Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

X/H pipe questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

Default X/H pipe questions

If i where to buy an X or H pipe for my 2011 Mustang GT 5.0, which should i get?

Also are the Off road X/H pipes bolt on, as in no modifications are needed to the exhaust?

What are typical gains if any by using one or the other?

Any recomendations? The car has GT500 Axle backs, and i wouldnt mind a little more noise, but not needed. Performance is the main reason for looking at and X or H pipe.

Thanks

Burns
Old 07-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

You will want the off-road (no cats) mid-pipe, the other style wont get you much power. They do bolt directly on, unscrew the bolts from the engine bay and screw the new ones on, takes about an hour up to 2 hours, if you have much experience then maybe under an hour.

the off-road X and H pipes will get you about 15whp, although you might need a CAI to see 15.

The only difference from the 2 is sound. On 05-10 mustangs the H pipe sounded deeper and better, the X pipe sounded raspy, on the 11-13 mustangs the X pipe sounds better with the H being raspy.

Some brands of X pipe don't gain as much power as their H pipe, I believe that is due to poor design, too narrow (angled).

This is the X-pipe I have

I'll have to find the pic of the one that didn't get good gains, but the angle of the X is much narrower, it looked like a bad design compared to mine.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 PM
NAVYMAN
1st Gear Member

I bought the 3 piece x-pipe from JBA, comes with cat delete pipes or you can just bolt it up after the cats. I have muffler deletes and the x-pipe really makes the car sound great.

Mishri hit it on the head, so it really just comes down to how you want your car to sound.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

basically i want to keep the car decent sounding.. quite while driving, or cruising the highway. i dont mine loud while im in it or under acceleration.

So what pipe do i want.. And i i obviously need a tune to put one on since im getting rid fo the cats.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:09 AM
theczar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Burns331
basically i want to keep the car decent sounding.. quite while driving, or cruising the highway. i dont mine loud while im in it or under acceleration.
That's exactly how my Corsas sound. but, the cats are still there..damn e-check
Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

it'll be a bit louder both under acceleration and while cruising. I noticed the difference even with stock mufflers.

As far as which one should you get, the should all sound about the same, and as long as the design is good you'll get the same gains. I'm sure you can't go wrong with the bigger names like JBA, BBK or BBR.

Do you already have a tuner? You'll need a tune to rune the off-road pipes or you'll get a check engine light. Call your tuner to get his recommendation on mid-pipes, if you dont have one give Steeda or American Muscle a call, see about getting a cai/tuner/mid-pipe kit. Or call any of the forum sponsors, they are all good or they wouldn't be sponsors here

I just recently ordered a Steeda tune, I've heard good things about them and their quality on their products is top notch, so I'm sure if they take as much time with their tunes I'll be happy.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Will2Iam
1st Gear Member

This should be an interesting read about the x or h pipe. Its an old article but never the less it was proven back then.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html

I think the x pipe and h pipe changes the power band. (Despite what heartthrob is saying about their h pipe set up cause I got my opinion about them)(supported by experience) The x will produce a bit more hp but it will up top.
I guess the question would be more where do you want most of your hp/tq? Of course x or h pipe will also change the sound. h-pipe is raspier. x-pipe is smoother.

This is a stock h pipe with roush axlebacks

This is BBK x-pipe with roush axleback with 3000 and 5000 rev

These videos are with the cats. Personaly I do like the gains for the O/R but due to emission federall laws its a bit risky for me. Different strokes for folks.

I also hear that O/R x/h pipes will change the sound of your axlebacks.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Will2Iam
1st Gear Member

This is BBK x-pipe with roush axleback with 3000 and 5000 rev

...9vA&playnext=1

My bad. That was the wrong video. This is the right one.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:47 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Burns331
If i where to buy an X or H pipe for my 2011 Mustang GT 5.0, which should i get?

Also are the Off road X/H pipes bolt on, as in no modifications are needed to the exhaust?

What are typical gains if any by using one or the other?

Any recomendations? The car has GT500 Axle backs, and i wouldnt mind a little more noise, but not needed. Performance is the main reason for looking at and X or H pipe.

Thanks

Burns
Burns331,

Great choice, getting rid of those restrictive catalytic converters will free up a ton of power & sound on the 11+!

We are seeing average gains of 25+ RWHP with Catless midpipe & tune! Obviously you already understand that in order to not have the CEL light on you will need a tuner. I recommend going with the SCT SF3, It comes with 3 Custom Tunes & Free Custom Tunes For Life! So anytime you add a new modification later down the road, we can email you a revised file for no additional charge!

X-Pipe's are known to be much louder & raspy. H-Pipe's are designed to be a bit quieter but very deep! I think that you could drive your car daily with either of them & keep the exhaust tone down while cruising!

This is just a brief explanation of things & what we have to offer. If you would like to know more Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

- Dan
Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Stainless Works offers a 3" Off-Road X-Pipe (converter delete) Part No. M11ORX

and a 3" X-Pipe for use with Factory Converters, Part No. M11X

Quick Reply: X/H pipe questions