Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What else do I need for headers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:04 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Default What else do I need for headers?

Now that I've closed on my house I've started ordering parts for my car. So far I've got the O/R X-pipe coming and will get the headers in a couple weeks. Do I need anything else like O2 extensions etc.? I know I need a tuner to load the tune on once the headers are installed. I'm also not interested in a CAI at this point as I've found no definitive proof they add anything.

I'm also guessing I have to leave the x pipe off until the headers are installed right?

Last edited by UofHmustang; 09-29-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:37 AM
kingGingy5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UofHmustang
Now that I've closed on my house I've started ordering parts for my car. So far I've got the O/R X-pipe coming and will get the headers in a couple weeks. Do I need anything else like O2 extensions etc.? I know I need a tuner to load the tune on once the headers are installed. I'm also not interested in a CAI at this point as I've found no definitive proof they add anything.

I'm also guessing I have to leave the x pipe off until the headers are installed right?
Depends what brand they are....the extensions should be included...the x pipe is most likely a shorty made for use with the long tubes only
Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Whatever x-pipe you purchased most likely won't work with the headers you're going to buy. You must use the the same two pieces from the same manufacturer unless you plan on cutting it up.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

BBK LT's.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

What kind of x-pipe did you get? Kind of weird to order that before headers, unless you're planning on ordering direct replacement shorties?.. Usually when you order LTs you order the mid pipe with them as a package.. Not all mid pipes and LTs work together is why I'm saying..
Old 09-29-2012, 03:19 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

BBK x pipe for their LT headers.

I didn't get the headers first or at the same time because I need to buy some more stuff for the house and finish landscaping the backyard. I couldn't quite swing the $500 for the ceramic coated ones this week so I spent $250. On Amazon you can't buy them as a set.

The reason I asked is because I was looking at the install pics and the stock h-pipe looked to meet the rest of the exhaust where the BBK one would on the LT's

Last edited by UofHmustang; 09-29-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:32 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

You picked up a set of BBK LTs for 250? That's a damn good deal! More than half off retail and even cheaper than the shorties.. If you have get the matching X you should be good to go. Might need a set of O2 extenders but I doubt it (don't know how long the ones are on the 5.0s).. A tune is recommended as well. The LTs and X-pipe will meet with the stock cat-back just fine..

Keep in mind that LT install on an S197 is a major pain in the a$$ and if you don't have a lift you are going to have a very very hard time.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:20 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

The x-pipe was $250. The ceramic LT's are $500.

I'm not doing it myself. I did LT's on my old Formula and it was a bear even though I had a lift. I'll be taking the car somewhere because I couldn't imagine doing it on jackstands. It's crazy how expensive headers are for this car. Everyone besides BBK wants at least $1,200 for a set and x pipe.

Last edited by UofHmustang; 09-29-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:30 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Yeah it's pretty crazy.. The BBKs aren't bad honestly, that's what I bought.. Not the best quality but they do their job.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:06 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I think i'm going to go with dynotech LT's and xpipe, plus their o/r xpipe will allow me to keep my side exhaust.

Quick Reply: What else do I need for headers?