Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New to Forum & Mustang World

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 06:31 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slyter485
As I'm new to the 5.0 platform as well, can you elaborate? I can understand the benefits of an oil separator, or oil catch can on FI cars, but on an NA car? Do these motors draw quite a bit of oil through the PCV system?
Yes, these cars have blow by pretty bad, most cars have some, putting FI on a car just makes it worse and more noticeable.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:44 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingGingy5.0
I would keep saving and start out with the supercharger...you can run 7 PSI safely and keep it as a DD and see more gains then the current bolt ons. I have most of the bolt-ons you listed and if I could do it over I would of just saved and went with the supercharger. I would also suggest getting an oil seperator asap
Off topic, but king gray: Which springs did you use on your car in sig and did you powder coat the brembo wheels?
Old 07-15-2012, 09:37 AM
slyter485
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Yes, these cars have blow by pretty bad, most cars have some, putting FI on a car just makes it worse and more noticeable.
Interesting, I've noticed bad blow by on my turbo'd Speed6, didn't think about it for this motor. Guess an oil separator may be a good investment!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Senderofan

I think y'all would be pretty surprised with the volume that you can collect. I did a trip of about 230 miles after installing my JLT oil/air separator. This trip was @ 75% interstate and the rest was two lane. I checked the collection reservoir when I got home....there was at least a tablespoon of oil that had been collected. I followed recommendations and installed this on the passenger side only...so I'm hoping the driver's side isn't pumping out the same volume.

Anyway....I sure don't like the idea of that much oil getting sent into the intake manifold. Perhaps it doesn't cause a problem...but I just can't imagine its a good thing for these vehicles for the long term.

Wayne
Old 07-15-2012, 09:17 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Senderofan
I think y'all would be pretty surprised with the volume that you can collect. I did a trip of about 230 miles after installing my JLT oil/air separator. This trip was @ 75% interstate and the rest was two lane. I checked the collection reservoir when I got home....there was at least a tablespoon of oil that had been collected. I followed recommendations and installed this on the passenger side only...so I'm hoping the driver's side isn't pumping out the same volume.

Anyway....I sure don't like the idea of that much oil getting sent into the intake manifold. Perhaps it doesn't cause a problem...but I just can't imagine its a good thing for these vehicles for the long term.

Wayne
One of the carolina members got the driver's side catch can (sleeper gt) and ran it for a few hundred miles (maybe more) and didn't catch a drop before installing his supercharger.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Joel_M

Originally Posted by kingGingy5.0
I would keep saving and start out with the supercharger...you can run 7 PSI safely and keep it as a DD and see more gains then the current bolt ons. I have most of the bolt-ons you listed and if I could do it over I would of just saved and went with the supercharger. I would also suggest getting an oil seperator asap
Ok I will def take the advice on this, as coming from a turbo'd car, I will utilize the oil separator.

As for the supercharger, I will for one weigh it out and see the price for gains ratio and also try to be patient enough to save up for the supercharger instead of buying littler things here and there.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:20 AM
kingGingy5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
Off topic, but king gray: Which springs did you use on your car in sig and did you powder coat the brembo wheels?
There 1 inch lower springs from Ford..... No its not powder coat, its just plasti dip. I just wanted to see what it would look like first before getting them done. I like the black rim look but not sure about the powder coat. My buddy got his rims powder coated and there all scratched up after a couple months so im thinking I just might buy black rims. The plasti dip is holding up alot longer then I thought.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Senderofan

Originally Posted by clowe1965
One of the carolina members got the driver's side catch can (sleeper gt) and ran it for a few hundred miles (maybe more) and didn't catch a drop before installing his supercharger.
Well...not sure what the difference would be...other than I have a Boss?

This is what I collected...much more than nothing...glad I installed this.

Wayne
Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Senderofan
Well...not sure what the difference would be...other than I have a Boss?

This is what I collected...much more than nothing...glad I installed this.

Wayne
You caught that on the driver side or the passenger side? Its the driver side that has been reported to catch nothing.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Senderofan

I installed this on the passenger side....which has been reported in many threads on various forums...to be the side that pukes out the oil in Naturally Aspirated engines. Evidently, one would need to install one of these on both sides with a force fed engine. But.....this just might be something the Boss motor does...based on what the guy with the GT has reported???? Either way....I feel better not having the inside of my intake coated in oil.

Here's a picture ...the collecting reservoir is just behind the coolant bottle...you can see the lines from the passenger side valve cover and to the intake manifold. Takes about 60 seconds to rmove the old line and install the collection system.

Wayne

Quick Reply: New to Forum & Mustang World