Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Auto or manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM
tenfifteen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Doesn't the 13 have a paddle shifter on the auto? Seems like best of both worlds. Get a '13
No, it doesn't. It has the same goofy sort of rocker switch on the gear selector that the Focus has in its DCT. Difference being that the Focus is an actual DCT, while the Mustang's trans is a true automatic with wet clutch, etc.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

Even still, paddle shifters or the goofy rocker switch will NEVER compare to having to mash the clutch and rip the gear shifter into whatever gear you're going to. My opinion... a sports car isn't a sports car if it shifts on its own. I've missed gears flying down the track and it sucks... but I'd rather miss gears than to let my car do what I should be doing. There's very little skill in driving an automatic car down a drag strip... unless you're running something that has a wheelie bar and a parachute behind it... get the 6 speed, and get 3.73 gears you'll love it!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CrzyHrs
Even still, paddle shifters or the goofy rocker switch will NEVER compare to having to mash the clutch and rip the gear shifter into whatever gear you're going to. My opinion... a sports car isn't a sports car if it shifts on its own. I've missed gears flying down the track and it sucks... but I'd rather miss gears than to let my car do what I should be doing. There's very little skill in driving an automatic car down a drag strip... unless you're running something that has a wheelie bar and a parachute behind it... get the 6 speed, and get 3.73 gears you'll love it!
+10!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

I agree that a manual is more fun. But I just bought a 2013 GT/CS Deep Impact Blue and it is an auto. I will however NOT agree that it is any less a sport car or muslce car. Not everyone is up to shifting, knees working, or for that matter, want that much work. Yet I still feel it is a muscle car, 420 hp is 420 hp , auto or manual. It is quick, corners just as good, and gets all the looks for others.

My Stang is a daily driver and I enjoy the hell out of it.
I say if your not sure which you would like, drive both and understand that is how it is going to be for the next few years.

JUST Get a Mustang, V8/V6, manul/auto,,,,you will enjoy it tremendously.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangergt
I agree that a manual is more fun. But I just bought a 2013 GT/CS Deep Impact Blue and it is an auto. I will however NOT agree that it is any less a sport car or muslce car. Not everyone is up to shifting, knees working, or for that matter, want that much work. Yet I still feel it is a muscle car, 420 hp is 420 hp , auto or manual. It is quick, corners just as good, and gets all the looks for others.

My Stang is a daily driver and I enjoy the hell out of it.
I say if your not sure which you would like, drive both and understand that is how it is going to be for the next few years.

JUST Get a Mustang, V8/V6, manul/auto,,,,you will enjoy it tremendously.
Do you like the manual shift feature?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slowbra302
I would have agree with above. Manual puts the driver in full control. The con with you being in a high traffic area (I am from Houston I understand it) is going to be the wear on the clutch. I learned pretty quickly that you either have it pushed in or popped out, none of this in-between garbage. Oh a side bonus pro = Strong left leg =)

Just my .02
I would normally agree with this sentiment, but this damned 1-4 Skip shift in my 2012 is a real PITA... I wish it were disabled when you disabled the Advancetrac.

Don
Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

auto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yxek...eature=g-all-u

Last edited by onederful100; 05-15-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

it would be a complete waste of money to go from an automatic to a manual. one reason is onederful's post. The autos in these cars are STRONG, holding 1000whp for pass after pass, tons are in the 9s, and atleast that one made 8s. it's a $1200 option so you already paid quite a bit for that. you'd be better off selling the car and buying a manual.

for traffic and ease of driving automatic is the way to go, also nearly every fast car at my track is an automatic. Today manuals are for people who think they have something to prove. automatics and especially paddle shifting or the manual autos are the way to go. just look at the GTR. it is a completely different transmission but it's the future, and it's no coincidence that all the fastest modded 5.0s i've seen in the 1/4 mod for mod are autos.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

The only reason autos are faster is because a computer can shift the car faster than a human. And 420HP is NO where close to what you're getting in an automatic. You'd be lucky to see 350-360 RWHP coming out of a stock automatic GT. I think I've seen dyno pulls of a manual GT pulling around 380 RWHP stock.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

my 07 is manual, but i occasionally drive my dads 08 auto GT.
so i have driven both quite often. they are 4.6 and not 5.0, but close enough for this comparison.

i like the manual bc i have control of it in different circumstances.
but my dads auto with the performance or race tune, or even the street tune, the shifts are more firm and it now chirps 3rd gear, it didn't do that before.
the low end torque is way better, and the throttle lag is just about gone.
in your sig i didn't notice a tune.
for the auto, the tune makes a huge difference in how it responds with the throttle and how it shifts.
before the tune, my dads GT felt sluggish. with the tune, its fun to drive.

before you go swapping trannys, get a CAI and a tune and see how that is first.

Quick Reply: Auto or manual