Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 Brembo Brake Package?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Juice5.0

Default 2012 Brembo Brake Package?

For those of you that have the Brembo Brake Pkg option on your 5.0 I have a few questions?

1) How noticeable is the improved handling...how would you rate it?
2) How does this suspension handle during everyday driving?
3) Do you feel it was worth the extra $$ for the option?
4) Any other comments?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I have haven't driven a non-Brembo 11+ stang, so I couldn't compare.

The larger, wider wheel/tire combo helps no doubt. The ride is as stiff as my 4.0 was with Steeda Sport springs..but comfortable.

I've suprized a lot of passengers regarding handling. My favorite time was taking my brother for a drive in northern Tenn. It was his first time in the car..and I remember him screaming "a mustang can't do this..stop!".. I was cutting down some mountain roads in 2nd like a bat out of hell

Honestly, it just looks right. Those big brakes look great in the wheels. The rear brakes look tiny in comparison. I got this package because it was everything I would have done without it. I haven't had to mod this car as a result..and it's my daily driver. That trip to Tenn, btw..was from Missouri with me, my wife, and 4 year old son and 7 year old daughter. All in this car and 0 complaints. The car feels like a Cadillac in 6th on the highway.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

1) How noticeable is the improved handling...how would you rate it? - very noticeable. I drove multiple stangs before getting mine. it is much stiffer and harsher but it handles a lot better, or at least the stiffness inspires enough confidence to push the car harder.

2) How does this suspension handle during everyday driving? - I disliked the feel over bumps in the road mostly. I wouldn't say it was super stiff, but it did not absorb them well! I changed out the suspension to lower the car and improve the ride quality while maintaining handling characteristics. if the handling package is a big part of the reason why you want the package, you may or may not be satisfied. it was not entirely comfortable for me but most brembo pkg owners seem to disagree with me on that one!

3) Do you feel it was worth the extra $$ for the option? - hell yes. I bought it for the brakes alone, the other perks were just extras. even if it was only the front brakes, it's worth it. check out http://brembo50com.memberlodge.com/ if you're not aware of what else it offers.

4) Any other comments? don't be disappointed when you find out there are not rear brembos on the car - it's due to the need for floating calipers to accommodate the live axle. bit of an eye sore, but the majority of your braking power is in the front anyways.. : )

good luck with your decision!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Black Fire
1st Gear Member

Like Sandman I have no experience with any other Mustang setup, in fact the last Mustang I drove was my Buddies `01 Bullitt when it was new.
I came from the F-body crowd and had a well setup Autocross style Bird. I would say the handling of my Brembo Stang is very comparable to my old Firebird but is much more forgiving as far as ride is concerned. Ordering the Brembo's was a no brainer for me once I found out what came with the package for the cost.
Check this link for more info on Brembo Package.
http://brembo50.com/Default.aspx?pageId=1130035
Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Juice5.0

Guys,

Thanks for all of that information. I am a bit surprised to hear there are no Brembo brakes in the rear. However, I know why now....and yes, most of the breaking power is in the front so thats helpful. I was leaning toward getting that package anyway. I was looking for reasons to talk me out of it. I would appreciate more comments as there never is too much info.

FYI,

I previously owned a 01 Corvette Z06....now that was a stiff ride and I had no complaints with it during "regular" driving. I actually thought it handled most bumps well. So, if that information helps regarding the tolerance of bumps/handling in comparison to the mustangs Brembo brake pkg.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Juice5.0

Originally Posted by Entaille
1) How noticeable is the improved handling...how would you rate it? - very noticeable. I drove multiple stangs before getting mine. it is much stiffer and harsher but it handles a lot better, or at least the stiffness inspires enough confidence to push the car harder.

2) How does this suspension handle during everyday driving? - I disliked the feel over bumps in the road mostly. I wouldn't say it was super stiff, but it did not absorb them well! I changed out the suspension to lower the car and improve the ride quality while maintaining handling characteristics. if the handling package is a big part of the reason why you want the package, you may or may not be satisfied. it was not entirely comfortable for me but most brembo pkg owners seem to disagree with me on that one!

3) Do you feel it was worth the extra $$ for the option? - hell yes. I bought it for the brakes alone, the other perks were just extras. even if it was only the front brakes, it's worth it. check out http://brembo50com.memberlodge.com/ if you're not aware of what else it offers.

4) Any other comments? don't be disappointed when you find out there are not rear brembos on the car - it's due to the need for floating calipers to accommodate the live axle. bit of an eye sore, but the majority of your braking power is in the front anyways.. : )

good luck with your decision!
I read the Brembo page you mentioned on what the package comes with, etc. I have to say I am pretty impressed. The package also takes care of my idea of getting wider wheels/tires (although I may still go a bit wider in the rear?). Thanks again for that info...very helpful.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:12 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Juice5.0
For those of you that have the Brembo Brake Pkg option on your 5.0 I have a few questions?

4) Any other comments?

Thanks
I owned a 11 GT w/o for a few weeks.....I have been in the 12 brembo for a few months now.

1. At first I could feel a good difference - overall tigher - my wife as passenger could also tell. Now that the hype is over - it's just plain bumpy lol. Overall handling is better.

2. Handles my fatass driving hard from time to time. I just do DD and nothing else. I don't really push the limits on turns/curves.

3. Yes, the tires alone cost what the whole package cost; $1695. You're getting better looking calipers/rotors up front, decent 19" wheels. ALso comes with FRPP LCA's that come with GT 500 and this brace http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-lca-brace-0512.html
as far as value it's a great deal.

Last edited by 99gtstang; 08-03-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Juice5.0

4) Any other comments?

Thanks
1) This one is noticeably stiffer than than my stock '07 GT. However, I added Steeda Sport/Koni STR.T and IMO, this set up was a tad more stiffer than the Brembo package. The Brembo package on my 2012 handles much better than the stock set up on my '07 GT...night and day difference.

2) I bought my 2012 in September, 2011 and it was a daily driver until March of this year. So no issues as a daily driver.

3) Well worth the $$$'s. I originally didn't want it. Then the more I searched for a GT, I realized I wanted it. I like the wheels too. The wheels almost make up the price of the package on its own.

4) I say go for it. Add the 3.73's while you're at it.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:27 AM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

I drove a brembo and a non brembo back to back, and the non bremno felt so squishy. Brakes, handling, steering, everything felt numb. Definitely worth it for improved handling.

As far as ride quality, frankly, it sucks. Very bouncy. It gave my wife headaches when i first bought it. Surprisingly though, after installing Eibach prokit springs, the ride is more tolerable, and the handling is better.. maybe its the progressive spring rate?? Iunno.

Absolutely worth the $$$. 100% no doubt about it. I think the brembo wheels are just about the best lookin wheels you can put on these new mustangs.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Slappy3243
1st Gear Member

I am glad I got the Brembo package. This is my first Mustang, so I did a lot of research. I wanted the Track Pack, but I would of had to order one. Luckily, I found a car with the Brembo package and 3.73's out back, so it worked out. Anyway, the ride is very smooth when it needs to be. It can be a bit rough if you hit a lot of little bumps in the road back to back. It certainly adds to the handling though. My 4th gen F-body with the Bilstein suspension package feels a bit better though, but that car is much lower to the ground.

Quick Reply: 2012 Brembo Brake Package?