Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

does anyone NOT have tranny problems 6MT

Old 05-23-2012, 03:22 PM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by r0cky00
As for my update on this issue, 1st - 6th seem to be "OK", not great but ok. However, reverse is still a pain in the "you know what". The Ford dealership in town is saying they thing it shifts properly into reverse... of course he said 5 people tried it and they had NO issues... that part makes this unbelievable so I can only assume he took the word of one of his technicians and amplified that to me, the customer.

Ohh, and of course they say no issues but later that day, last friday, they call me up and say they brushed across the back end of my car with another vehicle and so they have to paint my entire back bumper now as well as put on stripes again... still waiting for my car... grr.

Does that show up on my car report / carfax? If it does, wouldn't that de-value my car? How do you think the dealer can make it right? I've been without it for 5 days and they haven't offered me anything, not even a rental. Fortunately I have a van and a car to drive but still...

I know this may not be relevent to the Tranny problem, but it does for me...
I would call a lawyer and the lawyer may tell you not to receive the car. I wouldn't take the car back after the "wreck" and it's illegal in most states if a police report is not filed so the dealer may have commuted a crime. Worth making a call over.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:29 PM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

As far as my 6MT goes it has been great. Purchased new in August 2010, ran a very hard 7000 miles so far. Within 500 miles I had a Steeda shifter, Barton Bracket, and MTL fluids installed so that may have helped. I've ran it 30+ times at the track running between 11.9 and 15.3 second ETs and some close to 120mph. My driving skills are not the best LOL. Tire spin sucks. Another improvement was my Dynatech aluminum drive shaft. The lighter shaft made for much easier in-out rowing of the gears so less rotating mass helped or maybe something was loose LOL.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by wproctor411
I would call a lawyer and the lawyer may tell you not to receive the car. I wouldn't take the car back after the "wreck" and it's illegal in most states if a police report is not filed so the dealer may have commuted a crime. Worth making a call over.
A little bit of research goes a long way from wasting time and money on something as worthless as a lawyer at this point.

An accident on private property does not have to be reported in most states unless there is an injury. Not to mention that the other states probably wouldn't respond unless someone was hurt they (the police) due to budget cuts and having their resources stretched thin. Look up Accident reporting requirement for "your state here"

The dealer disclosed the accident and fixed the car. It would be fair to ask if that info will end up on a CarFax. If it is then I would absolutely ask the dealer to reimburse me for the devaluation of the car that the accident caused. Their insurance company will be famliar with that. It's called a dimished value claim.

A lawyer isn't going to do anything but cost him money at this point. As for the tranny issue, if the car is under warranty get teh right info about the lemon law for the state you are in.

For Rocky it's MN
http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/MN_LemonGuide.html

Geebus you kids these days have the internet and all the resources at your fingertips these days. Please try to use them

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.09

He can call the police and have them come take a report but it will be a waste of time. Instead, use that effort and time to work with the dealers insurance.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Kona5.0

I have a 2011 5.0 with manual, and superchaged. And have zero issues, my car now has 14,500 miles I drive it daily. I did upgrade the fluid to royal purple, this was recommended by the dealer.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 PM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
A little bit of research goes a long way from wasting time and money on something as worthless as a lawyer at this point.

An accident on private property does not have to be reported in most states unless there is an injury. Not to mention that the other states probably wouldn't respond unless someone was hurt they (the police) due to budget cuts and having their resources stretched thin. Look up Accident reporting requirement for "your state here"

The dealer disclosed the accident and fixed the car. It would be fair to ask if that info will end up on a CarFax. If it is then I would absolutely ask the dealer to reimburse me for the devaluation of the car that the accident caused. Their insurance company will be famliar with that. It's called a dimished value claim.

A lawyer isn't going to do anything but cost him money at this point. As for the tranny issue, if the car is under warranty get teh right info about the lemon law for the state you are in.

For Rocky it's MN
http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/MN_LemonGuide.html

Geebus you kids these days have the internet and all the resources at your fingertips these days. Please try to use them

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169.09

He can call the police and have them come take a report but it will be a waste of time. Instead, use that effort and time to work with the dealers insurance.
I re-read the post and must not have realized the car was damaged on the parking lot the first time I read it. That sucks. I thought by readin some other comments and how long it was in the shop the car was actually wrecked.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 AM
r0cky00

Originally Posted by wproctor411
I re-read the post and must not have realized the car was damaged on the parking lot the first time I read it. That sucks. I thought by readin some other comments and how long it was in the shop the car was actually wrecked.
Transmission actually works ok now for reverse for the first time but only time will tell if it is consistant or not.

