Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

K&N oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Enochius
1st Gear Member

Default K&N oil filter

I am getting ready for my first oil change on 2012 5.0 and I am trying to decide on a filter. I am thinking hard about getting the K&N performance gold but thought I would ask if anyone has used it or maybe has another filter for me to check out.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM
DougTx

I know I'll get flamed for this, but I always just use Fram oil filters. Never had any problems.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:54 PM
claudermilk
1st Gear Member

Yeah, probably. The enthusiast community for my last car did a lot of testing & the Frams were the worst they looked at.

I have used the K&N filters, and they did fine for me.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 PM
griffojm

I use K&N oil filters on my wife's Edge, on my TSX, and will use them on my Mustang when it needs an oil change (still have 3 weeks for delivery, so the cart is ahead of the horse).

The only issues I've had with Fram is that damned grip coating. It makes it impossible to put an oil filter wrench on it! Somehow, they always slip off.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:25 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I've used K&N oil filters for years. No problems...
Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

K&N's are overpriced considering what you get, IMO. The Motorcraft filters have been tested and did quite well. As long as you're not going much beyond 8,000 miles between oil/filter changes, the OE filter is fine and a good price. If you want great filtering and the capability to go 15,000 miles or more, look into Amsoil's Ea high efficiency filters.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The last few K&Ns I've bought were $12. I guess I don't view that as a cost issue when I buy 1 a year...
Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Motorcraft filters are considered really good on every website i've gone to they come highly recommended. I haven't seen a lot of places recommending the K&N filters but they might be good.

The fram is the universally hated filter though. There are horror stories associated with them and if you take them apart you can see just how cheap/cheesy they are. testing shows they don't perform well. Yes, many people use them without issue, but just because you don't have an issue doesn't mean it's a good filter or wont someday cause an issue
Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 AM
bismark64
1st Gear Member

I have read nothing but good things about the K&N filter, However after researching for my own 2011 5.0, I purchased Mobil-1 extended life filters and 5w-20 ext life synthetic oil.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I think generally speaking these days, people end up worrying about this far too much. There are millions of cars on the road lasting 100-250k miles that get nothing but "whatever" oil from Jiffy Lube and crappy cheap filters. The fact that you change the oil is more important overall than the oil itself assuming you are using basically any major brand. IMO the filter is more important than the oil, so I'd always recommend spending the extra few dollars for a good quality filter.

Quick Reply: K&N oil filter