c, tuned, Basanni, built tranny
Previous Mustangs:4 - '66 Coupes(silver/blue/grey/red) '87 GT HO, '00/'02/'07 GT Vert(red)(grey)(black), '68 Coupe, '11 GT/CS
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #47
cbaty08
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
There are very fine lines you must be at when skip shift actually forces you into 4th. If you see the indication on the dash, you have moved past the required parameters for it to function as Ford intended. It WILL force you into 4th as there is a solenoid in the transmission that physically blocks second..... Mine has been unplugged because it hit at the worst time.....
While I thought this also at one point, I along with others have found that without even having to apply more than normal pressure we are able to shift to 2nd even when SS message is being displayed.

YMMV?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #48
Enochius
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
I know for sure that it does not force you into fourth. I switch to second every time that I've seen the prompt without any issue.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #49
fordplay
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011, mustang, gt

I have a 2011 and the skip shift does in fact lock out 2nd gear. Before i had my tuner eliminate the "feature" i went to hit second and it started to slid me to 4th and no amount of force could change its mind, i coasted to nearly a stop before ir let me into second, that was not the first time but it was the last. Now they may have refined it for 2012 but 2011 was a lockout
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #50
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordplay View Post
I have a 2011 and the skip shift does in fact lock out 2nd gear. Before i had my tuner eliminate the "feature" i went to hit second and it started to slid me to 4th and no amount of force could change its mind, i coasted to nearly a stop before ir let me into second, that was not the first time but it was the last. Now they may have refined it for 2012 but 2011 was a lockout
I almost killed my clutch becasue of skip shift i think :

I launched on my old tires are 2400 rpm and just spun, then was going to do a massive 1st and 2nd gear burnout, let off of the gas in 1st gear at redline at about 14 mph tried to get it into 2nd but hit 4th, let the clutch out and it slipped. Burnt it a bit for a second but its fine now. I do want to disable mine. Its just 1 plug to unplug right? I tried to get under my car to look and unplug it but i couldnt fit. Theres a few plugs in the transmission, i dont want to unplug the wrong one.
2011 5.0 6 speed manual BAMA tuned with 20x10.5 Forgestar f14's with 315/35/20 BFG Rivals, 19x9's with 275/40/19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, Koni sport adjustable dampers, Steeda sport springs on the front, stock springs rear, Steeda 101mm CAI, UMI adjustable panhard bar, J&M Extreme joint LCA's, Strano adjustable front sway bar, Eibach camber bolts, Roush axleback
Andy13186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #51
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Mustang GT

Quote:
'12 locks you out too. I really need to fix that!

Custom ordered 2012 Mustang GT Premium, Kona Blue, 3.73 rear, Over the Top White Stripe and Optional 18" Polished Wheels. Built on Jan 4th, 2012.
Added: 2013GT Splash Guards, Ford GT Strut Tower Brace, MGW Shifter, Raxiom Smoked Aero Tail Lights,Moroso Air/Oil Separator, J&M Extreme Joint Rear Lower Control Arms, Infinity Reference 8602cfx speakers (x4).
allenmaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #52
Enochius
1st Gear Member

Maybe it's something to do with build date. I verified this morning that my car does not force me into fourth gear when the prompt is up. It goes into second just like normal regardless. Also, my car is still completely stock.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #53
r0cky00

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
SadrikX

Bah, they have to pull my tranny. Went in thinking they would do the TSB fluid thing and apparently they have some other "acronym" sheet stating there may be a bolt issue in the transmition.... not for sure on details but they will have it all day tomorrow to fix it. My main issue was with reverse and occassionally 1st,2nd and power 3rd shifting.
r0cky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #54
fordplay
1st Gear Member

DO NOT START UNPLUGGING THINGS IN YOUR TRANSMISSION. Contact a tuner, this is not a gm product the skip shift is electronic controlled with your computer. Call any tuner, get a tune and say eliminate the ski shift. Also i feel the transmission shifts a lot smoother when they so that
Old 05-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #55
Two5.0's

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Default Safercar.gov-2011 and 2012 Tranny problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0cky00 View Post
Bah, they have to pull my tranny. Went in thinking they would do the TSB fluid thing and apparently they have some other "acronym" sheet stating there may be a bolt issue in the transmition.... not for sure on details but they will have it all day tomorrow to fix it. My main issue was with reverse and occassionally 1st,2nd and power 3rd shifting.
You should read all the complaints to the government website about the problems with the tranny's. When you pull up your year (the 11 and 12), make and model under complaints, look at manual transmission and also powertrain. Here is one poor guy who had really bad problems:

