Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tuner Swap, and Long Distance on a New Mustang

Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Default Tuner Swap, and Long Distance on a New Mustang

Hey everyone, I'm trading in my 2012 V6 Mustang for a 2012 5.0L V8 Mustang. I'm pretty stoked to do this, especially because I feel like I'm getting an incredible price.

My big questions are these though:

1) I always heard that driving a long distance at a constant speed (highway driving) is a bad idea in a new vehicle. Is this still true, even with current engine making technology? I'm driving the vehicle 8 hours from the dealer to home. Do I need to vary my speed on the highway to keep things together properly?

2) I have a tuner that I use on my V6. To unmarry this thing, all I need to do is plug it in to the V6 and revert it to stock and it's unmarried correct? Also, once it's reverted to stock, there's no way to tell the V6 was ever tuned right?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:33 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

yes just use the return to stock on the tuner and it will unmarry the device from the car and can use on your new car. I am not sure if they can see if its ever been tuned but if there is nothing wrong with the car and your trading it in anyway what would it matter to you?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 AM
sofaking5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Bad news

They can tell if its been flashed if they look at the ECM. It keeps account of the number of times its been flashed and that can not be tampered with.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:13 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

yeah.. there's no problem with the car at all... car's actually fantastic. i always think it gets better every day i drive it (i'm still under 10k miles), and i think that's just the car continually breaking in. regardless, i was curious to know. i mean, i feel like im obligated to tell the dealer that the powertrain warranty is voided since it's been tuned. i'm sure that affects the price of the trade-in value. i'll cross that bridge when i come to it though.

i'm still researching whether or not its okay to drive long highway distances on a brand new vehicle though.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:35 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
yeah.. there's no problem with the car at all... car's actually fantastic. i always think it gets better every day i drive it (i'm still under 10k miles), and i think that's just the car continually breaking in. regardless, i was curious to know. i mean, i feel like im obligated to tell the dealer that the powertrain warranty is voided since it's been tuned. i'm sure that affects the price of the trade-in value. i'll cross that bridge when i come to it though.

i'm still researching whether or not its okay to drive long highway distances on a brand new vehicle though.
You are under no obligation to tell them that, especially since you are not the one to void the warranty, FoMoCo is. Since they have not done so, it is not voided, plain and simple. If the dealer, as part of the trade in inspection, determines that and decides to back out of the deal, that is on them. But regardless, I would not divulge what may not be true in the first place (that the warranty is void).

Regardless, good luck and post up pics.

Don
Old 05-14-2012, 05:06 PM
SirJAG

Originally Posted by sofaking5.0
They can tell if its been flashed if they look at the ECM. It keeps account of the number of times its been flashed and that can not be tampered with.
this is simply not the case. will discuss in pm if you care too. flash will throw a p1000 code, but there is no "counter" the next one in just replaces the last one.

Last edited by SirJAG; 05-14-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: *dont want to stir pot...
Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirJAG
this is simply not the case. will discuss in pm if you care too. flash will throw a p1000 code, but there is no "counter" the next one in just replaces the last one.
Yeah, I'd love a technical explanation via a PM. I had always been told to flash to stock, then disconnect the battery for 30 min and then reconnect and drive. But, I'm no expert so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:33 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre

Well why the hell wouldn't it be okay?
Originally Posted by SirJAG
Actually he is correct.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

I have read from numerous resources (from the interwebs so probably not accurate) that you shouldn't drive too long of distances. Something about taking frequent breaks and varying RPMs and seating rings and what not. Could you shed some more light on this please?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

To the ECM flashing, there is an engine start/stop counter that gets reset as one method to determine if it has been reflashed. Ford, not the dealer, can determine if the ECM has been flashed.

So far the research for breaking in the 5.0 engines shows to run them hard during the break in period for better results. I think AM has this documented (10-20 hp difference between a DD car and a "test" car after breaking in) Driving it long distance first off isn't going to hurt it (1-1000 miles). I doubt your speed will stay constant in any area other than Montana anyway. I also doubt you will go the speed limit on your maiden voyage either so it will take care of itself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuner Swap, and Long Distance on a New Mustang