Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Custom Catchcan Setup I made for my dads mustang

Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 PM
TurboFocus

Default Custom Catchcan Setup I made for my dads mustang

Hey guys, name is Jim I do a lot of fabrication (turbo kits, catch cans, exhaust, etc) I made my dad this Catch can setup for fathers day and thought i would post it up for you guys to see. Its all aluminum construction with a 2 stage baffling system inside of it so no oil will ever make its way out of the filter. I powder coated it matte black to keep it more stealth looking. It uses 2 -10an lines coming off of the factory valve cover fitting and goes straight to the Catch can. Meaning no more puddles of oil in the intake manifold and a 100% chance that no oil will ever enter the intake from it. The factory fitting on the intake manifold and the intake tube were blocked off.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:03 AM
terrellble
1st Gear Member

Wow! Looks great

Clean engine bay too
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 AM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

That's very nice and looks great but from what others have said you really need it on the other side. Most people who install a catch can on the driver side don't find any oil. Either way I would keep it because it's bad *** looking I used AN fittings and lines with my Moroso setup.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:54 AM
TurboFocus

Originally Posted by wproctor411
That's very nice and looks great but from what others have said you really need it on the other side. Most people who install a catch can on the driver side don't find any oil. Either way I would keep it because it's bad *** looking I used AN fittings and lines with my Moroso setup.
It is on both sides. its on the drivers and passenger side valve cover fitting. The passenger side crosses over to the drivers side under the engine cover.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:18 AM
TurboFocus

Here what i wrote to another member from another forum to help them understand how it works.

"Here i took some more pictures for you. Both lines do not run back into the factory intake, or intake manifold. They both run straight to the catch can, guarantee that no oil blow by will ever go back inside of the intake. It is not like any system on the market right now. This method has been used for decades, they don't use it now because of emission purposes. To keep the car emissions friendly the factory run the pcv breather lines back into the intake manifold, but this also allows the oil to enter the intake and intake manifold and puddle. The open holes where the factory lines use to go on the intake has been blocked off."

Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 AM
stang8psi
1st Gear Member

so you plugged the one that goes to the manifold? You should just reverse it to the other side. ZRun it from the passenger side and than catch it and return it to the port on the manifold behined the throttle body.. I believe that is the way it's designed to work keeping the vacuum and pressure the way it's supposed to go!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 PM
TurboFocus

Originally Posted by stang8psi
so you plugged the one that goes to the manifold? You should just reverse it to the other side. ZRun it from the passenger side and than catch it and return it to the port on the manifold behined the throttle body.. I believe that is the way it's designed to work keeping the vacuum and pressure the way it's supposed to go!
You wanna get away from that type of setup. Whenever you introducing vacuum pressure to the catch can it means oil will go back to the intake, which is what we want to avoid in the first place. No matter how good the baffling is in a vacuum setup it will not get all of the oil out like this will. And the only time the engine is in vacuum is at idle and light throttle, when your WOT where you will get the most pressure build up in the motor there is no vacuum so it doesn't help it. On this setup it uses the big lines and catch can to provide no pressure build up in the motor. and lets the air come out freely or under the engines pressure this is the reason why the PCV valve is called POSITIVE CRANKCASE PRESSURE. it will keep all of the oil out of the intake.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:09 PM
TurboFocus

Originally Posted by TurboFocus
You wanna get away from that type of setup. Whenever you introducing vacuum pressure to the catch can it means oil will go back to the intake, which is what we want to avoid in the first place. No matter how good the baffling is in a vacuum setup it will not get all of the oil out like this will. And the only time the engine is in vacuum is at idle and light throttle, when your WOT where you will get the most pressure build up in the motor there is no vacuum so it doesn't help it. On this setup it uses the big lines and catch can to provide no pressure build up in the motor. and lets the air come out freely or under the engines pressure this is the reason why the PCV valve is called POSITIVE CRANKCASE PRESSURE. it will keep all of the oil out of the intake.
edit: these setup are normally seen in racing style applications because they do the job the best and thats what they need. but it doesn't mean they don't work on a stock engine, they do very well. with no dis advantages
Old 06-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Nice setup! What did you use to secure the stock fittings to the hose as it makes for a very clean finish? It looks to be some type of shrink wrap.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:29 PM
TurboFocus

Originally Posted by Doogie65
Nice setup! What did you use to secure the stock fittings to the hose as it makes for a very clean finish? It looks to be some type of shrink wrap.
Thanks it is a type of heat shrink that is stronger and shrinks down much tighter then normal heat shrink.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Catchcan Setup I made for my dads mustang