Yeah, got the car back yesterday and thought all was perfect but looks like the right side of the repainted bumper is slightly ligher than the left... and the left is a perfect paint match. Sad... I'm going to take it back in for another redo... if it's not perfect, it will go back again until it is factory looking. Hoping the dealer doesn't give me any guff.. as for the repair, I asked about it showing on report/carfax and they said no because it was done at a dealer and it isn't a "major" acccident. Minor bumps and scratches they can cover up w/ out reporting it seems but door crunched in wouldn't. I'll be running a report in a few months to be sure though. Not taking their word on it. So... back to the shop next week. I need it for this weekend! New exhaust goes on.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:15 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

My 2011 started generating a whine @ around 700 miles, and it got progressively louder. The tranny worked great, but the noise was a worry. The service manager noted it when I picked up my car after a long-block replacement due to the cylinder #8 issue, and said I need to get it checked out. 30 shop days later, it finally seems to be fixed. They replaced the input & output shafts, all bearings and numerous other internal parts. These replacements were done individually, with the tranny put back in the car and a test drive determining if the replacement part did the trick. 3 R&R's later, the noise is gone. The new pieces all have a new low-friction coating that did not exist on the original OEM parts. After getting the car back, I took it on an 800 mile trip. Half way home, I lost all but 4th and 6th. I limped back to the dealer, and they replaced the slave cylinder for a 4th tranny R&R.

Wow. between the cylinder 8 issue and the tranny issue, I have been without my ride for 60 out of the last 90 days. All seems fixed for now.

Ooohhh -- one other item, the dealer copped to placing a gouge on the right rear quarter, and kept the car an additional day to re-shoot it. This ride may be cursed.

I can't complain about my dealer; they really stepped up on the blown motor. This will, however, be the last time I EVER buy a year-1 car.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AKElroy
My 2011 started generating a whine @ around 700 miles, and it got progressively louder. The tranny worked great, but the noise was a worry. The service manager noted it when I picked up my car after a long-block replacement due to the cylinder #8 issue, and said I need to get it checked out. 30 shop days later, it finally seems to be fixed. They replaced the input & output shafts, all bearings and numerous other internal parts. These replacements were done individually, with the tranny put back in the car and a test drive determining if the replacement part did the trick. 3 R&R's later, the noise is gone. The new pieces all have a new low-friction coating that did not exist on the original OEM parts. After getting the car back, I took it on an 800 mile trip. Half way home, I lost all but 4th and 6th. I limped back to the dealer, and they replaced the slave cylinder for a 4th tranny R&R.

Wow. between the cylinder 8 issue and the tranny issue, I have been without my ride for 60 out of the last 90 days. All seems fixed for now.

Ooohhh -- one other item, the dealer copped to placing a gouge on the right rear quarter, and kept the car an additional day to re-shoot it. This ride may be cursed.

I can't complain about my dealer; they really stepped up on the blown motor. This will, however, be the last time I EVER buy a year-1 car.
Was your car tuned before the cylinder 8 went out? IF so, im surprised they even replaced the engine for you. I wouldnt blame the manufacturer on that part of it, not sure what is up with your transmissions though. I have a 2011 with 20k miles on it and no issues.

What were you doing when the transmission went out on the trip? just cruising at a steady mph?

Last edited by Andy13186; 06-02-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:46 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Was your car tuned before the cylinder 8 went out? IF so, im surprised they even replaced the engine for you. I wouldnt blame the manufacturer on that part of it, not sure what is up with your transmissions though. I have a 2011 with 20k miles on it and no issues.

What were you doing when the transmission went out on the trip? just cruising at a steady mph?
The car was OEM when I took it in. I will not put my dealer in a bad spot by commenting further on how this came together, all I will say is that I was completely upfront and they took very good care of me throughout the entire ordeal. They have a customer for life.

As for the tranny, It was all highway. Did not discover that I had no reverse until we arrived at our destination and I attempted to park. My tech may have damaged the slave cylinder when reinstalling the tranny. Again, he did a stellar job on the motor, even taking cell picks of the head leak-down test just to give me reassurance that it would be good to go. I cannot fault them for the tranny in light of the other great work.

The only folks to blame in all of this are Ford for releasing a new model without a proper beta test. The 11's simply were not ready for prime time, folks. I have not tracked this car, it has never been speed-shifted, and I have never overreved it. Without going too far with this, a dealer that steps up to the plate & does the right thing should be praised. A good dealer would be of the opinion that Ford should not release a car that can't handle a 50HP tune, particularly when it is the most frequently modded car on the planet, and is marketed aggressively as such.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 PM
knightryder
1st Gear Member

I'll have to disagree with the above statement about the 11's not being ready. When push comes to shove you'll find that the vast majority of 11 owners reporting no problems far outnumber the ones that did. Now I realize this is of little consolation to the owners that have experienced issues, however these issues are not unique to Ford. If you peruse other forums dedicated to the likes of Challengers and Camaros you will find the same issues plaguing a certain percentage of their owners as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: does anyone NOT have tranny problems 6MT