Make : FORD Model : MUSTANG Year : 2012
Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY
Crash : Yes Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10444316 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: January 17, 2012
VIN : 1ZVBP8CF3C5...
Component: POWER TRAIN
Summary:
MY 2012 MUSTANG GT WAS MOST LIKELY TOTALED TONIGHT WHEN THE TRANSMISSION DID NOT ALLOW A SHIFT INTO 5TH GEAR. IT SLID INTO 3RD GEAR AND CAUSED THE WHEELS TO SPIN RESULTING IN THE CAR FISHTAILING AND HITTING A TREE IN THE MEDIAN. IT HAD JUST STARTED TO RAIN WHICH WAS A FACTOR IN THIS AS THE ROAD WAS SLICKER THAN NORMAL, BUT TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS BEEN REPORTED TO THE LOCAL FORD DEALERSHIP THIS PAST WEEK. THEY WERE TOO BUSY TO CHECK THE CAR WHEN REPORTED AND IRONICALLY, THE CAR WAS SUPPOSE TO BE LOOKED AT IN THE MORNING. WE HAD REPORTED TO FORD AN ISSUE WITH SHIFTING INTO 5TH GEAR. THEY TOLD US THERE WAS AN COMMON ISSUE WITH THIS BUT THERE WAS NO RECALL. ALL AIRBAGS DEPLOYED AND LUCKILY THERE WERE NO DEATHS. THIS IS NOT A CASE OF CARELESS DRIVING. THERE IS AN ISSUE WITH THE TRANSMISSIONS IN THESE CARS AND SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE. THERE WAS ALSO AN EYEWITNESS THAT REPORTED TO LAW ENFORCEMENT THERE WAS NO WRECKLESS DRIVING.

I guess Ford will recall them when they have million dollar law suits from deaths because of this. Like the Explorers and the tires! Or Toyota and their Camry's.
Two5.0's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #56
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Quote:
DO NOT START UNPLUGGING THINGS IN YOUR TRANSMISSION. Contact a tuner, this is not a gm product the skip shift is electronic controlled with your computer. Call any tuner, get a tune and say eliminate the ski shift. Also i feel the transmission shifts a lot smoother when they so that
Where did this come from....A bit of research shows this works. I disconnected mine from the first 500 miles.....14,000 miles ago. Never an issue as the solenoid is no longer activated by the computer and there are no issues. Normal power off position for the solenoid is for normal shifting.

Why pay for a tune...........If you want a tune, yes, have them shut it off....otherwise, unplug it for free.

Now, if one is not capable of accomplishing simple mechanical functions to their car, by all means do not just start pulling plugs. One must research and know what one is doing under the car.

And the guy that hit third.....not saying there are not problems, but I hit the wrong gear some until I learned how this tranny shifts a bit different from those in the past. Also, how does one not know to push the clutch in....you foot is still on it when it suddenly starts to slow down....push the clutch in and recover....so many of these sound a bit fishy to me.....but I was not there so I can only put an opinion down here.....
I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and by supper time, I have half of it done.

2008 GT Vert, stock
Previous Mustangs:4 - '66 Coupes(silver/blue/grey/red) '87 GT HO, '00/'02/'07 GT Vert(red)(grey)(black), '68 Coupe, '11 GT/CS

Last edited by AzPete; 05-04-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #57
cbaty08
1st Gear Member

Quote:
You're trippin' man.

I have heard the exact opposite straight from a Ford FSE's mouth that unplugging it has no ill effect and is perfectly fine to do.

Stop spreading wrong information please.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #58
fordplay
1st Gear Member

What wrong information did i spread? The poster said he was unsure on what to unplug.. so im assuming he didnt do research and didnt spend much time under his car. So would you want him yanking plugs? Yeah. Me either. Plus with shutting it off with a tune there are no open plugs under your car. I have no doubt it work but in his case i think a plug and play tuner is a much better alternative. Wouldn't you agree
Old 05-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #59
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Been discussed all over Mustang sites so the info on how to pull an electrical plug from the tranny is out there.

Not sure if the poster is ready to possibly cancel some warranty coverage or wants the extra from a tune either.

He may not be informed on either option......

2008 GT Vert, stock
Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #60
Eldo In The Weeds

Vehicle: 2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

21,000 miles on a 2011 5.0 with no transmission issues.
race red
black leather
Eldo In The Weeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:51 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2012, 2013, boss, cai, gt, gt500, installing, intake, issues, jlt, manifold, mustang, shelby, transmission, trouble