Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Hello all new hear have a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 PM
spdkills83

Default Hello all new hear have a few ?'s

Hello everyone, I will be in the market for a new ride in a few months and I have a few ?'s regarding (2) Mustangs.

I have narrowed down between a Boss and a GT with the track package.

I am just wondering how far off performance wise is the GT w/track pacakge vs the Boss? I know the new GT's have 420hp now so it kind of narrows the gap a touch and you can get the GT for a bit cheaper as well easier to deal on.

I understand the Boss handles quite a bit better due to it's adjustable suspension and such is it possible to lower the ride height of the Boss with springs or would that mess up the whole package? I like the lowered (not slammed) look on the mustangs that is why I ask.

Also just how bad are the stereos in the Boss? I have read they are pretty horrible. A aftermarket headunit should cure that issue I would think.

I love the Boss for what it is and I like the GT for what it is as well I just don't want to get a GT and think that I may missed out on one of greatest vehicles that has ever been built.

Either way I plan to keep either one of these vehicles all motor and also do some mods to them as well.

So thanks for looking and I hope to be around for a while
Old 04-08-2012, 01:45 PM
spdkills83

Also in my title it should be (here) not hear I guess I messed up on that one.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

It depends on your goals and plans for the car. The boss is a great turn key track car for the price, they get compared to 65-100k sports cars. The GT being cheaper doesn't have the forged pistons like the boss, you have more options available. If you want a fast stock car and no mods then a boss or shelby would be best if you can afford them. The boss being better suited for a road course and a shelby for a drag strip.

If you are looking for the cheapest way to get 600-650whp out of a new car to drag race with then the GT would be best. If you want more than the the shelby. I'm sure the boss can hold a bit more than the GT as well.

Since you are planning on staying N/A though you'll be somewhat limited. I think full bolt ons you'll hit around 430-440whp on the GT, and I dont know about the boss, they do have slightly different heads and cams I believe and I'm not sure how the aftermarket is with them. I wouldn't expect you could squeeze much more out of them over the GT.

There are only a couple of places that have aftermarket heads/cams for the GT, and they are posting around 500whp.

also, just looked it up, Boss mustangs seem to put down the same whp numbers as a GT once you mod them up with exhaust/cai. and a GT with boss intake manifold. so if you are planning on modding you could save yourself some cash and just get the GT. You only need to do suspension on it if you are going to take it to a road course. at the 1/4 mile drag strip the stock suspension is good for n/a power levels. you might be able to squeek a couple more tenths in if you do full suspension, and you might need LCAs to combat wheel hop.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

You might want to consider other factors besides all out performance and such. For instance you cannot get the creature comforts in the Boss that you can in a Premium GT. Also if you spring for a Boss you may or always will have reservations about modifying what is classified as a collectors car. If you don't then power to you, the boss engine package will hold up better to track conditions if that is your plan.

Mishri has already explained the different paths you could choose. Figure out what you want the car for and then refer back to the post above.

As to the springs, steeda has a kit out for the boss to lower the back end and keep the front at nearly the same height. Talk to some vendors (Sam Strano appears to be one of the most popular) prior to spending money for the suspension mods.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:01 PM
spdkills83

Thank you very much for the information it is greatly appreciated.

So basically you can build a Boss somewhat out of the GT from what I am gathering and it will be just as fast as the Boss just possibly not as reliable due to the internals and such but those to could be changed if one started to get crazy with the mods.

Decisions suck I will keep looking and thinking and hopefully I can come to a cocnlusion before to long.

Thanks again.