Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Bought the Steeda Cold Air Kit and Tuner and have questions on the install.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Default Bought the Steeda Cold Air Kit and Tuner and have questions on the install.

Like the title says I bought the combo.

I know I posted about the need to have one or not but I like the way it looks under the hood even if it doesnt give me any gains.
Anyways, I assembled the unit as far as I can go without actually installing it on the car.
My question is this; Of those that have installed it, did you find it dificult to install the rubber seals? I put mine on the unit but it will not stay in place, it just comes apart at the ends. Did you use any kind of glue, rubber cement, anything to help it stick?
I want to do the install this weekend and if I need to buy some glue or rubber cement I want to give it time to seat.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:23 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tormentor
Like the title says I bought the combo.

I know I posted about the need to have one or not but I like the way it looks under the hood even if it doesnt give me any gains.
Anyways, I assembled the unit as far as I can go without actually installing it on the car.
My question is this; Of those that have installed it, did you find it dificult to install the rubber seals? I put mine on the unit but it will not stay in place, it just comes apart at the ends. Did you use any kind of glue, rubber cement, anything to help it stick?
I want to do the install this weekend and if I need to buy some glue or rubber cement I want to give it time to seat.

Thanks for the help.
You talking about on the heat shield?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
You talking about on the heat shield?
Sorry, yes i am
Old 06-26-2012, 03:51 PM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

I used a very small amount of JB weld on a cotton swab and put some inside the rubber gasket at the ends to train it and used a small plastic clamp to hold in place for a bit. It was maybe a ""drop"" size dab of JB on both ends. I didn't have trouble with the smaller piece but warmed it up in the sun light to soften it.

The Steeda Tune and CAI where a great choice and the difference is very substantial. You can't run the CAI without a tune it will lean out the engine.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wproctor411
I used a very small amount of JB weld on a cotton swab and put some inside the rubber gasket at the ends to train it and used a small plastic clamp to hold in place for a bit. It was maybe a ""drop"" size dab of JB on both ends. I didn't have trouble with the smaller piece but warmed it up in the sun light to soften it.

The Steeda Tune and CAI where a great choice and the difference is very substantial. You can't run the CAI without a tune it will lean out the engine.
Thanks for the tip, I will give that a try in the morning.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up, I have this kit arriving Friday, so I'll bust out the heat shield and do the rubber right away as I probably won't install until Saturday or Sunday.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 PM
NAVYMAN
1st Gear Member

I used a random brand of super glue from NAPA and have had no issues. I think you will be more than happy with the way it looks after it is installed. I went with a 91 tune and the steeda intake, the difference from stock to the tune and intake is more than enough to put a grin on your face.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Well I assembled the unit but have not installed it on the car yet, My car is an automatic and I have read some installs saying that the tubing included are not long enough. I person stated that he needed a 6" length of 5/8" tubing for the intake tube for the automatic kit. Is this true, did you have to go out and buy additional tubing to get the correct lengths needed?

Again this is going on an AUTOMATIC.

Thanks for the help
Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I am in the same boat as you too. My intake is here and I assembled it all, and will be installing it on the car tomorrow when steeda emails me my new tune. O and my car is also an auto so I will let you know if I have any issues installing
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

I just finished installing it. I did have to get a couple of things to make it fit correctly. First off when you install the unit do not try and put the completely assembled unit on at one time. Put the heat shield and filter unit on the car first then install the plastic pipe. It will not fit if you try to do it all at once.
When installing the heat shield you have to reuse the factory bolt that held the factory air box in place, you WILL need a larger washer. I also did need to use a longer rubber tube for the PCV valve line, I cut a 6" piece and it fit perfectly.
I hope this helps with your install.
Since I had 87 octane in the tank I went with the 87 tune for now.

Heres a picture after the install, enjoy
Attached Thumbnails Bought the Steeda Cold Air Kit and Tuner and have questions on the install.-img_0788.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bought the Steeda Cold Air Kit and Tuner and have questions on the install.