Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New with a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Default New with a few Q's

Well I haven't been on a forum in ages and I will try not to drag this out too long. I am currently deployed and ordered myself a new 2013 GT as my 1995 Cobra was totaled 2 weeks before we left (Yea i know and with only 76K original engine mileage, no leaks =) ). Anyways i have been reading this forum for the past few days and decided this is were i will plant my butt for information.

Situation is i am getting a brand new car and i have never owned one so am pretty nervous lol. I have picked out some parts and haven't really decided if i would like to get the CAI and tune right off the bat or not. Either way i am getting exhaust period.

1. Is the stock piping only 2 3/4inch and if so would it it worth moving up to 3inch for the "throatiness" and to delete the resonators?

2. I have read alot about mids and never having owned an H pipe would it sacrifice noise or just get rid of the load raspy metallic sound?

3. Will SLP LM be too much with 3 inch all the way back with factory cats and header on?

I know videos dont do any justice (i cant view them out here anyways). My Cobra had FRPP Shorty headers BBK catted mid and borla catback and it wasnt load enough lol. I know alot is personal preference but i love drone and just want this thing to sound mean.

PS. I know you guys would love to know what i bought so here we go:
2013 Mustang GT Premium, Manual, Black, Charcoal black interior, GT Track Pack, Glass Roof, Pedestal Spoilor, 3.73 (had 4.10's in cobra no good with 5 speed lol)

Sorry for this being so long just want to start and try to integrate into the community. Thank you for you time!
Old 05-13-2012, 05:42 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Welcome aboard, and thank you for your service!

Hopefully you won't be overseas too long and can come home and enjoy your new Pony!!

I just put the Pypes Super System on my 2012 (3" from h-pipe back). it definitely opened up the airflow and it sounds amazing!

You are right that the video clips don't do any justice. the factory H-pipe is a bit restrictive, so if you want the best flow possible, get an x-pipe that matches up with the exhaust system. (plenty out there that replace the x-pipe w/o touching the cats).
There are also a few spots in the OEM pipes that are flattened, thus restricting airflow a little bit more.
Best suggestion is, at the least, from the h-pipe back get a 3" system
mid-muffler/resonators/muffler deletes will more likely have more drone, whereas muffler systems like Corsa/Borla will have no drone and improved sound
Old 05-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! And no need to thank me lol, we do what we love most!

Will be home here in a couple of months then the painful week or so of waiting to fly to my home of record to pick up the car! (I refuse to have Cali plates, no matter how much i got pulled over in my Cobra with Texas ones lol!

I have heard pypes and it is honestly on my list. Here i will list what i am thinking.

1. Hearthrob 3 inch H straightpipe to SLP loudmouth
2. Heartthrob 3 inch H straightpipe to Borla ATAK (huge borla fan it was on my Cobra (not huge on price for just some mufflers lol)
3. Heartthrob 3 inch H straightpipe to Pypes
4. Pypes X midpipe (custom 3inch OTA piping to all of the above)
5. Pypes Super system

I am really nervous about the heart throb as i have heard mixed things as in it is each really really good or really really bad. I like how the Pypes AB sound on the stock system just wish the decibels were higher, do you think straight piping would make that louder or just more distorted?

Thanks for all the information learning is occurring and i appreciate it!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Oh crap forgot to add, is there anywhere to find a 2013 owner's manual online yet (doubt it), i would prefer to start reading now instead of when i get the car on leave. I am aware of alot of the features but would like to get the head start. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:45 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

2012 online http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=500 sorry no '13 yet.

Try reading through the service manual stuff too, pretty interesting some of the steps you have to do to install parts.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

So i have to donate? Or is there a way around it? Thank for the information =)
Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

No just keep clicking on the links to thell left. Its broken down into tiny subgroups of pdfs so sometimes you have to go a few levels deep before anything shows up and the donate screen goes away.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 AM
fordplay
1st Gear Member

First, thank you for your service, next exhaust ... svt performance did an awesome exhaust write up on the 2011 and 12, i imagine the 13 is The same, the resonators have small flat spots to defeat a harmonic resonance, which is fancy talk for drone, if you open the exhaust up too much you will get a drone, that being said yoy will get more drone with an H pipe vs the rasp from an X pipe, i honestly went with a custom axle back using flowmasters super 44 series, everyone loves the sound and i saved money, as for the aftermarket parts, id wait a few hundred miles in case their are any warranty issues being a new car and all
Old 05-14-2012, 10:51 AM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

I have the SLP LM and I LOVED them when I had my cats and stock headers. I recently put a set of Kooks long tubes and a Kooks off road x-pipe (no cats) and its stupid loud. It sounds amazing going down the track and it's not so bad running 75MPH down the road. However, I have a few rattles that get VERY annoying and I haven't fixed them yet... If you're just wanting a muffler delete, go to your closest exhaust shop and have them custom build you a catback system and just buy the tips (wish I would have done that) instead of spending the $400+ on a 3 inch pipe that's all of 4 feet long.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
No just keep clicking on the links to thell left. Its broken down into tiny subgroups of pdfs so sometimes you have to go a few levels deep before anything shows up and the donate screen goes away.
Perfect I will start looking into this now. Really appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by fordplay
First, thank you for your service, next exhaust ... svt performance did an awesome exhaust write up on the 2011 and 12, i imagine the 13 is The same, the resonators have small flat spots to defeat a harmonic resonance, which is fancy talk for drone, if you open the exhaust up too much you will get a drone, that being said yoy will get more drone with an H pipe vs the rasp from an X pipe, i honestly went with a custom axle back using flowmasters super 44 series, everyone loves the sound and i saved money, as for the aftermarket parts, id wait a few hundred miles in case their are any warranty issues being a new car and all
Wow, i bet that sounds gnarly lol. So you think it will be miserable with straights all the way back? So i should look at something like borla atak with the heart throb? That way i get rid of the mid resonators and widen the pipe up some? I know majority this is personal preference, but i like hearing what people are currently running and try to piece this together prior to getting home lol. The goal is exhaust first waiting on my doorstep lol. Thanks