Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion > 5.0L V8 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
AMustangHopeful

Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang
Default Question about new car break-in

So after I get my 5.0 this summer, I intend to take a trip down to Columbus, a favorite drive of mine and my friends, it's about ~130 some miles from where I live, ~260 total.

My question is this: Is this inadvisable? I've seen VERY mixed ideas in the break-in thread here. I doubt this is going to be a cheap drive, meaning I'm certainly planning on having a little fun on the highway, safely anyway. Suffice to say that I won't be keeping the same speed/revs for most of the trip.

Thoughts?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
AMustangHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to Napoleon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMustangHopeful View Post
So after I get my 5.0 this summer, I intend to take a trip down to Columbus, a favorite drive of mine and my friends, it's about ~130 some miles from where I live, ~260 total.

My question is this: Is this inadvisable? I've seen VERY mixed ideas in the break-in thread here. I doubt this is going to be a cheap drive, meaning I'm certainly planning on having a little fun on the highway, safely anyway. Suffice to say that I won't be keeping the same speed/revs for most of the trip.

Thoughts?
I believe that Ford's stance on this is that it's broken in from the factory. I usually go with the conventional wisdom of not holding the revs constant (aka not using cruise control) for the first 600 miles or so. I also break my cars in hard, but I stay off the redline for the first few hundred miles.

PS - Where in OH are you from? I'm south of Dayton.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Manual
Exhaust Vids|The Red Mustang Blog
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Hysteric
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Roush Stage 2

I've also heard that the engines are broken in during manufacturing. I guess the rule of thumb is to just not beat on it until you do your first oil change at 1000-1500mi. I have a cousin that said a while back that as long as you put a little bit of load to seat the rings you should be good to go.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
AMustangHopeful

I'm a few minutes north of Akron. So, I'm no maniac on the road, wouldn't want to redline my car, but would love to fly fast on 5 0 free stretches, slow it down, and repeat. That being said, good to hear they're pre broken in. Thnx for the info
Old 04-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
AMustangHopeful

Though, my single speeding ticket, was from a plane ir heli tracking me x.x, so cop free road doesn't mean a whole lot x)
Old 04-09-2012, 05:27 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2012, 2013, 50, break, breakin, breaking, broken, car, engine, ford, gt, in, mustang, period, vehicle