Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Wisconsin tick

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM
vcode455

Default Wisconsin tick

Not the little bugger that bites.... I've got the tick on my 2013 GT at 1500 miles. I've read hundreds of posts and understand the idler pulley fix, but I think I have the ignitor tick. It seems the magic potion XL-17 can fix that problem. My question is, what is the underlying cause of the tick? I have not been able to figure out what the real cause is (unless I missed something in a post). Does anyone know? I'm sure Ford isn't saying because of the potential huge repair costs. Is it a valvetrain thing, a cam phaser thing, bearing, timing chain? Huge apologies if this has been addressed, but I haven't seen a reason, just the magic solution.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

Well my "tick" sounds like it's in the bottom of the engine. It only does it when I give it a little gas. You can hear it bad against buildings and places that echo. Car has 18k miles and have changed the oil every 5k with mobile 1 5w20 and a motorcraft filter. The noise gets worse after every oil change. I don't feel like dealing with the dealer, so I'm taking it to CarMax. Nobody has said what the cause is. Some people have had there engine replaced but they don't know what the cause is? My control arms also had to have the tsb at 6k and now at 18k they creak again. WTF? Had my 4.6 for 5 years and 80k miles and never had an issue.

Last edited by prochargedGT; 07-30-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

My dealer told me it was the injectors. I'm not sold on that idea, but I don't really know what else to do but get a second opinion. There's another dealership closer to me, so I may give them a try.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM
vcode455

Well I don't know how the XL-17 oil additive would fix an injector problem. I can hear the injectors and the valvetrain on mine, but this is different. It's like the ball bearings that hang on string that you clack together. It has to be something internal. I just can't believe Ford doesn't have an answer for this problem that has been occuring since the 5.0 came out several years ago.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:49 AM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Took mine in, dealership couldn't find where the noise was coming from. Ford hotline told them to put the car back together and for me to drive it for now while they investigate into it. They better find something, very annoying having a new car that makes noise but good thing mine isn't even noticeable but I can hear it when I pay good attention and I don't like it seeing that it's a new car.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:41 AM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

The injectors are noisy but it doesn't sound like bearings that arent getting oil to them. Doesn't suprise me that the dealer said they would investagate. They know what the problem is or they wouldn't be putting an additive in the oil.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 AM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

Yup and mine only has 4k miles, started on the first oil change that I did which was at 2,500..
Old 07-31-2013, 12:16 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

That's whst it does majes me think they put the additive in there from the start
Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 AM
TRMach1
2nd Gear Member

That's exactly what I think, personally I think they did it as soon as the motor was assembled knowing the problem that's why after every change it does it once again. I'm sure they knew what was going on with these cars with so many of them having this problem. On my paper work that they gave me back with everything they did to my car it doesn't state that they added anything to it such as an additive, they did change the oil themselves to see if it would go away but it didn't. I did see that it said something about after the second time of shutting off the cylinders the tick did go away, first try it was still there.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 AM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

30+k for a car that has as many problems as hyundai did when they first came out lol. I think ill sell mine and save up for a couple years til I can afford the gt500.

Quick Reply: Wisconsin tick