Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Boss tunes

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:45 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Default Boss tunes

Hey guys,
Doing some early research into potential next vehicle and have a question.

If I get a supercharger package (say brenspeeds Vortech kit) can I use the canned tune that comes with there kit on a Boss?

Say you have the extra key that gives the car the cammed sound. I have read before about the issues where they tried to make a ghost cam tune on the GTs and that some of the options are not open to a tuner. If I had that key, and went to a shop to have the car custom tuned, would they be able to do it using the tune the PCM loads off that key or do I end up having to go with a more defualt tune?

Thank you if any of you have insight into these questions.

-Jason
Old 07-18-2012, 02:47 PM
wproctor411
1st Gear Member

Call Brenspeed or Vortech direct. They will be happy I help you. Brenspeed is very busy so you may have to hold or leave a message.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:39 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I'd be interested to know as well how the key works. Does it simply switch the computer over to another map, because if so, that would rock to have two custom tunes available that you could switch to quickly. That's one thing I love about piggybacks over tunes. Our 335i can have 5 different maps running that you can change on the fly as you drive. Someone wants to have a little fun on an empty road . . . Meth map engaged.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:33 AM
Senderofan

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Hey guys,
Doing some early research into potential next vehicle and have a question.

If I get a supercharger package (say brenspeeds Vortech kit) can I use the canned tune that comes with there kit on a Boss?

Say you have the extra key that gives the car the cammed sound. I have read before about the issues where they tried to make a ghost cam tune on the GTs and that some of the options are not open to a tuner. If I had that key, and went to a shop to have the car custom tuned, would they be able to do it using the tune the PCM loads off that key or do I end up having to go with a more defualt tune?

Thank you if any of you have insight into these questions.

-Jason
Jason:

I was in contact with Brenspeed about tuning options and/or a supercharger for my 2013 Boss. After a few emails back and forth...this is what I was instructed to do:

"Go with the track key. We do not offer custom tuning for the 2013 Boss yet as we havent had a car in our area yet. We are located in a VERY rural area."

I'm still hoping that they get their hands on a Boss...to develop tunes....they seem to provide great tunes and products.

Also...I've been told that I would need to reflash my ECM back to stock factory settings before installing any tunes....I currently have the Track Key installed. I've been told this by Bama, Steeda and I think Brenspeed also mentioned this.

As far as the rough idle portion of Track Key...it's o.k. If I could disable it permenantly..I would.....this is a high tech, four cam engine...trying to make it something from 1960's or early 70's......just doesn't quite pull it off. Feels more like the engine is missing rather than a lopey cam.

Good Luck,

Wayne
Old 07-19-2012, 04:35 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wproctor411
Call Brenspeed or Vortech direct. They will be happy I help you. Brenspeed is very busy so you may have to hold or leave a message.
Already called brenspeed. They said they can tune the car for the kit they sell, but like most, can not get the lopey idle.

From what I have seen before (when ghost cam tunes were around) the parameters are not opened in the tuner software they use to be able to get lopey idle and have driveability.

Originally Posted by Senderofan
I currently have the Track Key installed
When you say installed, all I have seen is the actual key. does your stock key still run the stock tune or do you have to flash it every time?

My suspision is that there are two addresses in the factory computer and that the track key simply accesses the second tune that the factory key does not access.

Originally Posted by Senderofan
Feels more like the engine is missing rather than a lopey cam
What do you think a lopey cam is? Its missfiring at idle due to overlap that makes up in efficiency at higher RPM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Senderofan

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Already called brenspeed. They said they can tune the car for the kit they sell, but like most, can not get the lopey idle.

From what I have seen before (when ghost cam tunes were around) the parameters are not opened in the tuner software they use to be able to get lopey idle and have driveability.

When you say installed, all I have seen is the actual key. does your stock key still run the stock tune or do you have to flash it every time?

My suspision is that there are two addresses in the factory computer and that the track key simply accesses the second tune that the factory key does not access.

