Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

lowering spring differences

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 PM
itsmymilkyway
1st Gear Member

Default lowering spring differences

I'm looking for lowering springs but besides the amount of drop, is there a legitimate difference in ride? is there a soft-to-hard chart of the different brands? anything softer than stock? had to find by searching...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Spring rates determine the type of ride, the higher the rate the harder the ride but also the flatter the cornering. Springs are the strength of the system, and struts and shocks the ride control of the system. stiffer springs help you launch quicker do to less weight transfer end to end. and the same is true for for braking, stopping power is increased for the same reason. A good set of koni adjustable shocks improves the ride quality of a stiffer spring. You don't want a spring softer then what the car comes with from the factory. The factory suspension is adequate, but a set of aftermarket springs shocks and struts with sway bars really changes the car for the better.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by itsmymilkyway
I'm looking for lowering springs but besides the amount of drop, is there a legitimate difference in ride? is there a soft-to-hard chart of the different brands? anything softer than stock? had to find by searching...
Absolutely. What is it that you do with the car? Is this a daily driver or weekend car? Do you track it? What is it that the car doesn't do that you want it to do?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 PM
itsmymilkyway
1st Gear Member

DD only... i just want a lower stance and hit the curves a little tighter. i feel a bit of roll compared to my genesis coupe... mainly just a lower rid though.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

DD only... i just want a lower stance and hit the curves a little tighter. i feel a bit of roll compared to my genesis coupe... mainly just a lower rid though.
Look at the FRPP springs.
They offer several sets with varying drops & spring rates.
You can do a little study and decide exactly what you want.

I used the FRPP "B" springs because I wanted 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 drop and a softer spring (just a little stiffer than stock).
Then I do the dampening with the Koni Yellow adjustable shocks & struts.

Plus, since they are mass produced, the FRPP springs are less money than most competitors.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 PM
itsmymilkyway
1st Gear Member

thats what i was thinking of going with bc they are the cheapest
Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

thats what i was thinking of going with bc they are the cheapest
Cheapest isnt always the best way to go! "you get what you pay for" may apply here!

I have the Eibach Pro springs on mine, and I personally think it is the perfect drop for my needs. Any lower and I would be scraping everthing. Handles like its on rails.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
Cheapest isnt always the best way to go! "you get what you pay for" may apply here!

I have the Eibach Pro springs on mine, and I personally think it is the perfect drop for my needs. Any lower and I would be scraping everthing. Handles like its on rails.
The FRPP springs are not cheaper because they are a cheap product. They are mass produced on specialized machinery that is dead-nuts repeatable. The materials and parts are made here.

The foreign made springs have a lot of transportation costs added in and a lot of taxes & import/export duties too.

My point here is that you get better parts, much better materials and more bang for the buck by buying USA made parts.
You are getting no benefit by paying more for imported parts.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I'm running these UPR Pro Series springs on my car. They're made for us by Eibach, and they are made to the same specs as Eibach's Pro Kit springs. They drop the car around 1.5", which makes it handle MUCH better, but they are progressive rate springs so they have a pretty good ride quality. I highly recommend them.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-05.html

When you lower your car, you'll need an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear end. But they're inexpensive and easy to install.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...rd-bar-05.html
Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 AM
itsmymilkyway
1st Gear Member

thanks... good information from everyone and i will look into those UPR products. first time hearing of them

Quick Reply: lowering spring differences