Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

does anyone NOT have tranny problems 6MT

Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 PM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cbaty08
What do you mean you USED the skip-shift feature???

You mean you just skipped 2 and 3 on your own will..?
Yes, when certain parameters are met in first gear the display will say shift from 1st to 4th for fuel economy. Some people hate this prompt and the only time I use it is when it's cold out and only until the car is warmed up.

Have not noticed any savings in fuel but it is a way to go easier on the transmission.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 PM
cbaty08
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vbstang13
Yes, when certain parameters are met in first gear the display will say shift from 1st to 4th for fuel economy. Some people hate this prompt and the only time I use it is when it's cold out and only until the car is warmed up.

Have not noticed any savings in fuel but it is a way to go easier on the transmission.
I am fully aware of what skip-shift is... so you're saying you purposely drive in an order to enable skip-shift?
Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
vbstang13
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cbaty08
I am fully aware of what skip-shift is... so you're saying you purposely drive in an order to enable skip-shift?
No, I don't purposely drive in such a manner to always get the skip shift prompt. It just happens that I have a short drive to work with many stop lights so it does come up often; so I just shift 1st to 4th in those circumstances.

I see what you're getting at though (I think), if anyone drove that way on purpose; first of all it would be boring as hell. Second, they should be driving an old Buick Electra or something like that.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I used to always get the skip shift notification on the dash, I was always still allowed to go to second. I can't remember the last time that thing even came up come to think of it.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 05-02-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Enochius
1st Gear Member

I have the skip shift prompt come up occasionally but I always go to second anyway. I am not sure why they call it a "feature". I have been driving manual transmissions for years and sometimes on my own free will I skip gears to avoid so many shifts. I don't need a prompt telling me to do it so I always just ignore it.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

There are very fine lines you must be at when skip shift actually forces you into 4th. If you see the indication on the dash, you have moved past the required parameters for it to function as Ford intended. It WILL force you into 4th as there is a solenoid in the transmission that physically blocks second..... Mine has been unplugged because it hit at the worst time.....
Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 PM
cbaty08
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
There are very fine lines you must be at when skip shift actually forces you into 4th. If you see the indication on the dash, you have moved past the required parameters for it to function as Ford intended. It WILL force you into 4th as there is a solenoid in the transmission that physically blocks second..... Mine has been unplugged because it hit at the worst time.....
While I thought this also at one point, I along with others have found that without even having to apply more than normal pressure we are able to shift to 2nd even when SS message is being displayed.

YMMV?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Enochius
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
I know for sure that it does not force you into fourth. I switch to second every time that I've seen the prompt without any issue.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:01 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

I have a 2011 and the skip shift does in fact lock out 2nd gear. Before i had my tuner eliminate the "feature" i went to hit second and it started to slid me to 4th and no amount of force could change its mind, i coasted to nearly a stop before ir let me into second, that was not the first time but it was the last. Now they may have refined it for 2012 but 2011 was a lockout
Old 05-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fordplay
I have a 2011 and the skip shift does in fact lock out 2nd gear. Before i had my tuner eliminate the "feature" i went to hit second and it started to slid me to 4th and no amount of force could change its mind, i coasted to nearly a stop before ir let me into second, that was not the first time but it was the last. Now they may have refined it for 2012 but 2011 was a lockout
I almost killed my clutch becasue of skip shift i think :

I launched on my old tires are 2400 rpm and just spun, then was going to do a massive 1st and 2nd gear burnout, let off of the gas in 1st gear at redline at about 14 mph tried to get it into 2nd but hit 4th, let the clutch out and it slipped. Burnt it a bit for a second but its fine now. I do want to disable mine. Its just 1 plug to unplug right? I tried to get under my car to look and unplug it but i couldnt fit. Theres a few plugs in the transmission, i dont want to unplug the wrong one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: does anyone NOT have tranny problems 6MT