What do you think a lopey cam is? Its missfiring at idle due to overlap that makes up in efficiency at higher RPM.
Yes...the Boss evidently has an ECM that has two independant sides to it. One side can have all the Track Key parameters...which are obtained from Ford racing and downloaded ( Per paid license ) to the ECM of a Boss...which is then only activated by the "Red" key and factory OEM settings for the "Silver" key. Evidently one can down load tunes on the "Silver Key" side.....but then lose those settings when the "Red Key" or Track Key is used. There is a very precise download sequence with the Track Key installation....it requires the vehicle to have a battery charger in service as the program is installed. I was charged one hour of labor in addition to the cost of the Track Key license.

I fully understand what a Lopey idle is with a "Big Cam". What one experiences with the "Lopey Idle" in the Track Key is a very intermittent shake of the vehicle...with no ( Zero ) change in RPM. This subtle shimmy...is not particularly pleasing...more of an irritant. This is a modern day, 4v/ cylinder.... high performance V8 that runs as smooth as silk to its 7500 rpm limit. With days of old...you could nearly walk the vehicle forward as it went through its lope.....this modern day immitation is something different. Ultimately...it's " Different strokes for different folks." I am not a fan of the lopey idle.....give me more hp or increase the redline a couple hundred rpm and I'll be satisfied. If you think you'd like the lopey idle...or ghost tune....more power to you.

Any way you slice it...Enjoy this new 5.0 motor! I'm a huge RoadRunner Fan...closely behind the mighty Scorpion!!!

Wayne

Last edited by Senderofan; 07-19-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Im in the other boat. I love the lopey idle. Sure its not the same as the 5.0 but come on. Lopey idle with just a key change instead of a cam swap. Cant beat it on a brand new car.

As far as the tuning goes ive heard you cant tune on the trackey only the silver key and it can mess with the trackey function.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Senderofan

Well...As I said..."Diferent strokes for different folks." Some folks think the lopey idle is the best thing since Wonder Bread...some of us...not so much. Guess it's nice to have that option available. I just appreciate the 5.0 in its entirety...I think Ford did a nice job.

Wayne
Old 07-20-2012, 08:38 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

well I'm looking at the Boss because of all the motor work done to it, including a minor cam. I know siggy is the only one in this thread that knows me cause I have been quiet on the forms for a while but for reference, here is my car I recently got rid of:
http://youtu.be/ne9CCp_I_Po

So short of pulling the motor apart to more aggressively cam it I like the idea of a drivable car with a lopey idle. My last car sounded sick, and made really nice power, but the drivability of it really took a hit.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Senderofan

JD:

It is very nice to know that the rotating assembly is forged components. The only potential weak area seems to be the rods. Eveidently they are "Powder Forged" units. They are stronger than GT rods....but if you plan on a supercharger....I've read that an upgrade might be considered. Having said that....in stock form....I've never experienced a motor that pulls beyond 7,000 rpm like the RoadRunner....other than my friends Lamborghini Mercielago...which redlines @ 8K.

If you're thinking of supercharging...there is a guy on another forum thats done that to his Boss. I believe he's putting 600 hp at the rear wheels....so this "Roadrunner" motor is pretty stout in factory form. If this is your plan...you might want to skip the Track Key...since most likely you'd have to wipe it out of the memory and install another tune.

BTW.. not sure I fully explained the whole Track Key experience adequately. What happens....your Ford dealers' parts guy contacts the Ford rep. The license is purchased through the rep. Ford Racing sends a packet to your dealer that includes all the instructions plus a "Blue sheet" that has your individual license code. The tech at your Ford dealer follows a very strict protocol for installing the Track Key. Part of this entails having the car connected to a laptop with up to date Ford software and directly wired to the internet. The programming comes directly from Ford Racing division....much of the parameters come from the Boss R/S racing experience. The car needs to have a battery charger connected for the entire install.....they evidently have to leave the ignitikon key in the "On" position for the entire install process @ 1 hour.

In any event...Good luck....I absolutely love my Boss...The only weak element from the get-go was the shifter. This has been improved by 90%+ through the installation of a MGW shifter and RedLine MTL fluid. My personal goal for my Boss is to have @ 440-450 rwhp naturally aspirated. Seems we can accomplish this with LT headers, off raod X pipe, tune and CAI.

Wayne

Last edited by Senderofan; 07-20-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Boss tunes