Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Interesting tidbit about Ford Racing Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Default Interesting tidbit about Ford Racing Warranty

So I have the Power Pack coming in for my 2012 GT. Comes with the ProCal tuner, GT500 mufflers, and a K&N filter. I wanted to keep my warranty, and decided this was the best package for me as opposed to aftermarket tunes, etc.

If installed by a dealer at any time before the 3/36k warranty ends, the Ford Racing Warranty replaces the factory 3/36k. This was changed recently, but isn't new news.

What was new to me, directly from the Ford Racing rep, was that if the engine blows at say, year 3.5, the factory 5/60k drive train warranty won't cover it if they deem the failure was due to the Ford Racing parts/tune. Therefore, essentially that power pack will ultimately void your drive train warranty in a sense, if whatever goes wrong with the car between 36k-60k or year 3-5 is related to the Ford Racing upgrades.

Good to know I thought. I guess the takeaway here is, trade the car in at 3 years, lol.

Last edited by Mudflap; 06-20-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yep, you effectively get a 3 year 36k drive train warranty when you do that.

also that kit gives hardly any power at all. I would have left it stock over buying that kit.

I haven't heard any new reports about bolt-ons causing issues in about 8 or 9 months, so it could be all sorted out now. I'd get a Bama tune for their warranty still though.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 PM
terrellble
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up MudFlap
Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
I'd get a Bama tune for their warranty still though.
Except for the fact their warranty is for the #8 cylinder, nothing more.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

i've never seen anyone with a warranty denial for anything but that. You still have a full warranty even after modding your car, as long as the mod doesn't cause the issue it will be covered under warranty.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
yep, you effectively get a 3 year 36k drive train warranty when you do that.

also that kit gives hardly any power at all. I would have left it stock over buying that kit.

I haven't heard any new reports about bolt-ons causing issues in about 8 or 9 months, so it could be all sorted out now. I'd get a Bama tune for their warranty still though.
I disagree. I've read numerous reviews of the Ford reflash that were highly positive (I would say 95% positive). I've done my research. It focuses on torque under the engine peak, which is exactly what I'm looking for. They claim 60 ft-lb below peak at 1500rpm. Its a tire burner, basically. I drive on the street, not the track, that programming has it where it counts for my tastes.

Not willing to throw away the warranty for an extra few horsepower on a 3rd party tune risking #8 explosion for what would surely be a driver's race on the street between the two. Also, just because #8 is seemingly all that has blown on tunes, one would be remiss to assume our infinitesimal sampling of people on this forum reporting issues is some sort of general rule as compared to the thousands of Mustangs out there. I just read a thread last night where a seemingly stock motor had blown #3 or #4.

To each his own, raw #s don't always mean "better" for a variety of reasons and interests. The user should do his or her research before listening to blanket statements on these forums from me, or anyone.

If you have ANY modification on the car, Ford can, and sometimes will deny a warranty claim. Again, just because our tiny forum doesn't have reports of this, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I would advise no sense of false security, Ford has way more money than any of us does. The burden will be on you to counter-prove your point if they do deny a warranty claim, costing you much $$$ in the process. Going with the FRPP products is the best you can get in terms of a compromise of keeping some warranty and "playing" a bit as well. Anything else leaves with you a possible $10,000 repair bill at any moment. As long as the user is comfortable with that, then so be it. I've had multiple cars with 10k-20k in modifications on them, I know this all too well. I have played, and I have paid as well.

Last edited by Mudflap; 06-20-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I disagree. I've read numerous reviews of the Ford reflash that were highly positive (I would say 95% positive). I've done my research. It focuses on torque under the engine peak, which is exactly what I'm looking for. They claim 60 ft-lb below peak at 1500rpm. Its a tire burner, basically. I drive on the street, not the track, that programming has it where it counts for my tastes.

Not willing to throw away the warranty for an extra few horsepower on a 3rd party tune risking #8 explosion for what would surely be a driver's race on the street between the two. Also, just because #8 is seemingly all that has blown on tunes, one would be remiss to assume our infinitesimal sampling of people on this forum reporting issues is some sort of general rule as compared to the thousands of Mustangs out there. I just read a thread last night where a seemingly stock motor had blown #3 or #4.

To each his own, raw #s don't always mean "better" for a variety of reasons and interests. The user should do his or her research before listening to blanket statements on these forums from me, or anyone.

If you have ANY modification on the car, Ford can, and sometimes will deny a warranty claim. Again, just because our tiny forum doesn't have reports of this, doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I would advise no sense of false security, Ford has way more money than any of us does. The burden will be on you to counter-prove your point if they do deny a warranty claim, costing you much $$$ in the process. Going with the FRPP products is the best you can get in terms of a compromise of keeping some warranty and "playing" a bit as well. Anything else leaves with you a possible $10,000 repair bill at any moment. As long as the user is comfortable with that, then so be it. I've had multiple cars with 10k-20k in modifications on them, I know this all too well. I have played, and I have paid as well.
I agree. I did a lot of research also and my conclusion is the same as yours. There are so many choices out there but the bottom line is that Ford stands behind it's product when it come to warranty issues. Those small potato tuners are not going to back you up in warranty issues, only moral support at best. One has to make a prudent decision when warranty is involved here. Some of us are not boy racers who have the "just do it" mentality.

Let us know how your mod turns out.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Will do man, the parts will be here today. I'll fill out the ProCal request form hopefully this afternoon, and then schedule an install late next week. Will post up an honest review of everything as I'm not the type of person to just vote for stuff I have myself.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash gordon
I agree. I did a lot of research also and my conclusion is the same as yours. There are so many choices out there but the bottom line is that Ford stands behind it's product when it come to warranty issues. Those small potato tuners are not going to back you up in warranty issues, only moral support at best. One has to make a prudent decision when warranty is involved here. Some of us are not boy racers who have the "just do it" mentality.

Let us know how your mod turns out.
Then why does the warranty die after 36k?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Best I can gather is because its still modified beyond factory build specifications. The 3/36k is far more than you can get via any other avenue. AM will warranty 1 specific scenario with one specific cylinder is all. I'll keep the car 3 years, and be tired of it by then anyway, and get a new one when the warranty is out.

Quick Reply: Interesting tidbit about Ford Racing Warranty